• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 10 Problem - "Cannot obtain all the files from this device....

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - having problem loading pictures from my Nikon D700 into Elements 10.

Running Windows 10 on a desktop.  Battery capacity of the camera is fine.

Organizer sees all the pictures on the camera's card.  The pictures I want to import are then selected and Get Media clicked, and at that point I get the following message.

" Cannot obtain all the files from this device.  Please ensure that the device is connected properly, or that the battery is charged. The files that have been obtained till now will be sent to Elements Organize."

Can anyone please help. Really need to be able to import this pics - never had this problem before.

Thanks greatly.

Robert (rtopolnytsky@bell.net)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Hi Greg

So I have replaced my card reader and used it and Adobe Downloader to successfully import pictures into my PSE 10.

I also retried using my camera directly connected to my desktop computer and used it and Adobe Downloader but using a different USB port and was able to successfully import the pictures into PSE 10, so I suspect that part of the problem was that the USB port I was using at first was defective. 

At this point, I consider the problem resolved.  Thanks greatly for your help.

As an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Adobe Photo Downloader to import the files from your camera?  (Import from camera or card reader).  Since, presumably some of the files are getting imported, you can try repeating this procedure several times, if necessary.  Make sure that you have the toggle set to not show duplicates.  If this doesn't work, try using Nikon's software to download the files from your camera.  Or you can use Windows to copy the files to your computer.

This is not a problem that is affecting just version 10.  I have seen it on Elements 2019 when importing from a phone, both iPhone and Samsung.  So, I suspect that this is a Windows problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg - thanks for your note.

I was using Adobe Photo Downloader to import the files -  I tried it both from my camera and from a card reader. 

Just retried using Adobe Photo Downloader and the card reader, I get the message "Failed to get thumbnails from the device.  The device is either not connected or busy." If I click retry, then Adobe Photo Downloader gives me the message "This device does not contain any supported media"

Just tried it again using Adobe Photo Downloader and camera directly connected to the computer.  Got the message "Nothing was imported.  The file(s) or folder(s) selected to import do not contain any supported file types or are already in the catalogue.' - actually one picture was imported.  Additionally, below that message, there appeared the message "The file is damaged or is in a format that cannot be included in Elements Organizer" - the camera recognizes the images on the card with no problem.

Just retried with Nikon Transfer 2 and the card reader - it is not recognized. 

With Nikon Transfer 2 and the camera, the camera is recognized and after I click Start Transfer, nothing happens, the program displays Stop Transfer button, but nothing is transferred and no message is displayed.

Weird!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. to Greg S.

I shall have both the card reader and the card checked at my local computer shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert, as I have said, I have seen in Elements 2019 all of the messages you have reported for Elements 10, when I was trying to import from two camera phones.  With a little bit of persistence, I was able to transfer the images.

A couple of things I can suggest.  I don't know if it will help at all.  1.  Delete the Organizer preferences and 2. Do a repair and optimization of the catalog.

1.  I no longer have Elements 10 on my computer so don't know if there is an option under the Edit>Preferences>General tab to "Reset preferences on next launch".  If not, you can press and hold Alt+Shift+Ctrl immediately upon launch of the Organizer and answer yes to a popup that asks whether you want to delete settings.

2.  The Optimize and Repair utilities are found under File>Catalog Manager.

Of course, it may be the hardware that is the problem. Please let us know.

One other question for you:  Are the files on the card raw files or jpegs or both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg -  Thanks for your note.

1 Reset / Delete Preferences

a. Under Edit > Preferences > General,

b. Tried pressing the hold Alt+Shift+Ctrl immediately upon launch of the Organizer - could not get the pop up you referred to.  Tried a few times.

2. Under File > Catalogue and in the Catalogue Manager panel,

• I selected My Catalogue Current and then clicked Repair, got the message "No errors were found in the catalogue". I clicked Repair Anyway and got the message "The catalogue has been successfully repaired.  If errors were found, some information may have been lost"- I did this earlier too.
    • with My Catalogue Current selected then clicked Optimize - got the message "The catalogue and thumbnail cache have been successfully optimized"

3.The files on the card are both raw and JPEG.

4. It turns out my card reader is broken.  I shall replace it but that will have to wait until this Friday and so it will be the weekend before I can try the card in the new reader.  Thus it will take a while for me to report on that.  Please be patient.

After all of the above, I just tried using Adobe Downloader again with the my Nikon D700 camera connected directly to the computer (Windows 10).  Got the same message ("Cannot obtain all the files from this device...").  Three files were loaded.  For picture 1, both the RAW and the JPEG version;  for picture 2, only the JPEG version.

As I said before, totally weird!!  My guess is that the problem is PSE 10 - yes I have seen that other versions of Elements have this problem.  How shameful that Adobe has not fixed this problem.

Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg

So I have replaced my card reader and used it and Adobe Downloader to successfully import pictures into my PSE 10.

I also retried using my camera directly connected to my desktop computer and used it and Adobe Downloader but using a different USB port and was able to successfully import the pictures into PSE 10, so I suspect that part of the problem was that the USB port I was using at first was defective. 

At this point, I consider the problem resolved.  Thanks greatly for your help.

As an aside - any thoughts on upgrading to PSE 19 from PSE 10?  I like the fact that it is a one time charge - WILL NOT PAY AN ANNUAL CHARGE as for example for Lightroom.  You can email me directly at rtopolnytsky@bell.net.

Again, thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting back that it was a hardware problem.  I will try to  change USB ports/cables next time I run into a similar problem.

Robert2008  wrote

As an aside - any thoughts on upgrading to PSE 19 from PSE 10?  I like the fact that it is a one time charge - WILL NOT PAY AN ANNUAL CHARGE as for example for Lightroom.  You can email me directly at rtopolnytsky@bell.net.

There have been very many changes and added features since PSE 10, so I think it would be worth your while to check it out.  You can download a 30 day trial here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Robert2008! I kept getting the error "This device does not contain any supported media" when I tried to download photos from my iPhone XS using Adobe Bridge Mac. I simply plugged the USB Lightning cable into a different USB port on my Mac Pro 2009 and it worked! You saved me much frustration with Bridge Photo Downloader. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having similar problems on iMac / Big Sur and appropriately upgraded OS / Photoshop and Bridge (which includes photo downloader) I use PS / ACR / Bridge and do not use LR.

I get the messae that te battery on the device or something similat is a problem. On brand new interal SD reader, on working external USB SD card reader. Target can be internal SSD r external hard drive. It does not matter.

It may downoad 1 image of 50 images from a card before it croaks at random places.

Adobe has acknowledged the problem but has not yet nbeen able to fix. We are trying to set up a time we can both talk to discusss.

This is NOT a local hardware problem. It IS an adobe Photo Downloader problem. Folks its not Your problem it is THEIRs.

BTW I suggest you NOT use Nikon Transfer 2 as an alternative. Adobe Bridge and ACR use .xmp sidecar files (in the same folder) while Nikon uses a differently named sidecar in a SEPARATE folder. All seems to go reasonably well and then very strange errors begin popping up. NEF files are no longer readable by Bridge, PSD files created from the NEF as source start breaking. Then JPGs created from the PSD files start breaking . ANd ONLY on files that were downloaded through Nikon Transfer 2 and then used in Bridge / ACR. So Beware.

Agai, the initial problem is not your own hardware, it is an ADOBE software bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines