• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE2020 can not update camera raw for new camera

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have camera raw update 13.2 on my creative cloud desktop how do i get in PSE 2020 to work

TOPICS
Download and install , How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best you'll get in PSE 2020 is ACR 12.4 and that's ONLY with this workaround from Adobe: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/camera-raw-update-not-available.html

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it is now possible to get 13.2 to work in Elements 2020.  See this HelpX article for the "official" workaround (but note the warning).

Essentially all you need do is copy the Camera Raw.8bi plug-in file from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats and paste it into C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 18\File Formats.  I highly recommend renaming the existing Elements 2020 plug-in file before performing this action.

I recently had some difficulty with updating my CC raw plug-in from 13.1 to 13.2.  The CC App showed that I had 13.2 installed but when I opened a raw file in CC, it opened in 13.1.  I ended up uninstalling all CC files and Elements 2020 and 2021 (and using the CC Cleaner tool), before I could get everything working again.  This may be because I was unable to get the 13.1 ACR plug-in to work with Elements 2021.1.  However, I was able to do so with Elements 2021.2.  Perhaps something got messed up in the registry with all my fiddling around.  Or this could all have been a coincidence or some other issue.  Just don't say I didn't warn you to be careful.  😇

One final comment for any other Elements users who don't have CC.  It is currently only possible to download the ACR plug-in file for ACR 13.1 since there doesn't appear to be a download link for 13.2.  If you click on the current link for 13.2, I believe it will try to update Photoshop CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The raw 13.2 version is just for the full version of photoshop,  I thought it would be easy to download it, but since I unistalled photoshop, can't do it. I think 13.2 is overrated--- people seem to want it for the "super resolution"- it simply is not goign to make a good photo look great, and I seem to think the results are minimally noticable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Glenn 8675309, you may have cross-posted with my reply.  While not all of the features of ACR 13.2 found in Photoshop CC are available in Elements, it is nevertheless possible to edit raw files in Elements from a new camera that requires an ACR version higher than 13.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADDENDUM:  My earlier post stated that the ACR 13.2 file should be copied from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats folder.  However, the same file is found in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats folder.  Both files seem to be identical, but if you have a 64bit OS, I guess you should use the one from the latter folder. 

FWIW, after renaming the original ACR 12.4 plug-in file and the 13.2 file that I had copied from the Program Files (x86) folder, the Elements Help>About Plug-ins menu showed three Camera Raw entries.  The Help>System Info. dialog also showed entries for all three plug-ins but did not report any problems for the ones that I had renamed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of renaming the plugins, just stick a ~ tilde at the beginning of the plugin name and adobe photoshop elements will not load the plugin. Then after testing i would remove the unused plugins so when and if pse 2021 tries to update camera raw it doesn't fail because of the extra camera raw plugins.

Screenshot-(25).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the Camera Raw.8bi in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats

is actually a 32 bit camera raw plugin 10.5, the last camera raw version i believe that was 32 bit on the windows side.

Screenshot-(26).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It looks like the Camera Raw.8bi in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats is actually a 32 bit camera raw plugin 10.5, the last camera raw version i believe that was 32 bit on the windows side.

By @Jeff Arola

Yes, Jeff, I must have been looking at the wrong line in my matrix of camera raw files.   And thanks for the tilde tip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines