• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shape tool in Layer Mask

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded to Elements 2020, and I'm trying to do what I feel like I've always done (occasional, not pro, photo editing). I've created a Layer Mask and Inverted the mask, then I usually will grab the Shape tool and draw a white Rectangle or Ellipse. However, this time, the shape doesn't get applied to the Mask, instead, it auto-creates a new layer. 

My paintbrush will effect the mask, but not the shape tool. I've also been able to use the Marquee tool to draw the shape I'd like, and then fill with the paint bucket, but this is not ideal. 

Anyone know why the Shape tool won't draw onto the Layer Mask.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop elements or photoshop were you using before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After you invert the layer mask, Option or Alt click on the mask thumbnail in the layers panel (that will turn the image black) then draw your shape out and Option or Alt click on the mask to return to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines