• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with 2020 Facial Recognition

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the issue of Elements 2020 not running facial recognition since it converted my Elements 2015 catalog.  It does NOT show "Analysing Faces" in the lower right corner and is not using CPU or Disk while sitting idle in the People tab.  Facial tags were not done in Elements 15, so I expected the program to be busy tagging all my videos.  Natta!!!  I deleted some photos from the catalog, while leaving the files in place in My Pictures folder on disk.  It did not retag the photos.  So even photo tagging is not being done anymore.

As I said, my prior version Elements 15 didn't do video tagging.  Also, I didn't have Premiere Elements 15 installed.  So with both Photoshop & Premiere Elements 2020 installed, I decided to delete all videos from the catalog, again while leaving in place on the disk, then reimporting.  Still no facial tagging. Nadda!!! It just says "Adobe Catalog" in lower right corner. No CPU and no disk access.

The Preferences are set for both Video and Photo for both People View and Smart Tagging.  I have tried turning them off, rebooting, turning them back on, rebooting.  I don't want to click the reset recognition data button because I have about 42,000 photos tagged. 

I noticed that I have 2 json folders. One in the catalogs folder and another under facial recognition.  Many of the json files, dating all the way back to 2016, have 2 bytes.  The contents are curly brackets like these:{}  Also, it would appear that the Organizer touches them because my Sync.com backup software uploads updated Date Accessed (the files I looked at stayed 2 bytes).

Any suggestions on what log to look in to see why it is not doing analysis would be appreciated.
Thanks

[Message moved and edited by Moderator]

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

billj2029259, I have moved your post to a new thread so that it gets appropriate attention.

billj2029259 said:

I deleted some photos from the catalog, while leaving the files in place in My Pictures folder on disk. It did not retag the photos. So even photo tagging is not being done anymore.

What do you mean by "it did not retag the photos"?   Are you saying that you deleted the photos from your 2020 catalog and then imported the files again, but the existing tags were not imported with the files?  Or are you talking about Smart Tags?

As for there being no face tagging taking place, are there any stacks visible in the People>UnNamed panel?  Have you unchecked the Hide Small Stacks box in the upper left of the panel?

When you installed 2020, did your Elements 15 catalog convert over to 2020, and is that the catalog you are now using?

Do you have any smart tags in the catalog?  Can you determine whether smart tagging has been completed?

Do you have Auto Creations turned on? Have any Auto Creations been generated?

Is the Elements Auto Creations 2020 process running in Task Manager?  (If you don't see any CPU activity, wait at least a minute with the computer idle and see if it starts up.)

If you double click on an untagged photo with a face that you expect to have facial recognition, so that it is in Full Screen View, what happens if you click on the Mark Face button?  Do you get any message that analysis has not been completed?  Also, if you hover over the face, do you get a circle with a text box to add a name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Greg is off immediately with his questions, just like always.  billj2029259 I even tried to talk with technical support on this before I RETURNED 2020 and went back to 2019.  Just like Greg, they think we are all stupid and it's our fault.  After upgrading to 2020 I had about 15 photos with no person tag.  In 2020 I could never get them identified.  Fortunately, I did not un-install 2019 so I went back into it and immediately all 15 people were reconized.  Facial reconizition is not working in 2020 but no one will admit it.  Like other versions, eventially they will get around to fixing it, you just have to waste time while you wait.

Greg, NONE of your questions are relevant!  billj2029259 see if you can find a copy of 2019 to upgrade to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charles, I'm not going to stop you ranting over your frustration with the program. But I will correct your misinformation based on your very limited experience with it.

Facial recognition has improved with each new version since it was first featured (and I have extensively tested and used each version).  Elements 2020 FR is the best yet, both in terms of performance and accuracy.  I recently created a new catalog of over 170,000 files.  It took several days to complete the face recognition, averaging about 2,000 images per hour.  I ended up with stacks of my close family members that exceeded 1,000 faces per stack, most with 100% recognition accuracy.  More than 18,000 total face stacks were created. So, to say that "Facial recognition is not working in [Elements] 2020" is plainly not true.  All you can truthfully say is that it didn't work for you.  Why it works for me and not for you will never be known, particularly since you refuse to answer my questions.  That's no skin off my nose.

And just to be clear, I don't think any user coming here for help is stupid.  But your post makes a very persuasive case for changing my mind.

[END OF DISCUSSION]  Feel free to rant on but don't expect a further response from me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm running Elements 2018 and the face analysis seems to run but it is painfully slow. I have roughly 140K pictures and it makes less than 1%  progress in 12+ hours. Do you have any tricks to speed this up? If I could get this to run at even half the speed of yours I would be thrilled. My PC is new in the last 3 months and built as a gaming system. I don't game but wanted the prosessing power for tasks like this. No matter what PC settings I change Elements will only even use a max of 25% of the available PC resources. Thanks for any help or guidance you can offer. 

~Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg.  Thanks for the quick response.  The photos had name tags on them with the people's names, which I did import.  But those tags don't populate the pictures in the Named tab.  After the import there was no facial analysis (as soon as thumbnail analysis was complete the CPU and disk dropped to 0% in Task Manager and stayed there).  

I have Photo & Video selected for both People View & Smart Tags.  Hide Small Stack Boxes is deselected.  

As soon as I launched Elements 2020 it converted my catalog (which is on my F drive) but for some reason put it in the ProgramData folder on my C drive.  I moved it back over to F:.  Just to check and see if maybe the conversion went bad, I created a new catalog.  I imported all 43,000+ photos and the hundred or so tags of people's names (where did Elements get these tags since this was an all new import of My Pictures folder into a new catalog?).  While it was doing the thumbnail creation I went into preferences and deselected Photos, but left Video selected.  Mainly because the biggest reason I went with the 2020 version is for the video tagging.  After the thumbnail creation was over the CPU and disk activity dropped to 0% and stayed there.  The Named tab and the Unnamed tab of People remained empty after several hours.  Nothing happened to the size of the files in FaceAnalysis folder and the json folder stayed empty.

I then went into the preferences and selected Photos.  It immediately started analyzing photos and populating the json folder and adding photos to the empty Unnamed tab.  I then deselected Photos, restarted the app and it stopped analyzeing again.  So, the first thing I need to find out is why even with a new catalog it is not doing any analysis of my mp4, m2ts, avi, and mts video files since that is the reason I abandoned Elements 15.

P.S. CharlesSBanks, it is important to clarify what is being said.  It reduces confusion and greatly improves the chances of getting the correct answer or help.  Greg wanted to know what kind of tag I was referring to.  There is more than one type of tag.  When you give a face a name Elements attaches a special type of tag that is unique from the other type tags.  This tag causes the photo to be shown in the Named tab of People in the stack corresponding to that name.  Apparently, Elements somehow associates that Name tag with the photo outside the catalog.  So, when you delete the photo from the catalog then reimport it offers to import that person's name with the photo.  HOWEVER, importing that person's name does not cause the special tag to be applied.  The photo will still need facial analysis, then show up in the UnNamed tab to be Named by the user.  That is why when I imported the 43K files into a new catalog and even though I chose to also import the 100+ tags of people's names, the Named and UnNamed tabs of People remained empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, you clearly have a handle on what is going on.  I have tried to reproduce what you are seeing/not seeing, but haven't been able to do so thus far.  All I can say is the following:

Normally, all photos are analyzed for face recognition before any video is analyzed.

Videos take a long time to analyze.

If photos are added to the catalog while video analysis is taking place, the photo analysis will take precedence.

Given your workflow thus far, I'm wondering whether one of the preferences toggles has become corrupted.  I would suggest that you try resetting the preferences file. Immediately after launching the program, press Alt+Shift+Ctrl.  A message should pop up asking if you want to delete the Settings file. Answer OK.  Then go back into preferences and turn off the photo analysis if that is what you want to do.  (I think they are all on by default.)  I have no idea whether this will work but it is worth a try and won't do any damage to your catalog.

Have you been working totally on your new catalog?  Are you getting the same results with your converted catalog.  The converted catalog should carry over any face recognition that was performed with Elements 15. (Obviously, there is no FR for videos in the earlier version.)  BTW, did you move the whole catalog folder from the default location to your F: drive, or just the catalog.pse18db file?

You asked:

I imported all 43,000+ photos and the hundred or so tags of people's names (where did Elements get these tags since this was an all new import of My Pictures folder into a new catalog?).

The tags are stored in the file metadata.  I think you have seen that when you imported the tagged files into a new catalog that you were given the option to import the tags too.  These end up in the Imported Keyword Tag category.  Since the face recognition information found in the .json files does not get imported, the tags are not associated with a face and therefore do not get placed in the system People tags.

Let us know if resetting the preferences file does anything for you.  If not, I will try to escalate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg.  I tried the reset twice.  No help.  It started doing face recognition and then stopped a few seconds after I turned off Photos in Preferences.  Interestingly, after resetting, while the Preference for Photo recognition for People is turned back on it is left off for Smart tags.  My Saved File and Cache locations remain unchanged.  The rest of my settings went back to default.

At this point, I am not concerned about my old catalog because it might have gotten corrupted and all I have to do is use my backups to go back in time before the corruption.  My last face tag was created on 12/4 so I can probably reload everything to either 12/4 or the backup before that.  All I lose is my work since 12/4.  I can let 2020 convert the last working catalog.  So if I can find out why video is not working I can resume from there.

Yes, I moved the Adobe Catalog folder to F:.  It contains all the files and subfolders under that.

I haven't been working on any catalog because I must have video recognition.  I was thinking of creating a test bed with just a dozen video files of each type (mp4, avi, etc.).  No photos.  Then importing that into yet another new catalog. It would be really great for doing that if I had access to Elements' logs.  That way I could look for thrown errors or calls to procedures that never return.

Thanks for the info on the tags being stored in the file.  That explains why my program that looks for duplicates using SHA-512 hashing doesn't see the exact same photo as a duplicate.  The photo files are a different size and must be from Elements adding the metadata to the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing to try:  Filter the grid to just videos by hitting Ctrl+1.  This will remove all photos from view.

You asked about the log files.  I think the one to look out for is found at C:\users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\18.0\Organizer\Log.txt.  If you can, click and drag it to a post here and I will forward it to the engineering team.

Yes, it would be a good idea to create a new test catalog and add just a few video files to see what  happens. 

One factor I haven't mentioned before is that video analysis only occurs for videos that are more than 5 seconds and less than 15 minutes duration.  Given the variety of video files you have I doubt whether this is an issue for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg. Thanks for the log location. I uninstalled and reinstalled Elements and used a test directory with a m2ts, 4 mp4, 3 mts, a mov, a wmv, and an avi. Nadda. Didn't do any facial recognition. Then I remember the other guy saying he still had an earlier version of Elements installed. So, I uninstalled both Elements 15 and Elements 2019. Adobe left quite a bit behind, so I deleted the directoris in Program Files and ProgramData. I then saw your message about the log location. At this point there was no directory called Organizer in the C:\users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\18.0\ directory. Suspect that was one of the things the uninstaller removed. There was an empty logs directory. There also was a Elements Home\Logs directory. But the only file was ElementsHubPRELog.txt that contained only the following single line:
[20200104T123116] Error :EliveDataDownload:HbEliveDataManager: Elive cards are not Fetched

I went ahead and renamed the ..\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer to end with .old before reinsalling Elements. This time I only installed Premiere Elements. It is apparent the Adobe Uninstaller also didn't clean out the registry because even with all the Adobe directories deleted or renamed, the first launch after installation it popped up with The 'My Catalog' catalof could not be found. Please open or create a different catalog. Anyhow, I let it create its catalog in its default location (ProgramData directory). Again, nothing gets tagged. 0% CPU and disk drive.

Now there is an Organizer directory with a log file in it. Here is the contents. It didn't log much. Do you know if there is a setting somewhere to enable debug logging? Thanks.
0 Elements Organizer 18.0.0.0 Log (5) started 2020-01-04 23:02:28.516
[20200104T230228] 0 (+ 0) Windows OS Version as reported by Qt: 0xc0
[20200104T230228] 0 (+ 0) Desktop Resolution: 3840 x 2160 Depth: 32
[20200104T230229] 533 (+ 533) Begin AMT Library calls
[20200104T230229] 885 (+ 352) End AMT Library calls
[20200104T230229] 959 (+ 74) problem opening C:\Users\willi\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\18.0\Organizer\status.dat for reading, maintaining default values
[20200104T230229] 960 (+ 1) BEGIN PtAppPreferences -> load()...
[20200104T230229] 978 (+ 18) PtAppPreferences::setDefaults m_strRevelDownloadFolder=C:\Users\willi\OneDrive\Pictures\Adobe
[20200104T230229] 978 (+ 0) Error loading .prf(preferences) file
[20200104T230229] 978 (+ 0) PtAppPreferences::load m_strRevelDownloadFolder=C:\Users\willi\OneDrive\Pictures\Adobe
[20200104T230229] 978 (+ 0) PtAppPreferences -> load() :: PRE installed only
[20200104T230229] 978 (+ 0) END PtAppPreferences -> load()
[20200104T230229] 984 (+ 6) Primary Font: Tahoma
[20200104T230229] 984 (+ 0) Loading Bitmaps...
[20200104T230232] 3813 (+2829) Loading Components...
[20200104T230232] 3813 (+ 0) Initializing BIB Host...
[20200104T230232] 3814 (+ 1) Initializing Bravo Components...
[20200104T230232] 3814 (+ 0) Initializing Bravo
[20200104T230232] 3894 (+ 80) Initializing color settings
[20200104T230232] 3971 (+ 77) Monitor color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
[20200104T230232] 3971 (+ 0) Initializing XMP
[20200104T230232] 3971 (+ 0) Initializing Plug-in Host...
[20200104T230232] 3972 (+ 1) Initializing Photoshop Adapter...
[20200104T230232] 3975 (+ 3) Initializing AS Host...
[20200104T230232] 3975 (+ 0) Initializing Plug-ins...
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+1393) BEGIN -> pse_util::add_mime_types
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+ 0) END -> pse_util::add_mime_types
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+ 0) BEGIN PtComponentLoad->InitializeAdvancedComponents()...
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+ 0) Plug-ins found:
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+ 0) C:\Program Files\Adobe\Elements 2020 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe (Sweet Pea 2 Adapter Plugin)
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+ 0) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 18\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+ 0) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 18\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi (Camera Raw)
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+ 0) Plug-Ins\Filters\Standard MultiPlugin.8bf
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+ 0) Plug-Ins\Filters\Standard MultiPlugin.8bf (PNG)
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+ 0) Plug-Ins\Filters\Standard MultiPlugin.8bf (CompuServe GIF)
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+ 0) Plug-Ins\Filters\Standard MultiPlugin.8bf (BMP)
[20200104T230233] 5368 (+ 0) Plug-Ins\File Formats\Pixar.8BI (Pixar)
[20200104T230233] 5369 (+ 1) Plug-Ins\Organizer Only\PhotoshopAdapter.apl (Photoshop Adapter)
[20200104T230233] 5369 (+ 0) File format plug-ins:
[20200104T230233] 5369 (+ 0) Camera Raw (R: tif crw nef raf orf mrw dcr mos raw pef srf dng x3f cr2 erf sr2 kdc mfw mef arw nrw rw2 rwl iiq 3fr fff srw gpr dxo heic arq cr3)
[20200104T230233] 5369 (+ 0) PNG (R: png pns)
[20200104T230233] 5369 (+ 0) CompuServe GIF (R: gif)
[20200104T230233] 5369 (+ 0) BMP (R: bmp rle dib)
[20200104T230233] 5369 (+ 0) Pixar (R: pxr)
[20200104T230233] 5369 (+ 0) Initializing CoolType
[20200104T230233] 5369 (+ 0) END PtComponentLoad->InitializeAdvancedComponents()
[20200104T230233] 5370 (+ 1) System:
[20200104T230233] 5370 (+ 0) System Architecture: AMD CPU Family:15 Model:1 Stepping:0 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2
[20200104T230233] 5370 (+ 0) Driver versions:
[20200104T230233] 5370 (+ 0) Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0
[20200104T230233] 5370 (+ 0) Support application versions:
[20200104T230233] 5370 (+ 0) Adobe Acrobat Reader Version: Not installed
[20200104T230233] 5370 (+ 0) Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed
[20200104T230233] 5370 (+ 0) Initializing OLS
[20200104T230233] 5394 (+ 24) Cleaning up old email attachments
[20200104T230233] 5395 (+ 1) Initializing Controller...
[20200104T230233] 5396 (+ 1) Initializing Platform...
[20200104T230233] 5396 (+ 0) Initializing Threads...
[20200104T230233] 5397 (+ 1) Initializing Model...
[20200104T230233] 5397 (+ 0) Begin Open Amoc Database
[20200104T230445] 136731 (+131334) End Open Amoc Database
[20200104T230517] 169156 (+32425) StopSynAgentIfConflicts called.
[20200104T230517] 169156 (+ 0) StopSynAgentIfConflicts > SyncEngine exited.
[20200104T230519] 170924 (+1768) StopSynAgentIfConflicts called.
[20200104T230519] 170924 (+ 0) StopSynAgentIfConflicts > SyncEngine exited.
[20200104T230519] 170939 (+ 15) Initializing Main Interface...
[20200104T230519] 171145 (+ 206) Main window visible
[20200104T230519] 171212 (+ 67) Finished UI init.
[20200104T230522] 174396 (+3184) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230522] 174441 (+ 45) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 174570 (+ 128) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 174579 (+ 9) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 174700 (+ 121) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 174709 (+ 9) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 174826 (+ 117) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 174835 (+ 9) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 174957 (+ 122) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 174968 (+ 11) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 175085 (+ 117) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 175093 (+ 8) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 175207 (+ 114) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 175215 (+ 8) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 175330 (+ 115) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 175340 (+ 10) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 175457 (+ 117) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230523] 175465 (+ 8) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230524] 175581 (+ 116) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230524] 175592 (+ 11) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230524] 175708 (+ 116) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230524] 175716 (+ 8) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230524] 175828 (+ 112) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230524] 175837 (+ 9) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230524] 175952 (+ 115) ########CALLING RENDER FILE.#####
[20200104T230524] 175963 (+ 11) ########COMPLETED RENDERING FILE.#####
[20200104T230524] 175988 (+ 25) reloadNavigatorAndView() initializing for a new Search
[20200104T230532] 183807 (+7819) App is now visible and ready for input...
[20200104T230532] 183809 (+ 2) Begin PtContentbgThread() construction
[20200104T230532] 183809 (+ 0) End PtContentbgThread() construction
[20200104T230613] 225100 (+41291) reloadNavigatorAndView() initializing for a new Search
[20200104T230613] 225197 (+ 97) App is now ready for input...
[20200104T230614] 225709 (+ 512) reloadNavigatorAndView() initializing for a new Search
[20200104T230614] 225728 (+ 19) App is now ready for input...
[20200104T230628] 239513 (+13785) reloadNavigatorAndView() initializing for a new Search
[20200104T230628] 239561 (+ 48) App is now ready for input...
[20200104T231153] 565436 (+30533) preferred width of prefs pane 0 (General) is 565
[20200104T231153] 565438 (+ 2) preferred width of prefs pane 1 (Files) is 741
[20200104T231153] 565439 (+ 1) preferred width of prefs pane 2 (Editing) is 538
[20200104T231153] 565441 (+ 2) preferred width of prefs pane 3 (Camera or Card Reader) is 810
[20200104T231153] 565442 (+ 1) preferred width of prefs pane 4 (Scanner) is 572
[20200104T231153] 565443 (+ 1) preferred width of prefs pane 5 (Keyword Tags and Albums) is 549
[20200104T231153] 565444 (+ 1) preferred width of prefs pane 6 (Email) is 715
[20200104T231153] 565445 (+ 1) preferred width of prefs pane 7 (Adobe Partner Services) is 779
[20200104T231153] 565447 (+ 1) preferred width of prefs pane 8 (Media-Analysis) is 372
[20200104T231153] 565448 (+ 1) preferred width of prefs pane 9 (Application Updates) is 446
[20200104T231153] 565463 (+ 15) preferred width of prefs pane 10 (Country/Region Selection) is 561

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a chance to look closer at the above log and noticed a few suspicious lines.

[20200104T230517] 169156 (+32425) StopSynAgentIfConflicts called.
[20200104T230517] 169156 (+ 0) StopSynAgentIfConflicts > SyncEngine exited.
[20200104T230519] 170924 (+1768) StopSynAgentIfConflicts called.
[20200104T230519] 170924 (+ 0) StopSynAgentIfConflicts > SyncEngine exited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your assessment of the log file. It is possible that there are some corrupt video files that are hindering the process. 

Can you try a new test catalog with just a few mp4 files in it.   They are less likely to cause problems than tape-originated files (and use different mp4 files than your other test catalog.

I will try to get the attention of the development team to figure out this issue.  Because of time zone differences, it may take a few days for them to get back to you, so please be patient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg. Really appreciate the help.  I installed Premiere and the test files on a friend's laptop. After 10 minutes it dutifully went to work and did facial recognition on the video files.  So the test video files are Ok.  The friend runs Windows 10 whereas I run Windows 10 Pro.  Wonder if that could be a factor.

I uninstalled everything Adobe (including reader), ran AVG Tuneup on the system (including registry), manually deleted all the Adobe related entries (excluding, of course, the fonts), and ran Tuneup again.  Still doesn't do video tagging on my desktop PC.

Looking forward to finding a way to increase log level.  Hopefully, it is just editing something like a Java LogManager properties file to read DEBUG or ERROR instead of INFO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

Since I could never get facial reconizition working I was thinking of asking you if you think it could be something with the environment.  I am also running Windows 10 PRO, version 1909 on an HP Pavilon Laptop.  It is a x64 i7 processor with 16gig. of memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note, I thought I had posted this earlier, but it wasn't here so posted again.  Just as well, I clarified some.

It could be for 2 reasons.  Though I think both are low probability.  First, most people don't use Windows 10 Pro so problems specific to it could take a while to show up.  Second my friend's Windows 10 Home is at version 1903 whereas our Windows 10 Pro is at 1909, released November 12.  The 1909 version is not available to my friend's laptop as evidenced by Windows Update saying there are no updates available.  His laptop is not the only one that hasn't had the new OS version released to it.  Maybe there is something in 1909 that breaks Elements and it will be noticed as more users get updated.  It could also be a while for existing users to even notice their videos no longer getting tagged.

It could also be some other software program that we both have on our system that breaks it.  I was thinking of uninstalling all my Gigabyte motherboard RGB software, Gigabyte RTX video card overclocking software, Steam, and Oculus Rift S software to see if one of them may be interfering.  But if you have the problem on a laptop without any of that kind of software, it probably is not related to that. 

Really, without Debug level logs, there really may not be a way to identify the cause.  And even with those logs, there has to be somebody to say that error is likely caused by this conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was weird!  I received an email with a link that you had responded but when I clicked on the link it took be to a webpage with a message that the message was missing.

I have NIVIDA software along with McAfee.  You are probably right that not many people use Windows 10 Pro for home.  I am a network consultant and application developer so there are reasons that I need to.

Greg, what do you think?  Could you find a Windows 10 pro computer and see if you can reproduce the issue on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I do not beleive that my inital post falls under the definition of ranting.  My point was I have been here before and wanted to raise a red flag.  This is not my first time dealing with an issue here (or with Greg).  It was always the same, I received an immediate response questioning aspects of my question then went days without a response to my detailed response.  It has now been two months since I returned 2020 and went back to 2019.  I have worked on over 30 new (scanned) photos since then plus some locations and cleanup.

Yes, it is good to clerify someone's question, but since you had an issue with facial recognition it was obvious to me the tags you spoke of were that of people.  I paid good money for 2020 and expect it to work as promised.  Facial recognition is one of the major selling points of this product and should work right after setup.  The program does not update, or install over, previous versions so it is a "clean install".  You obviously know this product by your first post, so I would expect you would know how to check settings.  It does no good for some one to boast they imported 170,000 files and all the stats that I have no idea as to how they were obtained.  I am so glad you posted that it worked on your friends computer so that the focus shifted to the environment.  THAT is a question which should have come up 2 months ago.  Obviously, Windows 10 Pro is NOW the focus and Elements 2020 does not work on (at least) two computers running that OS.  It would have been nice if Greg would have taken me up on my suggestion to try running on a Windows 10 Pro computer and reported his findings to the engineers.  If it did not work on a Windows 10 Pro machine for him it would be safe to report that it appears there is an issue running Elements 2020 on Windows 10 pro.  That may have been the issue I had with location tags a while ago.

My time is valuable and I did not sign up for R&D for Adobe.  Bill, the only help I can now provide you is my past experiance.  Take what I have said however you want.  If I was being a jerk or just wanted to vent I would have addressed this Greg directly after his response to me.

With respect

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have passed  this information on to the developers.  Win 10 Pro certainly looks to be a leading candidate as a source of the problem.  Hopefully, we will get a response from the developers in the next couple of days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg.  It would appear that Win 10 version 1909 broke facial recognition for video.  Tech support provided a zip file with several changed files and a folder to replace an existing folder (they said it would be released in an upcoming patch).

However, that did not fix the problem for me.  Ironically, before I applied the fix Organizer finally analyzed 1 of my 4 videos after several days of running (15 MB file).  After I applied the fix it analyzed another video (8 MB) but not the other 2 (68 and 79 MB).  I added a 3 more videos to the test bed which my friend's laptop quickly analyzed.  Not so much on my Win 10 Pro with the supposed patch.  I created a new catalog yesterday to see if maybe the fix needs a fresh catalog to work properly.  NONE of the videos have been analyzed even though I left my computer up and logged in overnight.

While waiting on tech support to call back, I am going to uninstall Elements then apply the fix before 1st launch.  Then see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I understand that you are working with videos but I'm curious if you have tried facial recognition for photos?  Did you talk with tech. support or did they just send you the files because of Greg contacting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They contacted me in response to Greg.  We talked on the phone for a minute and they immediately jumped onto the issue with the new version of Windows.  Doesn't seem to be helping much so I will contact them Monday and see what's next.

I don't have any problem with jpg files.  It jumps right on them.  Just problem with videos.  I am currently only offering it 7 videos.  After a while of not doing anything with any of my video files, it did process 1 file.  After I applied the patch Friday, it recognized 1 more file.  Since then I have reinstalled the app, then applied the patch before launching the program to see if that might help.  It didn't.  This time it did quickly recognize faces in the 1 file it had processed yesterday before being patched.  But in the last 4 hours it hasn't processed the file it had processed yesterday after applying the patch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some video files which on Win 10 Home version 1903 Elements performs FR on, which on Win 10 Pro version 1909 even with the patch that tech support provided still won't process.  For example, with the catalog purged of all video files except 1 such video file the debug level log shows on Win 10 Pro:

GetVideoBatchesForAnalysis begin
GetVideoBatchesForAnalysis Input Videos Size - 0
Videos list empty

versus on Win 10 Home:

GetVideoBatchesForAnalysis begin
GetVideoBatchesForAnalysis Input Videos Size - 1
GetVideoBatchesForAnalysis Video Batch Size - 1
Video Batches created successfully
Video analysis attempted
Current Videos Batch Size - 1
Unanalyzed Videos found in current batch. Creating video analysis job
Unanalyzed Videos Size - 1

Then it went on to recognize about 7 faces.

But with the patch it did analyze some other videos in my Test Bed that weren't analyzed before.  So, I tried running it against my full catalog.  Of the 2370 videos in my library it is now processing 2329 videos:

GetVideoBatchesForAnalysis Input Videos Size - 2329

I think I can accept all but 41 videos being analyzed.  Especially since I have lots of photos where faces were not recognized.  So far it has recognized 1436 faces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of the 2370 videos in my library it is now processing 2329 videos

I think I have previously mentioned that analysis will not take place on videos that are 5 seconds or less, or that are longer than 15 minutes.  If you have any iPhone live photos that are mov files, they will not be analyzed because they are under 5 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

The focus of this conversation has been on facial recognition with video files.  One item that came out of this was that there was a common factor surrounding facial reconition issues with at least two people.  That factor was having an OS of Windows 10 Pro.  We have not heard back from Bill if his issue has been resolved or not but even so, he was sent a patch which got him at least partially working.

We never got as far as to try a patch for my issue, which I am willing to take responsibilty because I got upset with things.  What I would like to explore, now, is two-fold:  Do we know if that patch will become a fix in a future update?  How do I (we) let Adobe know that there may be an issue with Windows 10 Pro and functions of Elements.  This isn't the only issue I have had with other versions and I would like to know how to move forward.  If there is an issue, then what happens if I update to 2020 and facial recognition dosen't work still?

Thanks

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it, Bill had no problems with Facial Recognition on photos, even with his Windows 10 Pro machine.  Shortly after Bill received the hotfix from the developers, Elements 2020 was updated.  It is not clear to me whether the files sent to Bill were included in the update patch.  I will try to find out the status of this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines