• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restoring 60 year old 35mm transparencys

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have boxes of old slides which are in very poor condition. Mostly the problem is a red color cast on Anscochrome and some kodachrome slides. I use various color change sliders in Photoshop Elements 2019.

But here is the problem, if I use the Enhance, Auto color correction, then the photo comes out with either a green overall color cast or a blue overall color cast, there is nothing in between.

I get much the same result using Enhance, Adjust Color, Remove Color Cast, or if I use Enhance, AdjustColor, Adjust Hue/Saturation.

Is there any way to avoid a color cast of one color or another?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried File>Open in Camera Raw? Or try using a Levels adjustment layer.

Can you post a representative sample image so we can give you some better suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for your suggestion.

I have never used "Camera Raw" before. It gives me many more sliders to
play with, and I think the results will be better.

I have only tried one photo so far, but the result is quite promising, so
thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you digitizing these slides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am scanning them with a Canon Canoscan 9000F Mk 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completed scanning a bunch of old slides with a Kodak scanner. Some of the slides remained in good condition over the years, some had cracked and others had faded. Do a few at a time. As suggested by Greg_S, try camera raw, levels, and clone over defects. Where there is a large defect, try to select an adjacent "good" area, place it on its own layer, position it over the defect - ---- a digital patch.

Feel free to come back if you need help.

PS I don't use the auto commands. For this type of work I find it best to use adjustment layers, e.g. levels, brightness/contrast, hue/saturation, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines