• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shared Catalogue?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my wife is running PSE 2020 on her laptop, and I am running it on my laptop, can we share a single catalogue created in a network folder?

Thanks, Dave

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements is not designed to share a single catalog. In fact, even cloud services require a single subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my wife is running PSE 2020 on her laptop, and I am running it on my laptop, can we share a single catalogue created in a network folder?

You can access media files from a network, but sharing a single catalog is another story. Storing the catalog on a network is impossible on Macs and I don't know of successful implementations on Windows. Working with networks with the organizer has other drawbacks and I'll leave network experts comment on what can be done, knowing that Adobe does not help with networks in the organizer.

Now, if you are really ready to share a single catalog and library with your wife, the simplest, most affordable and safest way is to store the catalog as well as the media files on a common external USB drive that you plug in alternatively to your laptops.

No technical problems or traps. Only use your network to store backups. The problems are not technical, they are only a matter of trust and understanding... Just imagine you don't want to manage the same images, you don't want to assign the same keywords, you don't want to share the same albums.

Then you might even consider managing two different catalogs pointing to the same image files. Of course, it would not be recommended to let one of you delete, rename or move files physically from drive knowing that what is made from one catalog is ignored by the other, but you can agree on good practices...

You can even store a common catalog and your own personal versions on the external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one small addition to what Michel has to say - Auto-creations are stored in a system folder.  So, in theory, even if you use a common external drive to store a catalog and media, the program may generate different auto-creations for each computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

That's interesting:

"Just one small addition to what Michel has to say - Auto-creations are stored in a system folder.  So, in theory, even if you use a common external drive to store a catalog and media, the program may generate different auto-creations for each computer."

According to the Help files, auto-creations are stored 'by default on your My Pictures folder' and displayed in the Home screen. I don't use them and I can't check if you have another choice than the default. I can imagine having an option in the preferences for that choice. As I understand it, auto-creations are not managed at all in catalogs. So it's up to you to 'import' those creations in your catalog? Just like 'exported' files are not included in the catalog automatically?

That brings another question about having a catalog on the shared external drive which does not only point to files on the external drive. For instance, files downloaded from the Web or various other sources. Those files will be accessible from your catalog only from the laptop storing those files. They will be shown as 'disconnected / missing' from the other, but I think you could live with that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelBParis said:
According to the Help files, auto-creations are stored 'by default on your My Pictures folder' and displayed in the Home screen.

Michel, can you give me a link to the HelpX page you are referring to?  The Auto-creations are stored in the C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\18.0 folder.  Of course, as you say, the files are not directly stored in a catalog unless the user saves them to the catalog, but I thought it was worth mentioning as part of the discussion about using a common catalog.  I would be really curious if two computers using the same catalog would create different auto-creations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

I simply typed 'auto creations' in the home screen search bar, and I went to the 'save' suggestion:

https://helpx.adobe.com/elements-organizer/using/auto-creation.html#SaveanAutoCreation

So auto creations are stored in the ProgramData folder you are showing, and files that you edit are saved by default in the 'My Pictures' system folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelBParis,

You wrote, "That brings another question about having a catalog on the shared external drive which does not only point to files on the external drive. ...Those files will be accessible from your catalog only from the laptop storing those files. They will be shown as 'disconnected / missing' from the other, but I think you could live with that." 

Say we have three devices on our home local area network - my latop, my wife's laptop, and a NAS (or other type of external drive.) Each laptop maps a shared folder on the NAS to network drive E:\ (we're on Windows.) Both laptops are running Photoshop Elements, and both have designated the catalogue location as "E:\Media\Adobe". 

location.jpg 

If we make it a practice to use local disk for editing, etc, and only store final products on drive E: and in the catalogue (check in/check out), then we should be able to use the Organizer to add tags, create albums, etc., in the shared catalogue, no?

Thanks, Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I don't know. I have no experience with networks. Here is a link which may help you.

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Storing_the_catalog

I understand you have everything to test your proposal. Why not test yourself and report back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll test and report back. Thanks for all of the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any success with your idea?

It seems to me that there would be great demand for a husband and wife to share access (including editing, adding, deleting, etc.) to family photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dpflynn59 - I assume that it's obvious from all the traffic you've received that this is a complicated issue. I strongly suggest from bad experience that you heed 99jon's comment. Not only will some of the features not work from the second catalog but you risk corrupting both catalogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines