Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2021 color picker not working properly after the Feb 4 update

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE: PSE 2021 color picker after the Feb 2021 update

Another PSE 2021 user who updated is experiecing the same problem with the color picker..not just me

The color picker is not functioning properly as it was before the update and has always worked in many versions of PSE. It is "easy" to work around, but not the way it should be.

When the color picker eyedropper is used to select a forground color in the image, the actual color position should be indicated by the small O .. then it is easy to shift ↑ ↓ → ← to get the hue and value desired. Here is a shot from PSE 2018.

pse-2018-color-picker

But now in 2021 after the update on Feb 4 or so, when I click on the foreground color to invoke the color picker tool, and then click somewhere darkish in the image to select the color I desire, the "new" color appears in the color picker panel, however, there is no little round circle to be seen anywhere in the color window and that's important. If I pick from a light region in the photo, the circle will appear in the upper left (pure white ?) even though the correct color is displayed in the "new" window and the RGB color units correct.

2021 after the update
pse-2021-color-picker

Thanks for any support. 

Clive

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm your finding.  I will report it to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Greg! 

Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidenote re cropping tool...did not want to start another thread 

Greg, since the update, PSE 2021 has frozen and crashed several times when using the cropping tool (which I use many times daily). I submitted two crash reports so far. Preferences were reset twice and it seemed to help as it worked without crashing a few times, but crashed again yesterday. Freeze and crash.crash report feb 7.jpg  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given other post-update issues that have been reported with tools that have previews, it's quite possible that this is all related.  Your crash report will almost certainly be seen by the developers, and perhaps @arshla jindal will also see your post about the crop tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI

Cropping tool work a few times, but is crashing again today. No crash report popped up. 

Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I am still unable to use the cropping tool in PSE 2021. Freezes and crashes. Submitted a crash report a couple of days ago. Took a chance this morning and it just froze and did not generate a crash report. To crop images to a specific size I have to close 2021 and start PSE 2018. That's not right.  

In addition, some features are not working properly.  The gradient map editor and unsharp mask are not right.

Thanks,

Clivegradient map May 17.jpgunsharp mask May 17.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Unsharp Mask move the cursor slightly in the Unsharp Mask preview window to see a before preview

For the Gradient Editor you aren't able to move the Color Stop sliders?

Instead of resetting the preferences from the editor go to

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

and delete the

Photoshop Elements\19.0 folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff

"For the Unsharp Mask move the cursor slightly in the Unsharp Mask preview window to see a before preview" Thanks. Yes, that works. Seems different in this version. But good. 

"For the Gradient Editor you aren't able to move the Color Stop sliders?" Yes. I use GMs to make B&W conversions..very good. I mainly use the grey-scale slider for mid-tones anyway, but the B and WW sliders are not working.  

"Instead of resetting the preferences from the editor go to

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

and delete the Photoshop Elements\19.0 folder"

Oookay. I am out of my comfort zone messing with things like this. No danger here of screwing up something? 

Thanks for your assistance. 

Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preferences (deleting that folder) shouldn't mess anything up. Photoshop elements will rebuild all the stuff fresh. You'll just have to set your panels and preferences again, if you changed anything from the defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. You need to turn on Hidden items in File Explorer to see the AppData folder.

2. You may have installed custom brushes and brush sets, third-party plugins, styles, etc. in the various subfolders inside the 19.0 folder. Many users don't, but it is Adobe's recommended location for these types of files.

3. Instead of deleting the 19.0 folder, you could rename it to something like "19.0 - Backup 052221". In that way you've always got a fallback in case you've inadvertently deleted something you wanted to keep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks PhilDC. (We meet again!☺)

Yes, I have custom © stamps. Thanks. Will take a run at this tomorrow. 

Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming the same issue on macOS 10.14 and photoshop elements 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are working on resolving this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@arshla jindal, please take a look at this thread too.  There appear to be problems with previews/responsiveness for a number of tools since the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Greg_S. , thanks for initimating us. The team is already working on this thread as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also confirm the same Color picker issue sincne the last update for Photoshop Elements 2021. On Windows 10 Home 64. I am happy to see that the problem has been reported to Adobe. We are now waiting for the solution. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered this behavior on my (macOS 10.15.7 Catalina) 2021 copy also.

The only time I get the small circle 'marker' is with fairly light colors. Of course, like pontiac1940 reported, it is nowhere near the actual selected color, it is always in the upper, left-hand corner (usually the most 'white' area).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem with RBG color discrepancy and the software either being sluggish or crashing. I upgraded to Adobe Elements 2021 after the latest Mac OSBig Sur (11.2.3) update was no longer compatible with my previous Elements version. Colors now look "off" and I find myself spending a lot of time attempting to work around the issue, many times unsuccessfully. I attempted to resolve the issue by contacting Adobe customer service, but after close to three hours on the phone, I was still unable to remedy the situation. Overall, an extremely frustrating experience as a long-time Elements user who has invested time (learning) and money (new verions) over the years, only to not be able to get the same past results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By far, the absolute best images psoted in the past year describing an issue.  You even embedded them , instead of attaching them.   Give your self a raise! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines