• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem making a DVD from a slideshow

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have burned many slideshows onto DVD’s in the past but am having problems now, due to age and memory and only being semi computer literate.
Let me start by pointing out that it has been a few years since I burned the last slideshow and in the meantime I upgraded my computer and now have W10. I am using PSE11. I burned four slideshows to a DVD-R. The slideshows were first converted to WMV NTSC (720x480) format. I tried to play the DVD with my PVR on the Big TV screen and got a message that it was not the correct type of disk. It is the same as previous disks that I had used, DVD-R, except a different manufacturer, Magnasonic rather than Maxell.
One thing that was different--I used the Windows 10 burner. I cannot remember how I burned them on the previous computer. The slideshows are present on the DVD. What is the problem?  Is there a better way?

Many thanks if you can help.

Bob

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I've never burned a slideshow to DVD so hope this helps a little.  Note that clicking example images in the article makes them slightly larger though not by a lot.  You may also find this tutorial helpful.  It isn't too long or too techy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Phinney but I have made many slideshows and that I can remember.  It is burning to a disk that is giving me a problem.

bo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've posted a couple of times in these forums on this issue.

For example: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/slideshows-to-dvd/m-p/10993665

Which one has your current question? Have you seen the previous responses?

It's better to add follow up responses to your same forum post rather than post multiple times on the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, re your comment "posted a couple of times".  Your are correct.  After my first post I continued to research and try things and ultimately succeeded to make a WMV version of the slideshow and burn it to a disk.  When the DVD would not play on my TV via my PVR I wrote to the forum again. DVD's burned years ago currently can be played but the DVD I burned yesterday will not.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, Bob.

Just keep all follow up in this discussion by adding further replies so it's all in one place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob check this info out in Windows Support .  I don't have any more suggestions, hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, the problem you are having is that a DVD that plays in a settop player must be burned according to the DVD specifications which means that the video must be in mpg2 format.  There are other specifications that I won't bore you with.  Elements 11 Slideshows can only create a .wmv file (or pdf).  These can be burned to DVD as a data file and the DVD file can be played on any computer.  If you had Premiere Elements 11, I believe the program could convert the wmv file to the required DVD mpeg2 format.  It is also possible that you had a set top DVD player that could play a data file from a DVD.  Not all do.

Your problem probably has nothing to do with the type of DVD media that you are burning (DVD+/- or DVD-R).

Does your big TV have a USB port?  If so, you can create your wmv file and copy it to a USB flash drive and try to play it from there.  If your TV does not recognize the wmv file, then you can convert it to mp4 format using a well-regarded free utility called Handbrake.  Most modern TVs will play an mp4 video file.

If you really want to burn a file to a DVD that will play on a set top box, there are a number of reasonably priced burning software programs.  Take a look at Ashampoo whose utilities I have been using for years.  There is currently an offer on the "Deals" page for a $15 burning software programThere is even a free burning software on this page.  But I'm not sure if it will do what you want.   However, it's worth giving it a try.

Added:  I have downloaded the free version and it will not create a DVD from a video file.  The paid version will do everything you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg.  Yes I want a DVD.  

You suggest it has nothing to do with the type of DVD media that I am  burning.

I think I agree.  Windows 10 does something different than my old computer did when I burn a slideshow.

I do not understand the difference and how to remedy it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reviewed how I burned the DVD's last week and may have found something I did differently.  Previously I burned the DVD's using VCD-NTSC (352x240) format but this time I used the DVD-NTSC (720x480) format thinking the higher resolution would be better for my large screen TV.  Could this be the reason the DVD would not play?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob said:

I reviewed how I burned the DVD's last week and may have found something I did differently.  Previously I burned the DVD's using VCD-NTSC (352x240) format but this time I used the DVD-NTSC (720x480) format thinking the higher resolution would be better for my large screen TV.  Could this be the reason the DVD would not play?

Yes, it partly explains it.  A VCD, as its name implies, must be burned to a CD disc.  It is a very low resolution format.  Many, but not all, DVD players can play a VCD disc (burned to a CD).

I don't have Elements 11 on my computer right now, but I do have Elements 12.  I believe the slideshow features and functions are the same.  So, here are the options. 

First, after you create your slideshow in the editor, click on the Output button shown in the following screenshot.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.03.24_20h23m06s_017_.png

In the dialog that opens, you can Burn to Disc and this will create a VCD, as long as you use a CD.  As the dialog says, this will create a Video CD that can be played on your TV using a DVD player:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.03.24_20h15m17s_016_.png

If you click on the Save as File option, you get the following dialog:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.03.24_20h14m09s_015_.png

I can see how you may have been confused by this because one of the options is to create a file that one would think is compatible with a DVD -NTSC (720x480).  However, it is only the pixel resolution of the WMV file that is displayed and created.  As I have explained earlier, a wmv file must be converted to mpeg2 before it can be used on a DVD.  A disc authoring program would be able to use the resolution of the wmv file and convert it without too much loss in quality.  However, Photoshop Elements does not do this.  That's why it says you must create the DVD in Premiere Elements which had that capability in version11.

. . .  So, if you burned the wmv file to a DVD, all you get is a data DVD with a video file on it that can be played on a computer, just like you could play the same file if were stored on a hard drive.

The bottom line is that you need a DVD authoring program to create a disc that will play your slideshow on a TV via a DVD player.  You did not respond to my earlier suggestion that you check out the reasonably-priced Ashampoo burning software that will create such a DVD from a wmv file.  (Nor did you comment on my suggestion of using a USB stick if your TV has that option.)

Some final words:  A Video CD is probably not going to look very good on a large screen TV.  At least if you burn to a DVD using a higher resolution wmv file and a DVD authoring program, you should get better picture quality.  In fact Elements 11 can burn a file that has 1024x728 maximum resolution.  However, all of these videos will be in 4:3 aspect ratio and will have black bars on the side of an HD TV (which is 1920x1080).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Greg for sticking with me. I am finding some of the concepts difficult to get my head around. I hope I am learning
• All the slideshows I made before my new computer were made on DVD’s and probably with VCD-NTSC. Their quality is very good actually. I do not remember what I used to burn the disks. I think I had an app for burning disks because when I played the DVD I would also get a menu if there was more than one slideshow. Maybe it converted to mpeg2 ??
• You indicated that the files must be burned to a CD, but mine definitely were not. My former DVD player and my current PVR both play the 13 slideshow DVD’s I previously made.
• I did check the Ashampoo items-- there were so many it boggled me. I also fear downloads of items found on the web. Which one do you recommend? It’s only purpose would be to burn slideshows and there won’t be many more I’m afraid. Would the Ashampoo item burn the DVD-NTSC (720x480) file? Would I get a better result than the VCD-NTSC (352X240)? Are there some free, safe authoring programs.
• Where did you find the way to burn a 1024x728 resolution with Elements 11?
• I wish Adobe would enhance their Photoshop Elements by adding a way to burn slideshows to a DVD or provide a low cost app that could be used in conjunction with slideshows made with Photoshop Elements. For some, purchasing Premier Elements does not make sense just to burn a slideshow does not make sense.

Again, Thank You Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, if you are still following this thread, what do I look for when I but a DVD burner?  When I go to the Ashampoo website you recommended there is plethora of possibilities.  Currently my only need is to burn a Photoshop Slideshow to a DVD.  I do not even know which of their many products will do the job. 

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Bob, I'm still following this thread.  Unfortunately, I took a closer look at the Ashampoo offerings, and none of them seem to offer a DVD authoring tool.  In other words, they cannot take a wmv video file and turn it into a DVD that will play on any DVD player.  All they can do is burn the file to a DVD as data storage.  Such a DVD can then be played on any computer and on some DVD players.

I have done a quick Google search and found a few free DVD authoring software programs but you have to be careful that the programs are not just free trials that require a purchase for permanent use.  Most authoring programs are in the $50 range.  Here is a link to a site that discusses some "free" alternatives.  But the No. 1 choice is actually a free trial for something that has an annual subscription of $35 or a permanent license of $55.  The ones that appear to be truly freeware have a number of limitations, but you may want to try a couple of them to see if they work for you.  I have to wonder about any DVD authoring software that is free, because I believe that any software that has this burning feature has to pay a license fee to the DVD Consortium.  I have not tried any of these programs and won't endorse them.

Bob said:
Where did you find the way to burn a 1024x728 resolution with Elements 11?

The earliest version I have on my computer is Elements 12.  Here is the slideshow output dialog showing a Maximum resolution at the top of the list.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.03.30_14h19m14s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, my new computer is actually 2.5 years old.  I have a computer guru who buys computers from insurance companies, checks them out and sells them.  He also transfers all the files from the old computer.  Great price!   He still had my old computer and he checked and found that it had a "Nero" DVD burner.  It is probably what I had used to burn the slideshows.  I shall continue to pursue my goal and I will let you know my successes.

I still think Adobe should provide an DVD authoring software that would allow Photoshop Elements users to burn their slideshows to a DVD for television viewing.  There are a number of ways they could do it--free download, pay for download or part of the Photoshop Elements package.  Having to buy Premier Elements is overkill.  

Thanks,  Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have found a solution to finding a way to burn my WMV slideshow files to a  DVD so that I can show them on my larger TV screen.  It is a free download from DVDStyler and the company Fosshub assures that it is a clean product.  I am waiting for my computer expert to give me the go ahead before I download it.

Greg, if you are still following this trail, I would appreciate your comments on DVDStyler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it will do the job.  But be careful of any adware that it may install on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded DVDStyler and it went well.  I have watched a few videos re "how to use the software" but need to investigate further before I try to burn a DVD of my PSE slideshows. Many video producers make a lot of assumptions about their viewers knowledge.   My first hurdle is the aspect ratios that I use.  My camera photos are 4:3 and my TV is 16:9.  I can alter the aspect ratio of my TV to suit the source.  I also can make my DVD using any aspect ratio.  I also realize that WMV NTSC has an aspect ratio of 720:480,  I know enough to be confused but not enough to know what is the best route to follow.  

I would appreciate any help.  Thank you.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I would use the same aspect ratio as the original video to burn the disc.  Your TV or DVD player will play it back with the appropriate black bars on the side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Greg.  That seemed obvious but I'd rather hear from someone more knowledgeable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greg, I just read my last response and I see that it can be misinterpretted.

I thought using the same aspect ratio would be correct and I was pleased to hear someone with more knowledge about these things agree.

Thank you,

BobS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines