• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2020 Editor Still Won't Open HEVC/HEIF Images from iPhone

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows 10 with latest updates and HEVC/HEIF extensions installed, PSE 2020 give the following error message:

"Could not complete your request because Photoshop Elements cannot recognize the file extension"

The same image opens fine in the Photos app which comes with Windows 10.

It also will not open in Windows Photo Viewer with an error message saying it has incorrect permissions.

Any thought on how to get PSE 2020 to open these?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We apologize for the issue you are facing while trying to use HEIC/HEIF files with Photoshop Elements 2020.

Since you have already installed the extension pack, try to clear the media cache for Photoshop Elements 2020 and then relaunch the application before trying to import the images. 

Please check the link mentioned below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/premiere-elements/using/hevc-decoding-on-windows.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work. Tried your suggested solution but the editor still won't open the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you tell me where you downloaded the extension pack for the HEIF files from? Was it from the link mentioned in the article above or some other source?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Directly from the MS Store at the links above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually connect my iPhone with a USB lead and transfer the files to my computer.

However it was first necessary to change the phone settings.

Go to: Settings >> Photos >> Transfer to Mac or PC

Choose “Keep Originals”

This was previously set to automatic which results in conversion to jpeg. But after changing this setting files remained as HEIC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your thoughts but this doesn't address my issue. I have no problem getting the image file onto the computer. Once there, PSE won't open a HEIC file at all.  See Greg S's reply below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AAARRRGGGGHHH, I have confirmed your findings with both an HE video and HEIC image.  A standardized HEVC file cannot be opened in either Elements Premiere or the Organizer on my machine. The same file opens with all other software, including VLC and Windows Photo player.  I am also seeing the same result for a HEIC in the Photoshop Editor I am escalating this problem to the powers-that-be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem for me - see image below. HEIC files work on Organizer and Editor - see image below. To enlarge, click image. Then right-click and choose open in new tab. Then go to the tab.

What are your system specs?

HEIC.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue occurs on two different systems, both running the most recent, fully updated version of Windows 10, including the required extensions as mentioned above. One system is an almost new Dell desktop with an Nvidia graphics card, the other is a Surface Laptop with integrated graphics. Same message occurs on both machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What device is being used and what are the recording settings? My phone is set to High Efficiency recording and produces HEIC stills and 4k video in the MOV (QuickTime) format. Both can be imported into Organizer on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the following:

1. Close the Elements programs.
  2. Delete all the files present inside the folder: %appdata%\adobe\common\Media Cache Files\
  3. Uninstall all the HEVC extensions present on your machine (if multiple HEVC extensions are installed). To uninstall the HEVC Extensions, go to Settings->Apps and search for "HEVC" and click on uninstall.
  4. Reinstall the HEVC extension from the link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions/9nmzlz57r3t7?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
  5. Relaunch the application.

Snap10_2019.10.15_01h04m52s_002_.png

The problem may have been that I had two Microsoft HEVC Video Extensions installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this fix but unfortunately it did not fix the problem.

I had two HEVC extensions installed (one with "from device manufacturer" on the end of the name). I uninstalled them both and reinstalled. I cleared the Adobe cache and restarted Photoshop Elements 2020. It still shows a broken image icon for the HEIC files, and gives an error that the extension is not recognized if I try to open one in the editor. There is also an "HEIF Image Extensions" app in the Windows settings but it does not have an uninstall option.

Bizarrely, it was working before, and I have thumbnails for some .heic files in the catalog. However, if I try to view those files it updates the thumbnail to a broken image link icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

I tried your suggestion to remove all HEIF/HEVC extensions, clear adobe cache, etc.  Still doesn't work.  HEIF extension simply can't be uninstalled.  Removed both HEVC extensions, tried just one, then just the other.  Same behavior and same message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, " Removed both HEVC extensions, tried just one, then just the other."

Both HEVC extensions were uninstalled at the same time, then the latest HEVC extension was installed from the Microsoft App store.  (The extension was recognized as having been purchased and it was installed again without any payment being necessary.)

On my machine, there was no need to remove the HEIF extension (although I couldn't open HEIC files in Elements).  After the HEVC issue was resolved, so was the HEIC problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please share the exact iPhone you are using and also the photo mode in which they are clicked, Like, Portrait, Pano.

Also, if possible can you share a sample picture which is not opening.

This will really help us troubleshoot your problem further.

Regards,

Nidhi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg S - I have two extensions shown as installed.  One labelled simply "HEVC Extensions" and the other HEVC Extensions from device manufacturer".  I removed both, then tried installing one with no luck, then uninstalled that and tried the other.  Again, no luck.

Niscachde - I'm using an iPhone 11 pro standard HEVC photo.  Not a live photo, not portrait mode, etc.  As I said, it opens on the same machine in the native "Photos" app.

UPDATE - I tried opening the same image on a third machine (which has just the "HEVC Extensions" installed, NOT the "HEVC from device manufacturer",  and it appears to work just fine in PSE 2020 and every other app on the machine, so I suspect it has something to do with one or the other of the two HEVC extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The HEVC extension is supposedly for H.265 video, not HEIF/HEIC photos.  However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, by uninstalling the two HEVC extensions that were installed on my machine and then installing the latest version from the Microsoft store, the inability of Elements 2020 to recognize both HE photos and videos was resolved.

You have now tried this out on 3 machines, only one of which works correctly.  Do both of the problem machines have the HEVC extension "from device manufacturer" installed? 

Have you tried to delete and reinstall the HEIF extension?  It seems to me that this would be the next step in trouble-shooting.  I think you would also need to delete the Common folder again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any additional information on what is causing this issue and what might be the reliable work around?   

I am having similar issues to what has been described but in my case it was working without installing the 99 cent driver at least for an hour or two before stopping functioning.    The files were being imported fine initially and then suddently PSE 2020 begain to throw the error that the files (both pictures and videos) were not supported.   I have worked thru the presecribed adobe reccomentations/check list from the posted links including reinstalling the HEVC extension but still couldn't import the same files that I have successfully imported earlier in the day.   Thinking I was crazy, I repeated my installation steps on a second older computer and using the same HEVC video files confirmed that the import and playing of the video files worked in PSE . 

I went ahead and purchased to 99 cent driver, unistalled the free one and it didn't seem to change anything.   After reinstalling PSE 2020 it is accepting the video's but is now rejecting the HEIF files.    It sounds like others have had issues with this capability breaking as well so any additional suggestions on a fix and permanent remedy for this eratic behavior seemingly surrounding these drivers would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an issue for me in July 2022 with fully patched Windows 11, HEVC Video extensions from Microsoft installed (HEIC IMAGE extensions also installed, but those are image, not video and are separate).  I've cleared cache from %appdata%\adobe\common\Media Cache Files\ and all of that - no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines