• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recovering from a disc crash and a backup

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC crashed and it seems the C drive disc has failed.  Fortunately I have a full backup on an external drive.  I purchased a new PC and I am now trying to retrieve/recover from my Catalog which is held within the full backup.  I can find no way of doing this.  I can see the lists of .xmp and thumbnails, etc.  But PSE10 doesn't seem to allow me to access them for recovery.  I hope I haven't lost 47,000 pics and their Keywords and Captions.  Any thoughts anyone will be gratefully received.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Hemel+Brian  wrote

My PC crashed and it seems the C drive disc has failed.  Fortunately I have a full backup on an external drive.  I purchased a new PC and I am now trying to retrieve/recover from my Catalog which is held within the full backup.  I can find no way of doing this.  I can see the lists of .xmp and thumbnails, etc.  But PSE10 doesn't seem to allow me to access them for recovery.  I hope I haven't lost 47,000 pics and their Keywords and Captions.  Any

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Hemel+Brian  wrote

My PC crashed and it seems the C drive disc has failed.  Fortunately I have a full backup on an external drive.  I purchased a new PC and I am now trying to retrieve/recover from my Catalog which is held within the full backup.  I can find no way of doing this.  I can see the lists of .xmp and thumbnails, etc.  But PSE10 doesn't seem to allow me to access them for recovery.  I hope I haven't lost 47,000 pics and their Keywords and Captions.  Any thoughts anyone will be gratefully received.

The backup folder is only to be used from the menu File >> Restore Catalog.

You are asked where you want to restore; since it's a new computer I would use restore to 'New location' by stating a master folder you'll create for your library. If you choose to keep the original folder hierarchy, the restore will keep it under that master folder. The catalog folder itself will also be restored under that new master folder. If you prefer, you can use the menu File >> Manage catalogs to move it to standard location. The links in the catalog will be updated; if you restore from a newer Elements version, you'll be asked to convert the catalog at the end of the process.

Backup or restore catalogs in Elements Organizer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Michel again

I finally located my .tly file on the new computer (it is long story).

It seemed to restore OK but there are a number of Reconnects required.  However, when I looked at this, a LARGE number of the pics had the wrong keywords assigned and the wrong captions.  I assume there is no easy answer to this except to go through the 27,000 pics one by one and correct them, assuming I know what and who they are.

Your comments will be gratefully received.  Many thanks.

Best regards

Brian Worrell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines