• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE started operating differently .... why???

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2019 Jul 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday my PSE 15 began operating differently ... nothing special happened that I am aware of, but I noticed the following changes ....

#1 - when I modified an image and went to save it, the file name presented as (example) IMG-4500_edited-1.jpg.  The "_edited-1" never used to appear, just the original filename of the image.  I have no idea where the "_edited-1" came from or how to return to what it used to do.

#2 - I have several sub-folders to hold various rodeo activity images, i.e. bareback, bull riding, barrel racing, etc.  After I crop and adjust the images as I want, and now change the name from "_edited-1" to what I want, I select the folder I wish to save the modified image in, and then click on save.  After the save process goes through the normal series (the file size, other choices it offers me in saving, etc.) it then saves the file.  However, the file is saved into the original folder it came from, NOT the folder I specifically selected.  I now have to move (drag) the modified image into the folder I wanted it saved to.

I am assuming there are some settings that somehow got screwed up, but I haven't been able to find what to change to return to how the system operated two days ago.  Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on and how to fix it???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to ask another question ....  When I am in a folder containing a few hundred shots, and I select one for editing, when I am finished editing, I would expect that PSE should return to the original folder at the image I last reviewed and selected, allowing me to continue from where I left off.  But NO ... PSE returns me to the very beginning of the folder, making me have to scroll down to the spot I was at.  This is a TERRIBLE waste of time and very frustrating.  Is there some setting I have been unable to find for the last several iterations of PSE ... going back as far as I remember with PSE, this has been a sore point.  I would think that they have had several years to fix this, so I'm hoping I just need to look somewhere else to change a setting ...????  If so, where?  Or is this just something that PSE design teams don't think is important?????  Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I stumbled onto it ... the option to "save in a Version set with the original" was checked ... I must have inadvertently done that.  I unchecked it and seems to be ok now.  Still have a question on why it goes back to the beginning of the folder instead of allowing the user to pick up where they left off ....????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you have stumbled onto the reason for the change in behavior. 

As for going back to the beginning of the folder, I assume that you are just using the Editor's File/open dialog to access your images.  If you use the Organizer to open your files, once you complete an edit and save the image, you can return to the Organizer which will have the focus on the just-edited image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, I am using the Editor to open the file, as my preference has been to use "Open as Camera Raw" since I found the exposure and other adjustments superior to the standard PSE Editor tweaks.  Is there a  way within Organizer to open a jpg file in Camera Raw instead of the PSE Editor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm ... I have been trying the standard PSE Editor, and when I save an edited image into the appropriate folder and then return to the original folder to continue my review, it too starts over at the beginning of the folder, not at the image I just edited.  Is it because I am not saving the file in the original folder?  Not sure what difference that would make ... that would imply that Adobe is restricting how we organize our photo groups instead of allowing us to create a system that works for us. 

My personal belief is that PSE ... or ANY photo editing program ... should easily allow the user to continue at the spot where the user left off and NOT force them to go back to the beginning of a folder and manually scan down or search for the next image.

Am I doing something that causes it to go back to the beginning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Big-Al-Photoman  wrote

Hmmm ... I have been trying the standard PSE Editor, and when I save an edited image into the appropriate folder and then return to the original folder to continue my review, it too starts over at the beginning of the folder, not at the image I just edited.

I have already seen similar complaints in a few cases in this forum. The problem is that I never got any helpful answers to reproduce that behaviour, whether using the Explorer or the organizer. Could you describe more in detail what you are doing ?

Big-Al-Photoman  wrote

Is it because I am not saving the file in the original folder?  Not sure what difference that would make ... that would imply that Adobe is restricting how we organize our photo groups instead of allowing us to create a system that works for us. 

Precisely, the system that works for you is not clear. Adobe (or rather the organizer) can't read your mind. You have two last known file locations in mind. The one of the original folder with the location of the original picture, the other the destination of the edited copy. The solution offered by the organizer is to clearly keep available the selection and the sort order you are displaying. When you go back after editing and saving in the editor, you are always back to where you left. Note that if you rely on folder hierarchy, you are always working within a single folder with the chosen sort order. Since the whole purpose of the organizer is to offer a much more powerful organization tool than folders (albums for instance), your display choice (selection, sort order and rank) is the basis of your workflow.

If you don't use the organizer, you are using two different softwares: the editor and the explorer. Both try to keep in mind the parameters for origin and destination. It could be that they have different ways to understand your workflow, but I have never had your issue even in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big-Al-Photoman  wrote

You are correct, I am using the Editor to open the file, as my preference has been to use "Open as Camera Raw" since I found the exposure and other adjustments superior to the standard PSE Editor tweaks.  Is there a  way within Organizer to open a jpg file in Camera Raw instead of the PSE Editor?

Unfortunately, no.  This has been a feature request for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines