• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Questions on Windows Compatibility and updates

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to buy Photoshop Elements 2020. I've already tried to get answers from the Adobe LiveChat, but it was just impossible - I wasted an hour being passed through 5 agents and being given contradictory answers - a real mess – they must lose so many clients through the “help”desk...

Could someone please (accurately) help me with the following questions:

1. Is Photoshop Elements 2020 compatible with Windows 8 (not 8.1)?

On Adobe website it says it requires "64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows 10 (versions 1809, 1903 are recommended) or Windows 8.1. (32-bit OS version is not supported). Windows 7 is not supported.". It does not say whether Windows 8 is or is not supported - I need to know please.

2. Can I buy and use it without ever having to buy a later update? I am trying to find out if there are (or not) consequences of just buying the program as a single-upload/ stand-alone program without buying further updates (one Adobe agent said it may lead to compatibility issues and one said there was no problem at all and I can do it..).

3. For my information, how much do updates usually cost? And how often (per year?) are updates available for purchase, please?

4. On the Adobe site (Switzerland), they offer "Photoshop Elements 2020 CHF 96.95/ Update for CHF 79.70". Does this mean that if I bought it now, I could buy it for CHF96.95, or do I have to buy the update as well (i.e. a total of CHF 176.65)?

I would be so grateful if anyone could answer (all or any of) the 4 questions above.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Question 1 - I don't know for sure, and even if I would like to give an accurate (= swiss) answer, I consider it's the wrong question. If you want to stay with Win 8, you are bound to have serious problems very, very rapidly. To get a correct answer, you'll have to state if your Win 8 version and your computer are 64-bits versions. So, my answer is: first update to the current Windows version.

Question 2 - A 'perpetual' version like Elements will work perpetually so long as you stay with the sam

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question 1 - I don't know for sure, and even if I would like to give an accurate (= swiss) answer, I consider it's the wrong question. If you want to stay with Win 8, you are bound to have serious problems very, very rapidly. To get a correct answer, you'll have to state if your Win 8 version and your computer are 64-bits versions. So, my answer is: first update to the current Windows version.

Question 2 - A 'perpetual' version like Elements will work perpetually so long as you stay with the same operating system version and the same hardware. It's not realistic to hope that you'll be satisfied for much more than five or six years. You'll have to update the OS and hardware before you really feel that the software is outdated. Just have a look at the questions in this forum and you'll see that changes in the OS version do make old software versions unusable. That's true for any software, not only Elements.

3 - Adobe issues a new Elements version every year since nearly 20 years. Each new version is an independent one. You pay about 100 EUR for each, minus 20% if you own an older license. There may be one or two free intermediate 'udpates' during each year. They generally correct some bugs or compatibility issues, no new features.

4 - As explained above, you pay either the full price OR the 'upgrade' price (same exact software) as a reward for having any older version. However, you generally can take advantage of better deals than the upgrade price with promotional prices from big resellers like Amazon and even from Adobe in short periods. During the year after a version is issued, the 'updates' are free. There are only updates for the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for taking the time to review my questions and give me such a clear and thorough answer - it was very kind of you.

I now understand better how the pricing system works.

I do agree with you about my Windows 8 issue. It may just be best for me to wait until I get a new pc then buy/ install the Adobe as a fresh start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines