• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving and retreiving files

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I enter photos in contests around the world.  Often, they require a file name that identifies me as well as the photo.  I bring up the file that I want to send, go to Edit, resize the photo to meet their specifications and then go to the Save As command.  I put in a new file name and then log off.  Later I call up the new file name and the computer says that it never heard of that file.  Another problem is that this is erratic.  Recently, I resized 5 photos, then I went to send my photos off.  The first two  were no problem and then started getting the File Does Not Exist message.  I am able to manually go through my photos and find the photo I want and my file name is the one that I recently created.  It is impossible to send my photo off with the new file name on it.  For a couple of yeaus I used PE7 with no difficulty.  Then two years ago I decided to upgrade to PE19.  That's when the problem started.  I thought that since I received the program over the Internet, the signal became degraded.  I recently purchased the disc for PE21 and I am still having this problem.  I do check all of the extensions and they are all .jpg  .

Lynn

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using?

Later I call up the new file name and the computer says that it never heard of that file.

What does this mean?  Where are you searching for the file (in the Organizer, in the Editor, in the OS file navigator)?

What is the actual message you are receiving when you do whatever it is you are doing?

If you are using the Organizer to find your files, when you save an editied file under a new name, are you checking the Include in the Elements Organizer box?

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.01.19_15h52m11s_001_.png

If you are using the Organizer, are you moving and renaming files outside of the Organizer?  If so, DON'T.  You will end up with missing files.  (They are only missing in the Organizer, not on your hard drive.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows.  I am not going outside the Organizer.   I admit, my comuter capabilities are not the best but I am doing the exact same thing every single time.  I tried to send five photos and the program recognized the first, second and fifth photos but did not recognize the third and fourth.  L.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use <Save As>, and insert the new file name in, everything is working fine.  I type <Fauna_Clemons_L_Image1> and <Fauna_Clemons_L_Image2>, everything is fine.  Image1 is in the box under the one where I type in Image2.  Then I type in <Fauna_Clemons_L_Image3>  and the two lines where Image1 and Image2 are suppposed to be are gone.  The same is true when I put in <Fauna_Clemons_L_Image4.  When I type in <Fauna_Clemons_L.Image5> the two lines with Image1 and Image2 have returned.  When I call up the entry blank for the contest, I type Fauna in their box and what comes up are the files for Images 1, 2, and 5.  The file names for Images 3 and 4 are not seen. 

Both of the two boxes on the left that you highlighted in your reply are checked.  It is not their entry form, this has happened too many times in other contests.

I just tried again - I used <Find --  file names> and all five of my photos came up.  When I highlighted Image3, I found  <edited1> which I never put in , as part of the file name.

Thanks for your assistance.  Lynn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynn5D2C said:

Then I type in <Fauna_Clemons_L_Image3> and the two lines where Image1 and Image2 are suppposed to be are gone. 

Sorry, but I still don't understand exactly what you are doing or where you are seeing the problem.  Can you show us a screenshot of what you are describing.

I used <Find -- file names> and all five of my photos came up.

I deduce from this that the files are all properly saved on your hard drive and presumably in the folder that you chose to save them in.

When I highlighted Image3, I found <edited1> which I never put in , as part of the file name.

If you are saving a copy of the file, the Save As dialog will automatically add the edited 1 suffix.  You can always remove this as long as you are not saving a file with the same name as another in the folder.

In Windows File Explorer, do you have file extensions showing?  If not, you may be confused by what you are seeing, since it is possible that you are saving your files as a psd file and another with the same name but with a jpg extension.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.01.19_23h03m46s_002_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I always check the .jpg extension and I know that is not the difficulty.  I do the <Find . . . files>, type int he word Fauna and do a search.  Five fingernail photos pop up and they all have the proper file name attached to them.  If I could, I would transfer the fingernail photo over to the entrance sheet.  I would sent a screen shot if I could do that but the instruction manuals that I have say nothing about them. I only have one folder.  Probably not the most time saving way of keeping the photos but until now, I haven't really needed them.  Perhaps I'll try and establish for those photos that I am having trouble with.  Thanks again.   Lynn   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines