• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Fix: Is there a way to find out what changes it made?

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Fix often does a great job and could teach me a lot about how to enhance a photo, if I only knew what actions it took underneath the covers. Is there a way to find that out--or figure it out?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto Smart Fix is correcting overall lighting, improving the details in shadow and highlight areas, and correcting color balance. It’s a one click fix.

If you need more control try Adjust Smart Fix from the Enhance menu. Click the Auto button to begin, and then use the slider to increase or decrease the effect. Checking and un-checking the preview box lets you see the before and after views.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what Smart Fix is. The point of my question is that Smart Fix must be using underlying PSE controls to do what it does; in other words, it's doing what highly knowledgeable, expert users could do themselves in a number of steps. Knowing precisely what actions Smart Fix takes could be a hugely valuable learning tool for the rest of us. That is why I am asking whether there is a way to determine what those underlying actions are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gfbugaboo  wrote

I know what Smart Fix is. The point of my question is that Smart Fix must be using underlying PSE controls to do what it does; in other words, it's doing what highly knowledgeable, expert users could do themselves in a number of steps. Knowing precisely what actions Smart Fix takes could be a hugely valuable learning tool for the rest of us. That is why I am asking whether there is a way to determine what those underlying actions are.

Smart fix is NOT doing what highly knowledgeable experts would do. They would all produce different versions. You'll never find what any automatic improvement systems based on AI are doing. They first have to analyze and assess the visual properties of the image (tone, color range, global and local contrast, detail, depth of field, composition, type of scene or even objects...) For each of those criteria, there are ways to make the image statistically more pleasing. You'll never get a report about this kind of visual analysis, the trending quality criteria, the way those different criteria are used.

99jon is right. You have to become able to analyze the various criteria and choose yourself which ones to enhance and how. And for that, the best tool for training is to test the various detailed enhancement tools individually. That will help you define what you like, how to get the effect and finally develop your own style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's hard to determine through all the verbiage and lecturing, but I think your answer to my question is "No." Or, perhaps it's, "I don't know, and you shouldn't be asking that".)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines