• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 20 Full Back up Error

Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am done doing a Full Back up, I get a pop-up window similar to this below but with a different file name every time:

Elements organizer

Error encountered while writing file(s)

C:\Users\Ramsey\Pictures\...\2020111_083711.jpg

OK

This has happened 5 times. Each time I do a search on the file, copy it to the desktop, delete the file in PSE and run a Full back up again only to get a new file with the same message.

When I run “Find” >  “All missing files”  I get nothing.

When I run “Find” >  “Items with unknown date or time” I get nothing.

Additionally I have found that when I go to an identified file (*.jpg)  in “file explorer” and try to open it I get a “permissions” error.

I have given “read/write” permissions to all files in the “Catalog” containing my photo files. After giving full permissions and running a Full Backl Up I still get the same message shown above. 

As a result I am unable to do a full back up.

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to Adobe forums. Could you please help with the below queries?

1. Is this issue catalog specific or happening with other catalogs as well?

2. Have you tried taking full backup of any other catalog having same media?

3. Are you able to perform other catalog operations with this media?

Also, please share your system details on which you are facing this issue.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally a reply!  THANK YOU!  I cannot do a restore to consolidate my files without this working.

1. & 2.   This is my only "catalog"

3.  Yes.  I can run "Optimize"  and " Repair" "Search" etc.  Everything else appears to function fine.

Elements Organizer 18.0.0.0
Core Version: 18.0 (20200105.m.139301)
Language Version: 18.0 (20200105.m.139301)
Current Catalog:
Catalog Name: My Catalog 1
Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog 1\
Catalog Size: 116MB
Catalog Cache Size: 2.4GB

System:
Operating System Name: Windows 10
Operating System Version: 10.0
System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:14 Stepping:9 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2
Built-in Memory: 15.9GB
Free Memory: 5.1GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rammer47 

By a coincidence I just had the same issue yesterday and I was able to solve it only today.

The kind of error in a backup is an old known issue due to corrupt files or some permission errors.

The reason is never missing files, and permission issues are not always easy to troubleshoot as well as corrupt files. So, identifying the 'problem' files and deleting them from the catalog is necessary.

Here is the story:

Two attempts for full backup on two different drives had the curious result that the message that there was the error writing an xmp sidecar file. The number of items restored in both cases were the same (22009 out of 118 000)

- When looking at the already restored files in the Explorer, I checked visually that the Explorer thumbnails displayed the oldest files in my catalog (which I already did know). The last restored file was from April 2007.

- To make searches faster, I created a new catalog by importing only the 770 files in the catalog for that month. Very interesting: 4 files were reported as 'corrupt' and were listed as not imported. They were identified by they filenames and I could check which they were in the Explorer. It was also easy to compare visually the last restored file in the aborted catalog (from Explorer) to the ones found by date and file name in the catalog.

- I went back to my full catalog, searched for those files. They were CR2 raw files with their sidecar files and also with each a jpeg version set. I deleted the CR2 and xmp sidecar files from catalog and disk.

I hope this method may help you in identifying the problem files. I think the best solution is to remove the files from the catalog and also from disk (after copying them elsewhere to test after a successful full backup).

- I started a new full backup which success for a backup folder of 656 GB and 118 000 items (2 and a half hours).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

You wrote:  To make searches faster, I created a new catalog by importing only the 770 files in the catalog for that month."

In order to test your solution I attempted to create a catalog by importing only the year 2020 folders but could not figure out

how to select only those folders.

?? How do I create a catalog selectively importing only a portion of my files?

You wrote:  ” When looking at the already restored files in the Explorer”

?? “Explorer” are you referring to  “Windows File Explorer” or a file view in PSE 20?

I cannot do a "Full Backup"  until this error is removed. It now has been months since I have been able to do a backup 

which makes me VERY nervous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines