• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Samsung S20 photos will not open in Photoshop Elements 2019

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community - Has anyone got any advice vs Samsung S20 photos. My catalogue has several thousand photos taken on various devices - but is not happy with Samsung S20 photos! The photos are fine in Windows but when loaded into Photoshop Elements 2019 - they will not display. No error message is given. I have just spent 45 mins on the support chatline - but that has not proven successful. I need to retry Mon - Fri, so will do so - but just wanted to see if anyone already had a similar experience. Thanks.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Charles,

If those files are indeed jpegs, the problem rather looks like another issue. There has been a number of cases when people had the same problem, not because the photo was taken from a given camera, but because it was shared by Whattsapp, FB or other social media. It appeared that those sites added some pieces of metadata in the jpeg, which were rejected as non standard by Elements. The workaround was to open the file by any of the available simple editors on your computer and save them

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean raw format files from the S20 (which file extension?) then you are out of luck with Photoshop2020.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/faq-will-photoshop-elements-work-with-my-camera-or...

Your camera is too new. It requires the ACR converter plugin 12.2.1 and PSE2019 is only compatible to 10.4. Even PSE2020 is limited to version 12.0. The new version which is expected within one month or so should support your camera natively.

Your best free solution is to download the free Adobe DNGconverter mentioned in the above faq. It's a standalone program, not a plugin. It is used to batch convert a whole folder of your raw files to the universal DNG raw format that your current version can read and edit. An additional batch step, but free and with the same quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the advice. The files are all .JPG . My old iPhone 6 has no problem displaying them. 

Anyway - thanks. I'll try the follow what you have suggested. Seems strange that Adobe have not provided an update for PSE2019 to take care of something like this. Thanks again....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charles,

If those files are indeed jpegs, the problem rather looks like another issue. There has been a number of cases when people had the same problem, not because the photo was taken from a given camera, but because it was shared by Whattsapp, FB or other social media. It appeared that those sites added some pieces of metadata in the jpeg, which were rejected as non standard by Elements. The workaround was to open the file by any of the available simple editors on your computer and save them from that editor. The saved version opened in Elements. Another workaround was to open the jpeg in camera raw. Could you try and report? Thanks in advance.

Side note:

Adobe never updates an Elements version when a new one is issued (every year in Autumn).

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,

You are right - the photos I am trying to open (taken on a Samsung S20) were sent via WhatsApp. 

I notice two further points: 1) I have many past photos received via WhatsApp which open without problem but taken on other camers. 2) There are other photos in PSE2019 which are also not opening.

Some further investigation needed by me.

I will try to see common theme and will write when I have done so. I will write again when resolved.

Thanks again, Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the issue is not for all WhatsApp files and it happens also for other social media sites.

Please start by trying the workarounds:

- saving the file from simple editors first

- or opening in ACR.

Waiting for your future discoveries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Michel,

Just to confirm that the problem has been solved by your suggested action: I 'right-clicked' the .jpg files in Windows and selected "edit with Photos" and then immediately saved. The saved files then open in PSE2019 without a problem.

Many thanks for your advice on this - has saved me a lot of problems. Regards, Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to retry Mon - Fri, so will do so -

Warning, Adobe servers and forums will be exceptionally closed Monday 14th.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines