Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recover photos from organiser thumbnails

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

i accidentally deleted some photo files (JPEG) in Windows 7 when transferring them to an ext. hard drive. There are no copies to be found In my computer hard  drive or backups. The thumbnails are still visible in the PSE 8 Organiser but are no longer, and cannot be connected, to the original files.

Please can anyone tell me if there any way I can copy these thumbnails so that at  least I still have a record of these photos? Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Have you looked in the Recycle Bin?  Otherwise, all I can suggest is to use a file recovery utility. Ashampoo Undeleter is a cheap one that I have used in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked in the Recycle Bin?  Otherwise, all I can suggest is to use a file recovery utility. Ashampoo Undeleter is a cheap one that I have used in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

many thanks for your suggestion which I will look into. I did try a couple of free recovery programmes with no luck on my HD and ext. HD. 

The  files were in fact  on an external HD before I accidentally deleted them so wouldn’t have gone into the recycle bin on my laptop which I empty  regularly after checking the contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, you can't recover a better quality than the thumbnails, and I don't know any way to do that in batch.

The only way would be to display each thumbnail in the organizer and to take a screenshot.

Why?

Because thumbnails are not stored in any image format. They are stored as binary fields for images in 320 x 240 pixels size in the thumb.5.cache file in your catalog folder. That cache file is a sqlite database like the main catalog.psexxdb file. I don't know any utility to extract those binary fields and to convert them to photo format like jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks. Screen shots would be a good option and as you indicate  possibly the only one. I will try that as I agree, whilst not being an expert  but following logic, there can no longer be any data attached to the thumbnails as they are no longer attached to any files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One can also try another third party Photo recovery software, Kernel Photo recovery. It is a well tested and secure software developed by Kernel Data recovery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines