• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2019 renaming external storage location

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PSE catalog is stored on my desktop computer (Win 10 Pro) and all my photos are stored on a network attached storage device (\\NAS_current).  For reasons un-related to photoshop, I need to rename the network storage device (\\NAS_newname).  However, after renaming the NAS, PSE cannot find the photos, even though the directory structure on the NAS is unchanged.  If I rename the NAS back to its original name, everything is fine.

My question is, how can I rename the NAS and get PSE to recognize the new location and honor all the tags, facial recognition, captions, etc.?

Thanks for any hints or suggestions.

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Unfortunately, this did not work, but I did come up with a workaround.

I ended up editing the hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and adding an entry with the IP of the NAS storage and the OLD name.  This way, when PSE looks for the old name, it gets the correct IP address and everything works. A disadvantage of this solution is that the old name is displayed in PSE, which is confusing, but since I am the only user, I just ignore it.

I would much prefer to be able to update the vo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no experience with NAS storage, but I remember reading similar questions and answers, so I'll risk a hint:

When your NAS is renamed, you should see your files as 'offline' instead of disconnected. The 'offline' symbol on the thumbnails are different, a red circle with a small vertical bar on top. If that is the case, the normal way to deal with 'offline' files is to:

- Have a look at the 'Information' panel on the right, first section, 'general'

- click on the 'Location' line in this section

- you get a box with an option to Reconnect Drive

Maybe browsing to the new name of your NAS will  update the catalog.

If not, I am afraid you'll have to go back to the old name of the NAS (which you say works fine) and to do the usual Backup and restore process. After renaming to the new name, do the restore specifying a new master folder on your NAS.

You can also restore to an external USB drive, which would enable you to use the catalog and restored media folder trees.

Last hint:  You can use the left folders panel to move a whole folder tree of media files to another drive. For safety, I would not do this without a back first, but that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, this did not work, but I did come up with a workaround.

I ended up editing the hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and adding an entry with the IP of the NAS storage and the OLD name.  This way, when PSE looks for the old name, it gets the correct IP address and everything works. A disadvantage of this solution is that the old name is displayed in PSE, which is confusing, but since I am the only user, I just ignore it.

I would much prefer to be able to update the volume name in the catalog to the correct name, but this works in the interrum.

I contacted Adobe Customer Support, via email, but they have been un-responsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines