Problems with Camera Raw and Updating in PSE 12

New Here ,
May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop Elements Editor 12 version 12.0.

When I try to open a raw file in Camera Raw I get a message that says: "Could not complete your request because the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw,

Please visit the Camera Raw help documentation for additional information."

When I look under the Help menu I am able to find the about plugin option and so I know the Camera Raw is version 8.0.0.137.

I figured I needed to update and I saw that there was a version 12.1 update. So I chose update under the help tab and nothing happened. I restarted the program and my computer and have experienced the same issue. Any other time I ask for help I am directed to the Forum which has been no help.

Also, despite having Elements registered to me on my adobe account, I am told that I cannot chat with anyone about it because there is nothing registered to my account.

I want to be able to open .NEF files in camera raw in Photoshop Elements editor 12. Anyone have any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What nikon camera are the nefs from?

What version of windows are you using?

The newest camera raw plugin for pse 12 is 8.5.

You can look at this chart to see what version of camera raw your camera needs:

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

You could also use the free adobe dng converter to convert your nefs to dng copies which should then open in pse 12:

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 11.3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a D3500 and am using Windows 10

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the photoshop elements 12.1 update for windows:

http://prodesigntools.com/swupdl/updates/oobe/aam20/win/AdobePSE12/12.1/setup.zip

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked to Update PSE 12, thank you! However, I'm still getting the same error message when trying to open an .NEF file and the camera raw plug in is the same version

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FAQ: Will Photoshop Elements work with my camera, or Why won't my raw files open?

Each new camera model comes with its own raw file format. NEF is just the name of a family or Nikon raw files.

Any converting software issued before the launch of a new camera model can't read its format.

So, first look at the link in the above faq to see if your camera model is supported, and with which ACR converting plugin version, then check if your (old) PSE12 supports that ACR version. Or just state the precise Nikon model you have.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Greg_S. LATEST
Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your D3500 requires Camera Raw 11.1.  So, you will either have to install a newer version of Elements or use the free DNG converter linked by Jeff.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines