• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Photos in Photoshop v Photos On My Computer

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I do any editing in Photoshop Elements, and I save the photo, both the old and the new photo appear in the photo files on my computer; but, in Photoshop Elements only the edited photo appears in the folder.  If I delete a photo in Photoshop Elements, the deleted photo still appears in the photo files on my computer.  Similarly, if I delete a photo from the photo files on my computer, the deleted photo still shows in the folder in Photoshop.  I want my photos in Photoshop Elements to be the same as my photos in the photo files on my computer, and vice versa.  How do I get that to happen?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think that what are seeing is the effect of version sets. When you edit a photo, by default the new version comes to the front and the previous versions get hide behind the new one.

First, make sure you are in grid view by going to the View menu and checking Details. To the right of an edited photo, you should see a small triangle. If you click on that triangle, the version set will be expanded showing all the versions. Many people do not like to delete the original photo but they only want to see the latest version - so they stacked.

Now the golden rule is do NOT delete, rename or move a photo without using the organizer. If you make a change outside of organizer you can end up with missing files in the organizer.

Another thing that you might like to look at is that you can remove a photo from the organizer but leave the file still in your folders. When you go to remove a photo in organizer, the confirmation box has an option - delete the photo from the disk as well as organizer.

Hope that all makes sense.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just a  bit more information that I forgot to say in the previous post.

With version sets, you have a few options open to you.
1. Flatten the stack - means the organizer will remove all the old versions from the catalog and you have the option to also delete them from the disk
2. Convert the stack to individual photos where each version is shown as a non-stacked item
3. Revert to the original - means remove all the edit versions leaving the original, again with the option to delete the edited files from the disk

Each option can be selected by right clicking on the photo, select Version Set and then the option

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the catalog, and I checked in various folders -- there is no triangle on any of the photos.

When I edit a photo, I save the edited version, and I delete the original version -- at least, that's what I've been doing so far.  Whenever I do that, only the edited version will appear in Photoshop Elements.  But when I go to the photo folders on my laptop, both versions of the photo are there.

Earlier, when I first got the Photoshop Elements software, I tried saving both versions of the photo, original and edited, and I tried stacking the photos -- I found it to be too confusing for me, which is the reason why I delete the original when I finish editing.

At some point I will have to learn how to use Photoshop Elements and all that it has to offer; but, for now I'm just using it for basic photo editing and sorting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please tell us your PSE version and operating system

When you have edited a photo, how are you deleting the old one?

If you use "Delete from catalog", then the next confirmation dialog box has an option there to also delete from disk - check that option  before clicking on OK. The selected photo should then be deleted from the catalog and the disk

AlsoDelete.jpg

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I'm using Photoshop Elements 2018.

When I edit a photo and save it, the dialogue box opens, and I'm asked whether or not I want to replace the original photo.  I always select "replace original photo."  In Photoshop, I only see the replacement photo; but, when I go into the photo catalogue on my laptop, both photos, the original and the edited version, are there.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or I'm missing a step in the process -- this is the way I've been doing it since I got Photoshop Elements.  I'm not complaining -- I'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been trying to recreate your problem but I can't - maybe I'm missing a step.

These are my steps

1. select photo in the organizer and then click on the edit button

2. The editor opens and loads the photo

3. I make the required changes

4. I close the editor and answer yes to "Do you want to save"

5. On the Save As dialog, I have checked the "Include in Organizer" box and unchecked the "Save in version set" & "Save as a copy" boxes, then clicked on Save button

6. I then get a Confirm Save As dialog asking if I want to replace it - I click on the Yes button

7. I get the JPG options and I click on OK button

8. I am returned to the editor showing just the one photo

9. When I look in Windows file explorer there is only one copy of the photo

Can you see where my actions differ from yours?

What type of image do you start with - J~PG?

When you look in file explorer, are the names exactly the same?

Personally, I would tend to use version sets and when I had finished, I would flatten the set opting to remove the earlier copies from the disk.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

You are following the same actions that I am performing.

I randomly selected a photo from a folder in Photoshop, did the edit, and did the save, as you showed in your steps, and I have the saved photo in Photoshop.  When I went into my photo files on the laptop, not using Photoshop, lo and behold, the saved photo was there, and not the original -- WTF?  (pardon the language)

I know that I didn't imagine this, because weeks ago, when I was editing some photos, I found that the edited photo plus the original photo were in my photo files on the laptop.  It was causing me a problem because I wanted to email the photos, and when I went to retrieve the photo, I couldn't remember which one was the one I wanted to keep and which one was the one I had wanted to discard after editing -- both were there.  Now, for some reason, I cannot recreate the problem.

I'm going to go back to the drawing board, as the saying goes, to try again.  I will contact you if the same problem makes its appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Well, I did go into a trance and cast one of my lucky spells on your system.

If you do hit the problem again, come back and I'll see if I can help

Good luck

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I think that I found my mistake.  And YOU'RE RIGHT!

I finally saw (paid attention to) the delete options.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Glad the mystery is solved.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

That also helps me also so thanks for that. However is it possible to save only to Photoshop Elements 2020 rather than to My Computer Photos as well? I have a new computer and dont want to excessivly fill the hard drive and slow down the computer by having them in two areas. Thanks.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rob_macaskill said:

is it possible to save only to Photoshop Elements 2020 rather than to My Computer Photos as well? I have a new computer and dont want to excessivly fill the hard drive and slow down the computer by having them in two areas.

Rob, you have a misconception about the Organizer and its catalog.  The Organizer catalog is only a database that points to the files on your computer wherever they are stored.  When you import a photo into the catalog, it does not copy the file which already exists on your computer.  When you edit a file and save a copy, you now have two files stored on your computer - the original and your edited copy.   To save space, you would have to delete one or the other from your computer.  As discussed in detail above, you should only delete unwanted files within the catalog or you should overwrite the original when saving the edited "copy."  Do not delete files using Windows File Explorer (or the Mac equivalent).  The catalog will not know you have deleted the file and will continue to show the thumbnail in the grid as a "missing" file.

I am also going to ask an administrator to change your screen name to remove your personal email address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines