• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with using layers with .tif format

New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to get Elements to work with layers using .tif files. The other formats I have worked without a problem. Does anyone else have this problem? Is Elements unable to work with this format? Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
Actions , How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop elements and operating system are you using?

The most likely problem is the tiff files are 16 bits/channel and need to be converted to 8 bits/channel in order to use layers.

Image>Mode>8 Bits/Channel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .tif file is already 8bit/channel but the layers aren't popping up, and is instead a flattened image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The .tif file is already 8bit/channel but the layers aren't popping up, and is instead a flattened image."

Unfortunately, that does not answer which version of photoshop elements and operating system.

Worse, that seems to indicate you can open the tif file to see the layer panel.

Can you give more info about what goes wrong, if there is a message and perhaps join a screenshot of your display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It opens as a flattend image. As if it's not even a .tif file.

I am using Windows 10 and I am using photoshop 21.2.0.

Nothing goes wrong. There are no error messages. There just isn't layers in the image. The story is months ago I downloaded the image and I used to be able to toggle layers in the same image off and on, the colors, lighting, background, etc.. and edit it. I decided a few days ago I want to work on this art but now it doesn't work! I'm also sure it's the same download file that I got months ago. I even went through my history on my browser to get the download link and still same problem. The artist didn't update the image (he would have said so anyways on Patreon).

I used to have Windows 7 and Photoshop CC 2018. I got a new SSD and installed what I currently using now.  I  plugged my old drive in, and used Windows 7 and that older version of photoshop and tried opening up the image getting the error

"Could not complete the request because it is not the right kind of document."

Not sure what the hell is going on!..

They said it could be due to administrator permission issues. I tried running photoshop (on Windows 10) as a administrator and now the image doesn't open up at all, unless I use file --> open. Something is either wrong with the image (corrupted? idk) or my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines