• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE distorts shape of circle after rotating

Engaged ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a strange problem with rotating a layer, though I've rotated objects many times before without an issue.  The layer that I'm rotating appears below, first in its original fully circular form and second in the shape it takes AFTER I rotate it.  As you'll notice the second shape is no longer completely circular as the original shape was.

This distortion happens after rotating the image, whether I use a drop down menu and enter an amount for rotation or if I manually rotate the image.  I've tried rotating with the mouse, rotating while holding "ctrl," rotating while holding down "shift," etc. and the image always distorts when I rotate it. My question: Why can't I rotate the original image you see below without the image's circle shape becoming diestorted?

originalimage.pngrotated-image.png

TOPICS
Bug , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least according to the image you have posted, the original image does not appear to be a circle either. 

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.04.05_00h58m24s_004_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bar in the center causes a bit of an interesting optical illusion, doesn't it? At first glance it looks like a circle, but it really is an ellipse. I wonder if it was done on purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's no optical illusion, Sir.  This is what one of those is supposed to look like.

Penrose Triangle.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an answer on how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down your left shift key while drawing the original shape.  The original shape, clearly as Greg S has commented, is not a circle.

I layed a white circle on top of the original elipse- top and bottoms touch- left and right sides do not.

2022-03-27_031049.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Antonio23770288k3xu, what is the problem you are trying to fix?  The original image in this discussion was not a circle.  So, rotating it could not turn it into a circle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Greg_S.  @Glenn 8675309, I have the exact same problem as stated in the original post. However, I'm having this issue inside After Effects. I tried the After Effects community to see if I could find a solution but unfortunately, I've found none so far. I start with a perfect circle. Once I apply rotation it begins to distort. 0 and 180 degrees it will be a circle. Anything else will appear distorted. It's not parented to any layer, no expressions have been added, no keyframes either. These are the steps I take Open AE. Create a new composition, double click on the ellipse tool to create a perfect circle. Press hotkey R for rotation and start rotating and deform begins. 

Antonio23770288k3xu_0-1648417218721.png

Antonio23770288k3xu_1-1648417237276.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add that this issue happens regardless if I double-click the ellipse tool or manually drawing a circle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a photoshop elements group- that's what most of talk about-- occasionally maybe a photoshop thing every now and then... good luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Antonio23770288k3xu, as Glenn says, this is a Photoshop Elements forum.  Since you indicate that you have already sought help in the After Effects forum, I will not move your post there. 

I have very little experience with After Effects, but I do have some general knowledge of video.  Not all video pixels are square - standard definition video contains non-square pixels.  For this reason, there can be distortion when rotating a seemingly circular object within a video.  I have no idea whether that is the case with your object, but it may be something to consider.  Otherwise, if you have not yet done so, your best bet is to post your question in the After Effects forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Greg_S.  @Glenn 8675309  No worries, and thank you both for your time. I will continue on my search for this issue. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines