• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2019

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used PSE since version 3 and upgraded many times (and upgraded PCs also over that period), most recently from Version 15 to 2019. It's never been the quickest program on the planet and has always been prone to unexplained random freezes. However, it was more than usable with patience and we're asking it to do a lot of processing. However, the 2019 version is a dog. Very, very slow to load Organiser in particular and don't dare to click on anything without having a cup of tea first or it will lock up irretrievably. Editor is much slower than the previous version but usable provided you don't try to access a photo to edit from Organiser (sort of defeats the point really).

Many others seem to be experiencing similar issues and some have improved matters a little by turning off auto-curate or face recognition, but the latter at least is an old feature that used to work on this PC in Version 15!

It would seem to me that there are some issues and all I really want is some reassurance from the company that the issue has been recognised and a fix is in development. Appreciate that's not normally a message that the marketing guys would like but many of us are long term customers and I'll stick with you if you're honest.

The bottom line is that 15 worked, 2019 doesn't and nothing else has changed apart from the PSE software upgrade.

Over to you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Elements 2019 is a complete dog of a software.  Previous versions were slow, but this one is totally slow and unusable in the organiser and photoshop.  The CPU is not showing it doing much at all.  The system just sits, locked up.  There are programming errors for certain.  I have mentioned this in other posts.

I will be asking Adobe to downgrade my purchase to 2018 version.

There are many unanswered questions about this on their forum.  They need to get this fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with you - it crashes my machine intermittently usually when I am working with layers and am applying a filter to one of the layers.  Totally unacceptable and frustrating.  I have been using PSE for at least 10 years and I have never seen anything like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

offroadrunner  wrote

It would seem to me that there are some issues and all I really want is some reassurance from the company that the issue has been recognised and a fix is in development. Appreciate that's not normally a message that the marketing guys would like but many of us are long term customers and I'll stick with you if you're honest.

Just a note about the present user to user forum.

faq:

Which forum should I post to? (Feedback vs Forums)

That means that if you want product managers to take your opinion into account, it's best to post in the feedback forum:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Some staff of the Elements team do come here to help users for specific "how to" questions, but the present forum is a community of Elements users. You'll mainly get answers by half a dozen of volunteers like me, who are just normal users like you, without any inside information.

Everybody in the Elements community is interested in the issue of performance. As another user, I can give information on my own experience, and the performance factors I have observed. I still have versions 6, 10, 12, 14, 15, 2018 and 2019 installed. My computer specs:

Adobe Photoshop Elements Version: 17.0 (20180830.m.125874)  x64

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Version: 10 or greater

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:12, Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 2

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 3093 MHz

Built-in memory: 8131 MB

Free memory: 3861 MB

Memory available to Photoshop Elements: 7424 MB

Memory used by Photoshop Elements: 70 %

I also use another 'basic' computer with only 6 GB RAM.

I am a heavy organizer user with a current catalog of 67 000 items, 540 GB over nearly 20 years, mostly raws and very few videos.

I don't use (and never will use) face recognition. Managing people is too important for me and FR does not help me in any way.

I generally don't use any of the 'automatic' features in the organizer, even if I find the smart taging in current version useful.

My experience:

- The 64-bits introduction in PSE13 was very significant for performance, both in the editor and the organizer.

- I have found the organizer to outperform Lightroom for complex searches in the organizer.

One example a few minutes ago on PSE2019.

Query : "céros OR ourchet".

Where "céros" is part of a keyword or caption "Rhinocéros", "ourcette" is part of the text of a caption "grande fourchette 2018"

Result in one second : 157 found amidst 66 000 items.

(not always as brilliant, but really very fast).

- PSE2019: slower and unreliable on my basic computer (6 GB RAM). Faster overall especially for certain tasks in the current one.
Probably a better management of memory between different running tasks.

Before trying to see the different factors, did you notice that the system requirements are now at 8 GB RAM recommended ?

So, if we want to compare performances, I think it's necessary to state:

- OS and OS version

- PSE version

- Physical RAM amount

- Type of drive (SSD...  NAS...)

- scratch disk settings

- video card (practically useless for Photoshop Elements, but can be a nuisance...)

- which "auto" features are enabled.

- if you use face recognition, is the indexing complete (can take days...)

- if the slowness is both in the editor and the organizer (with a few timings examples).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Mac i5, 2.7GHz, 16GB Ram, PSE 2019, os is High Sierra.  I will not even attempt to open the elements organiser now as it locks up and crashes.  it's slow to a crawl before locking, can't even scroll the screen.  Photoshop Elements runs not too bad, but still very very slow, especially the collage even with just 4 photos.  Premiere Elements video editor is rubbish now... just to read a few AVCHD 2GB files on an SD card means going to make a pot of tea and collect the mail and then still wait some.

Overall, the product in 2019 is rubbish.

I will be highly critical of this software to everyone I talk to.  I've used previous versions for years with not too many problems but this version has issues.  Adobe has to fix it.

If it's not fixed soon, I'll be talking to consumer affairs in Australia for a refund under law for a product which is not fit for purpose.  2018 version was much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone back to PSE 8.  Yep.  The only stable one I have been able to use.  And sent the new laptop back to the shop.   I guess I will never be compensated for the upgrade to 2019 OR spending 2 weeks on these issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid you're right. A bunch of us are stuck. I have had my problems with Organizer in the past, but nothing like now! Like others who have written in this thread I will spread the word on how bad 2019 is! Adobe support has traditionally been the worst in an industry not particularly known for support (although Apple support itself is great!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone worked out a way to get a Refund for this trash?  Is there any way to email Adobe or phone them.  I can't find any.  Perhaps I should contact my Credit Card supplier and get them to try for a Refund?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  I am using 2019 on a Win 10 current version, 4GB RAM, the C drive is an SSD.  Up until a couple of months ago, 2019 was fast.  It loaded Organiser quickly from the (pointless) initial page, and Editor also loaded quickly. 

Now, the time to load Organiser from the initial page is much slower, there are several screen 'refreshes' in the Organiser page before I can use it, and it frequently 'sits and thinks' if I am moving images from the initial 'reception' (Temp) folder to its final destination.  Also, the multi-select SHIFT function frequently does not work, the CONTROL selection for individual and mutli images works. 

Overlly, 2019 seems very slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've given up on Adobe PSE 2019 - I even went out and bought a new laptop and installed it with no other software present.  Still crashed.  So uninstalled 2019 and took the laptop back to the shop.  I reinstalled PSE 8, yes, 8 back on my old laptop and it works like a dream.  When I tried 14 is was also running out of memory.  When I was using the Distort filter in 2019 is was using 96% of the CPU.  Can you imagine my shock.  So I am sticking with Version 8 PSE until I hear something has been done with PSE 2019.  The thing is how do I go about getting my money back???  And the TWO WEEKS I spend trying to figure out what the problems are.  Shame Adobe shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded from PSE 15 to PSE 2018 best choice I made. After reading the reviews and looking through PSE 2019 I found no change in the process. From what you said in this article, I found out before I was going to make the change.....Glad I didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now trialing PSE 2019 for last three days after moving from PSE 10.

processor i5:3 series; SSD; 16GB memory; Intel 4000 graphics.

64 bit versions is much more responsive and less 'waits' for tasks to complete. Has better interface. Only have 19,000 pictures but seems good enough without problems recorded above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines