• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

psd files not opening in layers

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new desktop.  All my files were transferred over to my new desktop including old psd files from Adobe Photoshop 7 that were saved properly as psd file with layers checked as I have worked on them even as recently as last week.  I had to install Photoshop 2021 on my new desktop and I can see and open the psd files but when I open them they open without any layers.  Just one image/layer as if it is a jpg

I'm not a power user of Photoshop, but I do simple project, I can't figure out why my layers aren't showing where so I can swap out pictures in my templates.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any message in photoshop elements when opening the psd files?

If you still have access to photoshop 7, do the exact same psd files open with the layers intact?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files open fine, and show as .psd files. No errors, but then they just
look like an image no layers.

I was able to reloaded Photoshop Elements 7 on my new desktop and am able
to open the same files there in the proper format with layers. But I still
don't understand why Photoshop 2021 is not showing me the layers.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

This is an example, opens up fine in 7 where I can use the template and add
pics. In 2021 all the layers are missing and I can't use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screenshot from photoshop elements 7 and photoshop elements 2021 with the same file open?

Or better yet could you provide one of the actual files for us to test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there -- Jumping on this post as I am having the same issue in Photoshop 2022 (CC). I have been sent a file which I could open just the other day in layers, and now it will only open in one layer. I have attached the file. Thank you for any light you can shed! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that you are in the Quick editing mode.  You need to be in Expert mode to show layers.  Quick mode is the default upon first launch of the Editor.

Snap_2022.02.03_11h15m57s_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And just to be clear, this is the Photoshop Elements forum, not the Photoshop CC forum.

@francopfohl, I tried to open your file in Elements and it does not have a color profile that is supported by Elements.  (Elements will convert the color mode to RGB.)  However, I also opened it in Photoshop and the file you attached only has one layer.  Somewhere in your editing process, you must have flattened the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines