• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should Photoshop Elements 2018 work on Macbook Pro 2019?

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have a Macbook Air 2015 Catalina and it runs PSE 2018 just fine.  Sometimes slows but is fine.

But now I have the MBP 2019 and it crashes.  Won't even open.  Is this now fact, that it just won't work on the Pro?  And that I need the 2020 version of elements.  I don't want to force my laptop to run at 32BIT, as obviously 64bit is better.

Any advice appreciated.

Simon

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon

Even though PSE 2018 is a 64bit app it uses 32 bit installers which are incompatible with Catalina. So unless Elements was already installed when upgrading the OS I think there will always be difficulties with a fresh install on Catalina.

I suggest you download PSE 2020 and use it as a free trial; you can test it free for 30 days. Install the app, launch the Editor app and install any available updates for best results with Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see.  Yes it was on the previous versions of the OS.. hence why it worked.

Now trying the 2020 Trial.  Will let you know.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope you like it. If you decide to purchase there is no need to uninstall the trial (it’s the complete version) simply activate when you have a serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Now I have 2020 up and running the thing I notice is missing side bar, or what I Think is called the Dock.

It usually contains Histry, info about the image (dimensions etc), all down the right panel.

You can turn one off and one on, move them up and down but they stay in the side panel.

Where is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Editor app you can see the dimensions (bottom-left) and there is a pull down list with a number of choices - see image below.

EdDimensions.jpg

In the Organizer app you can use the information panel for selected thumbnails. There are three main tabs general, metadata and tags. You can show or hide the panel by clicking the button (bottom-right)

Info-Panel.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not it.

In the right side Dock there are usually tiles.  One of them has info on the current selection, ie you want to Crop an image.

As you drag at, that tile shows you the pixels of your dragging shape.

Another example: you have layers of images.  You can select which ones to show (eye) or not show, and then you can select one and drag the Opacity slider.

This is nowhere to be seen...?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Editor click on the layers button (to the left of fx) to see the layers panel. To bring up the info dialog go to the top menu and click:

Window >> info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I mean.  A panel on the right, with all the tiles in there.

ss.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a very old version of Elements but you can still find the same. 

There are several buttons for effects, filters, styles and graphics. Each has a pull down menu to show all thumbnails or categories of thumbnails e.g. artistic. See image below.

Buttons.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I think it is.  Though it's so nice to have it all there in one panel, rather than click to show this, click to thow that.

It's all just 'THERE'.

So how do I display how much I am cropping, for example?  Before I would drag and you would see the pixels you have started to crop... just move a bit and you get to the right number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you drag with the crop tool you should see an overlay showing the width and height as represented by the dotted outline of the crop.

Crop-Size.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, I do.  How do I change that to Pixels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can change in prefs. Go to:

Edit >> Preferences >> Units & Rulers

There are several measurement choices for rulers e.g. pixels, inches, centimetres etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines