• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RED Images?

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When shooting using monochrome setting in Camera RAW, and then transferring to lap top, thumbnails appear in B/W, when image is opened in RAW, images appear red.

However, when shooting images as a JPEG, they appear as B/W when opened in Elements.

I used a red filter when shooting the images.

Is this something that can be easily resolved? ie, should I uninstall/reinstall Elements, or is it something deeper?

I am using a Nikon D90.

Alistair

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You used an actual Red filter on the lens or the Red effect for B&W in the camera settings?

Could you post a screenshot of what your seeing in Camera Raw?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I used a red filter and this is what I get when opening as a raw image in Elements.

DSC_0020 2.jpg

Alistair

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a sample of what the same photo looks like in the Black and White jpeg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to Jeff, however I cannot get the file to reduce any lower than 9.8MB by making it a zip file. I can change the file size using the lossy system, but the image remains red, even as a jpeg!

I've uninstalled/reinstalled just to see if it made any difference, but no.

I tend to keep my images in folders in "pictures" on my MAC and rarely use Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, I took some photos today, using Monochrome setting, no filters and images are coming out in colour in Raw, but thumbnails are in B/W.... confused

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alistairb38443433  wrote

Hi Jeff, I took some photos today, using Monochrome setting, no filters and images are coming out in colour in Raw, but thumbnails are in B/W.... confused

Do you mean the thumbnails in the organizer? Or in your browser? If in the organizer, does the option to 'Update thumbnail' restore the red color?

The monochrome mode in your camera does not change anything in your raw data which reflect the true color of the photo with the filter. This mode is just a tag in the metadata to tell how the in-camera conversion to jpeg  should convert the raw data. It is ignored by the raw  conversion. You should get red images from your raw files and their thumbnails in Elements while jpegs should come out in B/W.

I think that your camera can embed a B/W thumbnail in the raw file which should be used by other viewers than the Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

The thumbnails are kept in folders in "pictures" on my MAC, I rarely use Organizer.

I use the red filter to enhance contrast when shooting in B/W and haven't had this issue before. I've even reset my camera back to factory settings but now B/W thumbnails are appearing in colour when opened in Elements Raw and thats without using a filter of any sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alistairb38443433  wrote

Hi Michael,

The thumbnails are kept in folders in "pictures" on my MAC, I rarely use Organizer.

I use the red filter to enhance contrast when shooting in B/W and haven't had this issue before. I've even reset my camera back to factory settings but now B/W thumbnails are appearing in colour when opened in Elements Raw and thats without using a filter of any sort.

Yes, that's exactly what is expected as I explained before.

The raw file records the real color of the scene through the red filter.  Your camera, like most others, has a sensor to capture color scene srather than monochrome ones. The light is filtered through red, green and blue filters before hitting the sensor. The photo sites record only the intensity of light, so the raw data in itself has no color, but the colored filter array (Bayer sensor) enables a conversion to a color image. That conversion is made by your camera to create a jpeg  colored image. Or the conversion is made in Elements ACR in your computer. As a matter of fact, when you set your camera to monochrome, you first get a conversion raw to color, then a conversion color to monochrome. When you open a raw file, it well be converted to color because the raw converter ignores the setting for monochrome (your output intent).

Now, what about the thumbnails?

Generally a small jpeg thumbnail is embedded in a raw file together with the raw data. This is done in camera when you select the raw format. The camera knows your intent (monochrome) and creates a B/W thumbnail

The organizer creates thumbnails from the raw file data while ignoring the info about your intent. The organizer thumbnails reflects the settings you use with the different sliders in ACR and the result of your conversion. If you set the saturation slider to zero, the thumbnail will be monochrome.

If you are using another viewing software, it may only extract the embedded thumbnail joined to the raw data, without any editing on your part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand why.

I do understand how light works, as I’ve been doing this sort of thing for years.

When I shoot B/W I haven’t always used red to enhance contrast. I know that the image would be in red if the filter was used in a colour exposure, thats obvious, but this is B/W and a common way to enhance contrast, as used by many photographers throughout the world.

Are you saying, I should only shoot B/W as a jpeg when using a red filter?

I’ve done this before and never had this problem occur

I’ve just shot a series of B/W photos in RAW and:

Shot 1 No filter Aperture priority - appears b/w in thumbnail but in colour when opened in elements raw?

Shot 2 added red filter and comes out b/w in thumbnail, but red in raw

Shot 3 red filter in camera landscape setting comes out red in thumbnail and red in elements raw

Shot 4 no filter in camera landscape setting comes out in colour and colour in elements raw.

I’m confused….

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,

Ok,I've had my head buried in a filter book for a wee while now, and am now starting to understand.

Take photo, open in raw, do some adjustments and then convert to B/W.

Oh, and use my camera settings correctly!

Apologies for some of my tone at times, but did find it confusing.

Thanks for your patience

Alistair

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The D90 should have settings called Picture Controls that allow you simulate a Red filter and others in camera without needing an actual red filter on the lens. Filter Effects page 112.

Nikon | Download center | D90

In order to see the black and white version of the raw/nef image you will need Capture NX-D from nikon, which is free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for that info Jeff.

Have read the Chris Weston book on “Mastering Filters For Photography” and found some info on this, should have read it first!

Anyway thanks for your patience.

Alistair

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines