• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to create a timeline?

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know PSE allows me to tag pictures by date/time taken, and for pictures taken on a phone or digital camera, that is already done for me.

But for older pictures, taken on a film camera, I have to guess at the dates. Not too serious a problem, I suppose, but where it gets annoying is when there are photos on the same date. A wedding, for example. Now I know there was a wedding before the reception, but on PSE that makes no difference, and so as I scroll through my pictures, I see the reception before the events at the church. I suppose a solution would be arbitrarily assign times to the series of photos, but why lock in that X occurred at, say, 530pm, when it could have been hours before or after?

Is there a way for me to re-order the pictures without making dates/times up?

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create an Album for the files, you can place the photos in whatever order you want by click and drag.  The Album sort order is only available when you have an Album selected.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.02.24_00h08m18s_002_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. From what I read Albums seemed to be for transitory purposes, but I will give this a think.

Here's another question, somewhat related: is there anyway to tag a picture (or really, a group of them) by decade? For example, these photos happened in the 80s (ie 198x) and these photos happened in the 90s (199x) and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several ways.

If you mean tagging in the catalog, add a keyword to all the files within the interval: after 31/12/1999 and before 01/01/2010.

If you want to reorganize your folder tree, create new master folders and either select your decade as described above and move the files to that mastr folder. Or if you already have folders by years, drag and drop them from the folder panel in tree view.

Albums are frequently used for transitory purpose, but whenever you need a chronological order, you generally don't want to lose that info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding to Michel's excellent answer... you could also used the Saved Searches feature instead of indivdually tagging all the images from a specific decade.

1. Go to Find > By Saved Searches

2. Click the New Search Query button

3. In the New Search Query dialog window, enter the following for all photos from the 1980s and click OK.

saved-search.jpg

4. You can then repeat that search at any time by going back to the Find > Saved Searches dialog box:

saved-search-02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Can you please elaborate on the third and fourth sentences? My photos *are* in folders by year and if I understand correctly, all I have to do is click on the folder I want and the relevant pix will be displayed?

That might help somewhat but does not address my larger desire to create some order in the organizer. From Greg's earlier answer, I can do that in albums but not in organizer without creating some fictional dates for when the photos were taken. By way of example, I have a number of old family photos from the 1950s. I wouldn't mind grouping them as 195x, but that isn't possible. And assigning dates would bea wild ass guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just to add some more ways to skin this cat, you can use the Timeline (Ctrl+L).  See this article for more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines