• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 14 issue with drop down menus using Windows 10

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I click on the top items(like layer select,filter) and the drop down menu show up momentarily, but when I go to select something from the dropdown menu, it shows the adjacent drop down menu. Say i select 'filter", it shows the dropdown menu from "layer".

I am using PSE 14 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

It's probably Windows 10 or the laptop.

I don't think that PSE would be aware of what you are displaying on

Normally, when you connect a laptop up to a monitor, there are 4 modes you can toggle between (very often using Fn + F2): -

1. duplicate - both screen show the same

2. external monitor only

3. internal screen only

4. extend from internal screen to external monitor

So you are saying that 3. is ok but 2. is not

Since the hardware hasn't changed, it looks like Windows 10

If it is PSE 14, I'm afraid th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

On my PSE 14 Filter and Layer are not adjacent so the focus must be shifting quite a bit.

What do you use to point with (finger, glide pad, mouse)?

As a test, press the Alt key and then the T key - you should see the filter dropdown menu. Can you use the cursor down key on the keyboard to run down the items?

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Brian. I use the mouse.

Sometimes it shifts to the one immediately to the left and sometime 2 to the left.

Anyway, I did what you asked, and yes, the cursor key allows me to go down the list of items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Ok, so the menus behave correctly which means that the problem is with the mouse interface.

Has this just started happening or has it belike that since you installed PSE 14?

Any mouse problems with other applications?

You could look at the mouse options

[Windows Start -> Settings -> Devices - select Mouse on the left - then select Additional mouse options on the right]

Go to the Pointer Options tab, there you could try slowing down a little

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. That didn't work. I only have the issue with PSE. No other issues with the mouse.

It has worked fine for as long as I've had the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since you have had PSE 14 for a while, I'm assuming that you have version 14.1 [Help -> About Photoshop Elements]

There hasn't been any updates to PSE 14 recently but I suspect there has been some Windows updates.

You could check you Windows update history to see if there were any updates around the time you started having problems.

What is your screen resolution?

When the wrong menu opens, just the mouse pointer jump to that menu?

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I bought this Dell laptop 2 years ago, it came with Windows 8 and I bought PSE 14 within a week of buying the laptop.

Yes! I did have that dreaded Windows 8 to Windows 10 update forced onto me right around that time I started having issues with PSE 14.

What happens is, I click the on, say, "Filter" and it shows the correct drop down box, and it shows up exactly where it should be, right beneath the item. Then, the second I try to select something from the dropdown box, the correct drop down disappears, and the one (or two) over appears to the left of where I started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and to answer your other question, screen resolution is set  for 1090 x 1920, which is the native setting for the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Personally, I like Windows 10 better than Windows - but that's just me

I tried what you said you did and after clicking on the Filter heading, the drop down list appeared and I was able to move the cursor all round the workspace. The menu heading didn't change ntil I went up to the menu headings.

What type of mouse do you have?

Have checked to see if there are any updated drivers for the mouse?

It does look as though there is a problem with the interface between the mouse and PSE

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logitech M510 wireless mouse.

The mouse works perfectly on all other programs, though? I'll check for driver updates...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My logic is as follows: -

Windows 8 + PSE 14 = all ok

Windows 10 + PSE 14 = problem with mouse

PSE 14 didn't change

Windows changed and probably involved driver updates for mouse

It could be that PSE relies on a different control interface for the mouse.

One thing you could try is to download the trial of PSE 2018 and see if the problem exists with that

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so here is a strange thing: I have my laptop hooked up to a 2nd monitor.

On a lark, I decided to open the laptop and use the laptop screen instead, and I disconnected the 2nd monitor.

Everything in PSE 14 and my same mouse works as normal! So, you think it is still my mouse software?

BTW, I did download some driver updates, but that didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably Windows 10 or the laptop.

I don't think that PSE would be aware of what you are displaying on

Normally, when you connect a laptop up to a monitor, there are 4 modes you can toggle between (very often using Fn + F2): -

1. duplicate - both screen show the same

2. external monitor only

3. internal screen only

4. extend from internal screen to external monitor

So you are saying that 3. is ok but 2. is not

Since the hardware hasn't changed, it looks like Windows 10

If it is PSE 14, I'm afraid that there is no way that Adobe will bring out a patch for it.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thank you so much for your assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I actually am having the exact same issue, and found this by searching for a solution.  It's very strange.  I also use a laptop connected to an external monitor, but I get the same behavior if I use just the laptop screen.  It just recently started for me.  I haven't used PSE in several months (using it now for a Christmas card) so I have no idea when a Windows update that may be causing the issue would have occurred.  I also tried switching mouses (mice?), and the touchpad on the laptop, but I get the same issue.  It only happens with PSE (I have PSE12); no other programs have the problem...

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines