Highlighted

Re-creating two effects that were in iPhoto?

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me figure out how to re-create two effects that were available in iPhoto?

The first is the effect iPhoto called “Fade”. It could be applied at a range of levels, from 1 to 9. It seemed to desaturate and brighten, but also add a bluish cast.

The second is the effect iPhoto called “Edge Blur” It could be applied at a range of levels from 1 to 11. Each level increasingly blurred a portion of the image, working in towards the center with each higher level, but at each level, from 1 to 11, there the same subtle darkening of the edge of the photo around the entire image — which didn’t grow in size or darkness even as the blurring effect expanded toward the center of the photo.

Those two effects have always been favorites of my wife. I’m trying to find a way to re-create all of the details of them both for her. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Re-creating two effects that were in iPhoto?

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me figure out how to re-create two effects that were available in iPhoto?

The first is the effect iPhoto called “Fade”. It could be applied at a range of levels, from 1 to 9. It seemed to desaturate and brighten, but also add a bluish cast.

The second is the effect iPhoto called “Edge Blur” It could be applied at a range of levels from 1 to 11. Each level increasingly blurred a portion of the image, working in towards the center with each higher level, but at each level, from 1 to 11, there the same subtle darkening of the edge of the photo around the entire image — which didn’t grow in size or darkness even as the blurring effect expanded toward the center of the photo.

Those two effects have always been favorites of my wife. I’m trying to find a way to re-create all of the details of them both for her. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 15, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a vignette in Photoshop Elements, but I see no way to create the "range levels" which you reference.

It would help if you post an example of  what you are trying to achieve.

To do that, click on the "Insert Photos" at the top of the reply box here on the forum page.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Hatstead. Here are some examples.

Here' s screenshot of iPhoto thumbnails, showing the progression:

Progression in iPhoto thumbnailsProgression in iPhoto thumbnails

The original photo with no effects:

Original photoOriginal photo

With level 2 of the Fade effect:

2nd level Fade2nd level Fade

Next, 4th level fade:

4th level fade4th level fade

Sixth level fade:

6th level fade6th level fade

Finally, edited, with some other work, at Fade level 4 with some Edge Blur:

Edited with level 4 Fade & an Edge BlurEdited with level 4 Fade & an Edge Blur

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2019 0
Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are directions for creating a vignette:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2019 0
hatstead LATEST
Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open the picture file (Background layer). 2. Open a blank layer above this. 3. Activate the Elliptical marquee tool and set feather to 25. Experiment with this value.4. Drag out an oval to contain the object, then fill the oval with black. 5. Duplicate the Background layer and drag the Background copy layer above the oval layer, then group the 2 layers - press CTRL+G. 

6. Shut off the visibiliry of the Background layer.

Once you have created this, you can tint as desired, and change brightness/contrast to suit. Unfortunately this is a manual process.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2019 0