• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE19 will not start

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used it yesterday with no difficulty and there were no problems when I shut it down.

Today was different - the Organizer would not start and produced an error message which told me that an unusual shutdown problem had occurred and would I like to try a normal startup. When I clicked on "yes", the screen cleared but nothing further happened.

Now, when I try to run Organizer, nothing at all happens, even if I run as administrator.

The Editor runs as normal.

Before I re-install the program, I just thought I'd ask if anyone else has suffered this problem and whether they were able to get round it without re-installing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

If you can get to Catalog manager by launching with the shift key click on the “New” button.

Enter a new catalog name and (optionally) choose to import mp3 free music if required for slideshows. 

From the empty media browser try:

File >> Restore Catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you launch while holding down the shift key and releasing after a few seconds.

If you get the catalog manager dialog can you select the current or earlier catalog to open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jon.

I've tried your suggestion over and over but can't make it work. Just occasionally, I get as far as the UAC dialog and once I got to the large PSE splash screen but clicking on the Organizer option there produced nothing.

In Task Manager, the program shows up as a background process but  not as an app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I'd try your suggestion once more and this time I did get the Catalog Manager Dialog. I was able to select the current catalog but it didn't open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it may be best to re-install. Firstly, uninstall from the Windows control panel and re-start your computer.

You can download from this link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/photoshop-elements-downloads.html

Extract all files from the zip folder and double-click on Setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've done an uninstall and re-install but the problem remains - the Editor works but not the Organizer.

I did cheat a bit by reusing the installation file in my downloads folder because the Adobe website is so hard to navigate.

I will try again, installing from the website anew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2nd re-installation has failed even though, this time, I followed your instructions to the letter. The large splash screen loads correctly but clicking on Organizer does nothing.

However, I think the catalog may be intact because I was able to click on a recent image listed on the splash screen and it loaded into the editor correctly.

It's not possible to run the Organizer from the Editor.

The Organizer is now correctly listed as an App in the Task Manager and its icon on the taskbar is underlined.

I'm at a loss to know what do next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you launch with the Shift key and click to create a new catalog? If any empty catalog launches that may indicate a corruption with the current catalog.

Have you ever run the repair/optimization or made a catalog backup in Organizer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's no to the first question.

I have used the repair catalog function some time ago but not recently.

About a month ago, I got a new computer and I backed up on the old one and restored to the new one. All went well.

I still have that backup file and could restore it if I can get into the program. I would have some minimal but acceptable losses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you launch from Program Files? Go to:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Elements 2019 Organizer

Inside the Elements 2019 Organizer folder scroll down to the files beginning with P and find the application PhotoshopElementsOrganizer

Right-click and choose open or run as administrator. You could also try the compatibility test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried clearing the preferences?

When clicking on the Organizer icon from the Welcome Screen, immediately hold down the Alt+Ctrl+Shift keys.  When a dialog box pops up asking if you want to delete settings, say Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jon. I have been trying to start PSE from Program files all along, including using the administrator option.

My first attempt at double clicking the file name after boot-up this morning produced the UAC and then I saw the brown PSE flash screen fleetingly before it failed once more. Subsequent attempts to get this far have failed.

Thank you also Greg. If I attempt to run by double clicking clicking my desktop icon, I can get the welcome screen but, when I do as you suggest, the small indicator "Loading Elements Organizer workspace" comes up but it times out.

I do understand that the catalog may be corrupt but it cannot be totally unserviceable because, when I click on any of the images listed on the welcome screen, they load correctly into the Editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first attempt at double clicking the file name after boot-up this morning produced the UAC and then I saw the brown PSE flash screen fleetingly before it failed once more. Subsequent attempts to get this far have failed.

What is showing on the taskbar when this happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, I could only get to the brown splash once but I was able to get there again after restarting the computer. It's odd that it only works once.

I could see no change to the taskbar. It has icons for Organizer and Editor but no underlining or other change took place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if any of the troubleshooting tips at this link work:

https://helpx.adobe.com/elements-organizer/kb/organizer-crashes-launch-does-not-start.html

Also, some users have reported a conflict with their graphics card and rolling back to an older driver seemed to fix things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jon, but nothing worked and I'm guessing you've exhausted all possibilities now.

I've just done a clean delete and re-install and, on running the program, was surprised to be presented with the error message which I detailed in my first message. However, when I clicked on "yes", the screen flickered but that was that. The program still does not run.

As a last desperate attempt to get back in, should I delete the catalog which might enable the program to run, especially if the catalog is  corrupted. I could then do a Restore and cross my fingers.

Apart from the Catalog file itself, is there anything else I should delete? And where exactly do I find the catalog file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can get to Catalog manager by launching with the shift key click on the “New” button.

Enter a new catalog name and (optionally) choose to import mp3 free music if required for slideshows. 

From the empty media browser try:

File >> Restore Catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying many, many times to do this unsuccessfully, I decided to restart the computer and then try just one more time. To my amazement, it worked first time though it's taken hours to do the Restore.

I've lost a month's worth of work but that's a very small price to pay and a lesson to backup weekly!

Thank you, Jon, for all your expert guidance during this episode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pale_loiterer  wrote

a lesson to backup weekly! daily!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, of course, but it takes so long, even with a high spec computer.

A counsel of perfection, if you don't mind me saying so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was out of the wood but apparently not, for today I received an email from Adobe thanking me for trying the trial version of PSE 2019 when I have in fact already purchased the program.

This was after downloading from the link in Jon's message of 18th June (https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/photoshop-elements-downloads.html)

Ho do I convert the trial to the permanent version, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help > Sign in from the Editor menu.

Then enter your serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob, but it didn't work.

Up came an Adobe Creative Cloud dialog with a list headed 'My Apps and Services'. However, PSE19 is absent from the list and there is nowhere to enter my serial no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried again and, this time, it worked but there is no indication, after entering the serial no., that all is well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s normal. After clicking sign-in and Licence this software the serial key will be accepted without any confirmation. But next time you launch you should not see any message to continue as a trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines