• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Program error - brightness/contrast

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Elements 2019 with Windows 10.

In expert mode using the smart brush tool I am trying to enhance the brightness of part of an image.

The brush tool is fine but when I select enhance, adjust lighting I get the following error message:

Could not complete the brightness/contract command because of a program error.

I have tried on two different devices and get the same message on both. I am working with RAW CR2 images but have also tried with a jpeg of the same image and get the same message.

What is causing this and how do I resolve it please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

You can select a Smart Brush preset from the Lighting section that brings up a Brightness/Contrast Adjustment layer after using the brush on your image.

bc.jpg

In your case it looks like your using the Brightness/Contrast adjustment on the layer mask, which won't do much in terms of adjusting brightness. Not sure why it throws the error with the smart brush, since it doesn't do that on a regular non smart brush layer mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Which preset are you using with the smart brush? e.g. Blue Sky, Color etc. The smart brush typically applies a gradient or gradient map together with a mask based on your selection. If you try to use the Enhance menu with the mask layer active, then it will likely have no effect.

What you could do is save your selection from that layer. From the menu:

Select > Save selection

Choose a name and save.

Now switch to your background layer and press Ctrl+J to duplicate

From the Select menu choose Lo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select a Smart Brush preset from the Lighting section that brings up a Brightness/Contrast Adjustment layer after using the brush on your image.

bc.jpg

In your case it looks like your using the Brightness/Contrast adjustment on the layer mask, which won't do much in terms of adjusting brightness. Not sure why it throws the error with the smart brush, since it doesn't do that on a regular non smart brush layer mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That certainly worked, thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which preset are you using with the smart brush? e.g. Blue Sky, Color etc. The smart brush typically applies a gradient or gradient map together with a mask based on your selection. If you try to use the Enhance menu with the mask layer active, then it will likely have no effect.

What you could do is save your selection from that layer. From the menu:

Select > Save selection

Choose a name and save.

Now switch to your background layer and press Ctrl+J to duplicate

From the Select menu choose Load Selection and choose your named selection. That will load the exact selection you made with the smart brush and you should be able to use all of the Enhance menu items on that selection, such as lighting; hue saturation, brightness and contrast. You can make further tweaks by adjusting the blend mode and opacity.

Pete.jpg

To enlarge, click image once, then right-click and choose open in new tab/window. Go to the new tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines