• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2019 How to move photos to new storage?

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done a lot of work to create my catalog. It points to images on a network share, like \\192.168.0.5\all

I want to move those files to new storage - \\192.168.0.116\archive - without losing the work in my catalog. The catalog can stay where it is, I just want to move files from one location to another and have my catalog updated with the new location of the files. I can't use Move Files because I can't select all the files in media view (too many I'm assuming) and I can't drag the folders in the tree view because the network archive doesn't appear there.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with using File->Reconnect, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Can anyone outline the exact steps given the above example locations?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have chosen to store your assets on a NAS. The organizer has never been devised to work on NAS, which means you'll have to wait for solutions from expert users who have found ways to fool the organizer to act as if the files were on normal drives. No such problems if you are using normal internal or external drives. Don't expect the reconnection process to work in your case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You you select all the media in Media View by pressing Ctrl + A. Go to File -> Move. Select the location where files need to be transferred via Browse button.

You would need to map your network drive in your PC so that it appears in Browse File box.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Somya!

Although selecting all and using File -> Move may have worked, I have over 50,000 files and it didn't seem like it was going to work.

I was able to reconnect files after moving to a different NAS - although as you mentioned, I did need to map a drive to be able to browse for the reconnect. To protect my data, I kept my old copy in case it didn't work - I just renamed the folder so that Organizer couldn't find the files. Then I copied the files to the new location, and once I tried to open one of the images I got the reconnect dialog, browsed to the topmost directory of the new location, and reconnect took care of the rest. Organizer was smart enough to determine the real location instead of using the mapped drive letter.

Thanks again,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines