• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2020 Simple way to add written signature to photos?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please provide a simple way to add a hand written signature to photographs?  As an artist I would like to add my signature to my digital artwork.  I've seen quite a few video, but they are older and not clear at all.  Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

1. Your digitized artwork is probably in JPEG format

2. JPEG does not support transparency.We shall "extract" your signature from the background and save it in PNG file format.

3. Be sure to have the layers palette open

4. Open the photofile with your signature. This will come in as the Background layer. The background layer is locked. Therefore, duplicate the Background layer. Now you have Background copy layer. Delete the Background layer. We shall work on the unlocked Background copy layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Yes, there is!

In PSE 2024, have a look at the toolbox. At the top under "Select", next to the Magnetic lasso tool, there is an icon. Click on this, and at the bottom above the Photo bin you will find the option bar. Nested in a cluster are Magic Wand, , Selection Brush, and others.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This YouTube video gives a good description of creating a "Signature Brush". Or maybe something from this YouTube Search Results page might work better for you.

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way is to make a brush with your signature. There are a lot of tutorials that populate a google search. Once created and saved, such a signature brush can be applied to the artwork with a click of the mouse. If you are having a problem defining a signature brush from a tutorial that you have in mind, please reference same and let us know where you encounter a problem.

Here is such a tutorial:

https://www.dummies.com/photography/photo-software/adobe-photoshop-elements/how-to-create-a-custom-b...

The other option is to write your signature with a broad, black pen on white paper, then scan this, and save it as a file,

You can open the signature file in PSE, use the Magic wand tool to select/delete the white background , leaving just the signature itself. surrounded by a checkerboard pattern, which denotes transparency. Then, after this manipilation, go to File>Save for web. In the dialog that comes up, check the "Transparency" box, and for file type in the drop-down, select PNG24'

Save this, and copy/paste to the artwork as indicated.

It sounds more difficult than it is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thank you for the responses.

I would like to sign my name on a piece of white paper, take a photo and add on my computer, then place my signature (with transparent background) on a photograph/artwork.  I can get to this point, but after these steps, all the instructions get complicated and not clear or easy.  Can you provide simple instructions or a correct video for my purposes?  Thank you thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will be pleased to assist you.

In Photoshop Elements Editor, are you at the point in the work-flow where you have the signature with transparent backgroound, i.e. letters and nothing else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hatstead - I am on PSE right now.  I have the photo of my signature opened.  No transparent background yet.  Are there instructions somewhere I can just follow?  How do we proceed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Your digitized artwork is probably in JPEG format

2. JPEG does not support transparency.We shall "extract" your signature from the background and save it in PNG file format.

3. Be sure to have the layers palette open

4. Open the photofile with your signature. This will come in as the Background layer. The background layer is locked. Therefore, duplicate the Background layer. Now you have Background copy layer. Delete the Background layer. We shall work on the unlocked Background copy layer.

5. Activate the Magic Wand tool. On the tool's option bar uncheck "contiguous" & set the tolerance to 32 (default). Left click on the white background and hit delete on the keyboard. You should be left with the signature only. If the magic wand did not fetch everything, click on any remaining white areas and delete. It is critical to remove the entire white background, esp. between letters and within the script. At this stage you should see your signature surrounded by the checkerboard pattern which denotes transparency.

6. Go to File  menu>Save for Web. This opens a dialog which has several components. If the preset window chops off some of the signature, go to "new size" in the dialog and try 60% or so. At the top in the dialog change the file format from GIF to PNG24. Check the box "constrain proportions", and check the box "Transparency." Finally ok it. Save this file where you can access it subsequently. Be sure to name it.

7. Open one of your artwork files. 

8. Go to File>Place and point to the file produced in steps #5-6. You can drag it into position and adjust the size with the corner handles.

8. Finally save the picture with the signature. For web work JPEG (compression) format is probably best for this purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no magic wand tool in PSE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is!

In PSE 2024, have a look at the toolbox. At the top under "Select", next to the Magnetic lasso tool, there is an icon. Click on this, and at the bottom above the Photo bin you will find the option bar. Nested in a cluster are Magic Wand, , Selection Brush, and others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the app on my iPhone, it's not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines