• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW (NEF) from organizer to editor Elements 2020

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello new to Elements and this forum.  Problem I am having is NEF files will open in both programs independantly but I cannot open the files from organizer to editor.  I get the following message:

Could not complete your request because Photoshop Elements does not recognize this type of file.

I am now questioning if I even bother using organizer.  I am also on a new iMac.  

Any thoughts? is this fixable?  Thanks!!

TOPICS
Actions , Mac , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does launching Organizer and Editor first make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no get the same message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it's possible resetting Editor's preferences might make things right again I'd give it a try.  Go to: Edit menu >> Preferences >> General -- then click Reset Preferences on next launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry that did not appear to help either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.  Since Editor and Organizer will open your NEF's independantly but not when Organizer hands them off to Editor, I'm inclined to think the trouble may have something to do with the catalog.  Maybe not too.  Please note this isn't one of my strong suites and maybe a good time for me to tap out.  Hopefully one of the more seasoned regulars will jump in here to better assist you.

If it were my problem on my computer (not the case here) I'd be comfortable trying Organizer, File menu >> Manage Catalogs to access Optimize and Repair options presented there.  Again, if it were me.  Proceed at your own risk but I can't imagine either of these options would damage anything and one or the other may work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be working OK for me. I select a NEF thumbnail in Organizer and click the Editor button at the bottom - to the right of Instant Fix. That launches the camera raw workspace and when I’ve finished with the sliders I choose 8 bits/channel and click the Open Image button.

Maybe you are right-clicking and choosing “Open in Photoshop Elements Editor” which only works when sending pixel images directly into the Expert Workspace. Raw images need to go via the ACR workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may have maybe figured it out.  The files that will not open are on my icloud drive, I made sure to reconnect all files but it will not open in editor. However if I put them on my hard drive its works just as you said above.  I was hoping to be able to keep things on a cloud drive but it doesnt seem to like that option. This is a new computer and installation so just getting started. Need to figure out all the ins and outs for how i want to save files. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Generally it’s best not to reference the same files in the Apple Photos App if using mac OS or iCloud to avoid file corruption. I normally recommend using Organizer or Photos but not both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines