Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE14: Tag and copy individual photos from stacks

New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I would like to mark individual photos within a stack (or batch, in german: "Stapel") in the organizer with a tag.
Then I want to search them via tag search und then I what to mark them all to copy them to another place (e.g. to a mobil phone).

Now I have the problem that the search always shows me all photos of the stack after clicking on the desired tag, even if only one single photo of the stack contains the desired tag. PSE shows "no hit" (in german: "kein Treffer") on the untagged photos of the stack - but they are still displayed.
So I can not completely mark und copy the search result and I have to look through the entire stack very tediously
to search for the only really tagged photo.

Does anyone have a solution for this, how to restrict the search result to the really tagged photos?
Or is there another way besides tags?

It's even worse with albums: if I add a single photo of the stack to the album, all of the photos in the stack are added to the album.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

TOPICS
Feature request , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's even worse with albums: if I add a single photo of the stack to the album, all of the photos in the stack are added to the album.

I have never noticed that before, but you are absolutely correct!  That makes no sense whatsoever.

The only suggestion I can make is to set the (single) tagged image in a stack as the top photo of the stack.  That way, if you search by tag, the stack will not have to be expanded to display the tagged photo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, you are right. From the beginning of the organizer, stacks have been thought of collections of files with the same properties except slight look differences. No practical workaround have been found to make selection of files inside stacks or version sets. The only way I can see would be to assign a simple keyword to the files in your choice for a stack.

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Searches_are_showing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I can see would be to assign a simple keyword to the files in your choice for a stack.

Could you please explain this hint a little bit deeper, because my English ist unfortunately not the best.

What do you mean with "a simple keyword"? Do you mean an additional tag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I can see would be to assign a simple keyword to the files in your choice for a stack.

Could you please explain this hint a little bit deeper, because my English ist unfortunately not the best.

What do you mean with "a simple keyword"? Do you mean an additional tag?

Yes, you don't use stacks to group your files, you assign a new tag (or you create an album).

You lose the ability of showing only one thumbnail to save space in the browsing space, but you can select any file from that 'collection / batch' by combining many tags in a multi criteria search;  you don't get 'non matches' files in the result of a search.

There are many situations when you get stacks of files with different tags or properties.

- you group files which have already different tags

- you have reason to edit tags only in a file of the already existing stack

- you stack files by 'visual similarity'

Assigning a new tag as suggested above will  be realistic only in rare cases. Most of the time, you'll have to select all found items in the result of your search and you'll unstack all, best matches as well as non matches. After unstacking, you can renew the search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas,

Back to your original question:

I would like to mark individual photos within a stack (or batch, in german: "Stapel") in the organizer with a tag.
Then I want to search them via tag search und then I what to mark them all to copy them to another place (e.g. to a mobil phone).

Start with Greg's suggestion:

I have never noticed that before, but you are absolutely correct!  That makes no sense whatsoever.

The only suggestion I can make is to set the (single) tagged image in a stack as the top photo of the stack.  That way, if you search by tag, the stack will not have to be expanded to display the tagged photo. 

Then, your search does not show 'non matches' and you simply have to select all and 'export as new files'. This will only export the 'top photo'.

About 'albums'.

What is displayed in an album is the 'top photo' in stacks or version sets.

Albums (called 'collections' in older Elements versions) are lists of pointers to the stack or version set items containing the displayed 'top photo' in the catalog database. Albums are lists of stacks/version sets, not lists of individual photos and what you see displayed is the top photo.

If you change which item in a stack/version set is the top photo, your album will automatically display the new top photo. The pointer to the stack/version set won't be changed.

From the album, you can select an item in the browsing space, expand the stack, change some data (tag, caption, rating...) of another item in the stack, set as 'top photo' and collapse the stack. The new 'top photo' will show in the album.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot to all for your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines