Highlighted

Problem opening moderately sized .psd files in Photoshop Elements 14.1 since applying OSX 10.14.6

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running in to a strange problem since applying OSX 10.14.6 update two days ago, opening any moderately large .psd files can now take upwards of 20 minutes. Appears to be a threshold somewhere around 25MB file size. Initially, most of the file will load, then the remainder will take forever.

I noted that the Mac Spotlight app was going nuts with CPU utilization while indexing, spawning multiple mds processes. So I have excluded the hard disk within Spotlight. CPU utilization has dropped to normal levels, but still the same problem opening files.

I suspect something going on with indexing is causing problems with opening moderately sized files - has anyone else seen this issue?

Currently running:

Adobe Photoshop Elements 14.1 (20151206.m.83730) x 64

OSX Mojave 10.14.6

How to exclude your hard disk from spotlight indexing:

System Preferences / Spotlight / Privacy / + / Select entire disk or individual folders

Reducing file size does have some impact, increasing the percentage of the file that initially loads, but still wait forever for the rest of the file to do so.

Thanks for any feedback or assist.

Message was edited by: Sahil Chawla

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problem opening moderately sized .psd files in Photoshop Elements 14.1 since applying OSX 10.14.6

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running in to a strange problem since applying OSX 10.14.6 update two days ago, opening any moderately large .psd files can now take upwards of 20 minutes. Appears to be a threshold somewhere around 25MB file size. Initially, most of the file will load, then the remainder will take forever.

I noted that the Mac Spotlight app was going nuts with CPU utilization while indexing, spawning multiple mds processes. So I have excluded the hard disk within Spotlight. CPU utilization has dropped to normal levels, but still the same problem opening files.

I suspect something going on with indexing is causing problems with opening moderately sized files - has anyone else seen this issue?

Currently running:

Adobe Photoshop Elements 14.1 (20151206.m.83730) x 64

OSX Mojave 10.14.6

How to exclude your hard disk from spotlight indexing:

System Preferences / Spotlight / Privacy / + / Select entire disk or individual folders

Reducing file size does have some impact, increasing the percentage of the file that initially loads, but still wait forever for the rest of the file to do so.

Thanks for any feedback or assist.

Message was edited by: Sahil Chawla

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 08, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

That does not sound good, it might be related to operating system compatibility as Photoshop Elements 14.1 is an old software. Photoshop Elements system requirements

However, you may try the steps mentioned here and let us know if it helps: Adobe Photoshop Elements freezes in Mac Mojave

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil,

Thanks for the response, I already had Elements 14 Organizer, Photoshop Elements 14 and Photoshop Elements Editor checked in Accessibility, no change.

To be clear, I had been running the current Elements 2015 x64 under OSX 10.4.x for a year now without any issues. It only began when I updated with OSX 10.14.6 two days ago.

I'm concerned if I do upgrade to Elements 2019, the underlying problem will still be there.

Has anyone else reported this issue?

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, some more experimentation, file size does not appear to be the issue, number of layers is. If I go over 500 layers I can re-produce the problem.

That would appear to rule out an osx indexing problem, and maybe I should upgrade to 2019?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2019 0