• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search Freezes in Photoshop Elements 2019

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased Adobe 2019 and the application is "freezing" when I perform a search.  What I mean by freezing is the following:

1.  Perform a search.

2.  The results appear

--> At this point, you cannot double click on any of the photos to increase their size on your screen

-->If you click the Grid (back button) it won't return you to the previous screen, the application remains in a 'greyed' out state

3.  You can't click on anything other than the menus.  Your only option is to exit the application and re-enter.

Screen shots below

Here is a test catalog I created with 1 image:

Before Search.JPG

I perform the search (I cannot click on the found photo to increase its size)

After Search.JPG

When I click the Grid button to return to the main screen, it puts me here

(notice I lost the menu on the right side, the Back Button now appears)

I can no longer click anything in this screen as it frozen (with the exception of the Menu bar across the top

After Clicking Grid Button.JPG

Running windows 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you have just purchased 2019, it is probably undertaking a media analysis of your catalog.  This can create a drag on the program's performance.  You can turn the auto-analysis off in preferences.  Otherwise, depending on the size and nature of your catalog media, it can take several days to complete the analysis.

And it is not possible to do much in the search window.  You have to return to the grid to increase the size of the search result thumbnails, or to apply tags etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already disabled all media analysis.

Also refer to the steps above....I was having a problem with my converted catalog so I created a test catalog with 1 photo and still the problem exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After clicking grid simply double click the thumbnail to enlarge. Don’t click the back button as that will take you out of the grid results and back to All Media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate everyone's response, but if you can read the original thread, I have two problems:

Problem #1 -  you cannot double click on any of the photos to increase their size on your screen

Problem #2 -  If you click the Grid (back button) it won't return you to the previous screen, the application remains in a 'greyed' out state.

I need to solve both of these problems to make the new application usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 what happens if you select a thumbnail and push the zoom slider all the way to the right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Check out the screenshots above.  Once you do the search the slider is gone.

If I never do a 'search' the application performs fine.  Once I do a search (which I do quite often), that's when the application becomes unusable.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very strange. When I select a search result and click the grid button the slider and info/tags panel are all available. Double clicking in the centre of a thumbnail also brings the image into full screen. You may need to re-install.

But are you using the find button to search (top right or Ctrl+F) or selecting from the tag list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Reinstalling is something I didn't try yet (because I just installed it) , but it's worth a shot.  I'll do it tonight when I get home.

The problems happen when I use the top right search button.  If I select tags from the list (to filter), that's working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To close the loop here, re-installing didn't work.  Tried several other things to no avail.  Finally uninstalled the app, called adobe, and got a refund.   It's too bad, I really like this organizer.

If anyone ever has this problem and finds a solution, please edit this post.  I would love to give the app another try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. It appeared in 2018 version.  Thought I could fix it by buying 2019.  No such luck. Same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to make it work by disabling NVDIA grapics adapter in devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution - Definately a bug in the Organizer-

1. You click on the search magnafying glass in the upper right corner of the ogranizer
  2. You enter a search term
  3. Results are returned in a reasonable length of time
  4. To work with the results, you click the "Grid" button on the upper left
  5. In the grid screen, the results show but are frozen - Double click and nothing happens
  6. Solution- ALT-TAB and there you are on the Double click results

Adobe two problems here-

1. I should not have to click the "Grid Button", the search results should be in a grid already - Design Issue
  2. Alt-Tab to display the active grid screen is a BUG

This has been a recurring problem for me for a long time, I used to think that the grid freeze happened on its own.  Just now I find that it is the alt-tab that works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My first general comment is that the 'freeze' does not happen for everybody, otherwise the forums (including the feedback one) would be full of complaints since it's a command everyone has to use many times. I have never been able to reproduce it and the only reported working solution today is about hardware (graphic card, which is a common source of all kinds of unexplained issues). I never had such freeze on any PSE version and several Windows computers.

What you say about the 'design' of the necessity to click the 'back' button is something which Adobe can do someting about. Like everybody I have often been caught in wondering why I could not manage files in the workspace before I realize I am only in the search results dialog... I don't see either how you could be brought automatically back without losing the ability to continue your searches by successive trials. So, there needs to be something to remind you visually that you are NOT in the normal browsing space. Not a big deal once you have been caught a couple of times, the 'back' button does its job. However solving that display annoyance would make the real 'freezes' more obvious and help finding the criteria to reproduce the real (hardware?) issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines