Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 13 error "because the default printer cannot be opened"

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have problem like this one that is still 'unsolved'', different history:

After printing photos on epson1430 normally I put PC to sleep. [W10-64.] Returned 2 days later to resume, nothing else was done on the machine, & PSE was never closed. I was able to get into epson print menus normally but when print clicked, error:

"because the default printer cannot be opened."

I did test page & printed photo in another editor. This time when I went back to PSE could not access print menus, error:

"the printer does not exist".

I followed advice on 13.1 update, clearing prefs and also unpluging 1430. There is no USB (wireless).

This seemed to fix "printer does not exist" as I got access to print menu (for how long I can't know). But will not print, first error above, 'default printer cannot be opened'.

Please be clear that nothing was done on or to PC in short interval. PSE open entire time. Maybe this can narrow cause & help fix? No new hardware, software, changes. I checked W10 updates for these few days, a couple of security but nothing big.

Thanks for any assist.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Does the same problem exist if you try to print from the Organizer?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping own question for 2 reasons. Two months later there is no solution, and my workaround using another pc no longer available.  I have tried everything suggested here for similar errors (clear preferences, uninstall & reinstall printer. etc.). People may assume if no answer or follow up, poster solved his question. No. Second, there have been many similar posts here for diff versions of Elements over years, unsolved afaics. It seems no one in Adobe knows what causes this. What does "default printer cannot be opened" even mean? The program treats your installed printer in a way no other does, a problem no other program has, and there is no way to investigate the cause. ? A fix I have not tried is complete reinstall of PSE 13, bc it was such a big pain to dl & install in the first place. Now I feel trapped bc I have photo editor that will not print, & I have too much time invested in pshop knowledge. And I don't trust Adobe to have a fix if I upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the same problem exist if you try to print from the Organizer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem.   But, I can print from Organizer but if I try to flip and edit a photo in Editor, the message appears "default printer cannot be opened".  Before Christmas it worked perfectly!

I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

charkyg  wrote

I have exactly the same problem.   But, I can print from Organizer but if I try to flip and edit a photo in Editor, the message appears "default printer cannot be opened".  Before Christmas it worked perfectly!

I

What version of Elements are you using?

Try deleting the preferences file.  Immediately upon launching the Editor, hold down the Shift+Ctrl+Alt keys.  You will be asked whether you want to delete the settings file.  Answer yes.  Let us know if this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried SHIFTCTRLALT, I didn't receive a message regarding deleting the

settings file. I did receive a window to confirm I allow Adobe to make

changes to program on my computer - is that the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

No.  But you should confirm that message too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That still doesn't work as I'm not getting the message about deleting the

settings file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a Windows 10 update in April 2018 which has resulted in many problems, among them printing. It requires a registry fix. See this tech note:

Error: An integer between 50 and 8 is required | Elements | Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I am not a tech expert, just a lowly home user and the

instructions you have posted are too complicated for me. Isn't there a

software download/fix I can use instead? Or could someone at Adobe make

the changes remotely? Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

charkyg  wrote

Unfortunately I am not a tech expert, just a lowly home user and the

instructions you have posted are too complicated for me.  Isn't there a

software download/fix I can use instead?  Or could someone at Adobe make

the changes remotely?  Thank you for your help.

I think that Adobe won't use remote control for an Elements version which is not the PSE2019 current one.

Also, the Windows 10 bug is a possible reason of your message, but there may be another issue.

To be sure, could you copy and paste here the first 15 lines of the report you get from the editor 'Help' meny = System Information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Elements Version: 16.0 (20170902.m.113423) x64

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Version: 10 or greater

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:9 with MMX, SSE

Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 4

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2904 MHz

Built-in memory: 16275 MB

Free memory: 11109 MB

Memory available to Photoshop Elements: 10539 MB

Memory used by Photoshop Elements: 70 %

Image tile size: 1024K

Image cache levels: 6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then, it's not the Windows 10 1803 lack of RAM bug.

Editing the registry would not hurt, but that's not the reason of your printing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Greg_S: How you know dat? Happy to report Org does print. I have never used it. I had suspected it was about using advanced settings, so first used default. But when that worked went to advanced, printed well in Org. Not sure but I think charkyg saying same, if he goes back to Org he can print what he flipped in Editor? A mysterious solution better than none -- maybe the Ed side got corrupted? -- so I will have my fingers crossed.

For me there is downside that Org quickly decided for itself everything I edit now goes into its Catalog, even if Org not open. So I had issue not even knowing how to access my own Cat until I learned about "media view" etc.. Org is too much Totalitarian Monster for me, its own learning curve, so I am going to have to work this out. Still rates as Answered imo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Elements regularly since version 3.     The Organizer and the Editor use 2 different print engines that (at least for me) can produce very different results.  I have been complaining about this for years.  I suspect that fewer and fewer users print their photos on home printers, preferring to share their images through social media.  I therefore doubt whether Adobe is going to spend a lot of time developing the printer functions.

For me there is downside that Org quickly decided for itself everything I edit now goes into its Catalog, even if Org not open. So I had issue not even knowing how to access my own Cat until I learned about "media view" etc.. Org is too much Totalitarian Monster for me, its own learning curve,

The Organizer has been my favorite piece of software since the beginning, so I would encourage you to get comfortable with it.  But the problem you describe sounds like you have the "Include in Organizer" box checked in your Editor Save dialog. If you really don't want to use the Organizer, uncheck this box.

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.03.08_12h22m17s_004_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same thing.  I have 2 printers.  Both are installed and 1 is set as my Default.  The other I usually connect with USB.  Photoshop still will not print "Default  printer cannot be opened"   It is very frustrating.  My programs ahs not updates available and no other printers are on my computer.  I removed One Note and any other that came with the Computer.  I can print from all programs EXCEPT photoshop.  I have to save my work and open in "paint"  that is very aggravating because if I need to tweek it I have to close it, go back to photoshop, tweek it and close and save it then go back to paint to print.  I have used Photoshop for many years but really getting frustrated.  I dont understand if so many are having issues why it has not been addressed by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with Epson R3880
Delete all files in this folder:
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\19.0\Editor

adobe_epson_3880.JPGadobe_epson_3880_II.JPGadobe_epson_3880_III.JPG

Canon ip7250 was no problem
Both connected with USB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Photoshop Elements Editor Version 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

charkyg  wrote

Greg S. wrote

No.  But you should confirm that message too.

charkyg  (to Greg S.)

That still doesn't work as I'm not getting the message about  deleting the

settings file?

In that case, in the Editor, under the Edit>Preferences>General menu, try selecting the Delete Preferences on next launch button.  Then close and reopen the Editor:

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.03.08_10h56m22s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me, I had the same issue. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines