• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some .jpgs not displaying/opening in Elements Organizer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very large photo collection (50,000+ photos), which is organized into chronological folders. I recently tried importing a new folder to Elements and the vast majority of the photos will not display. Instead, a gray icon appears (of a document with a rip on the bottom right). This has not ever happened before (all other photos appear fine). I never add photos saved from social media (they are all from my DSLR camera or phone camera). Additionally, I cannot figure out a common variable for the photos that will not display. Some of the photos from my phone are displaying correctly, while others are not. Some very large files are not displaying while others are not. The only commonality is that all of the ones not displaying come from the same recent folder. I have tried deleting that folder from Elements and reimporting it (twice) but that has not worked. I have tried closing out the program and restarting my computer. I also upgraded from Elements 2019 to 2021 thinking that perhaps this was an issue - but the same photos will not load (for what it's worth, I'm on Windows 10). Does anyone have any ideas on how to make these photos appear? Thanks so much!

TOPICS
Import and export , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you create a new catalog and import just the problem photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Krystin,

Thanks for reaching out with this issue. Would it be possible for you to share any of these images so that we can have a look at the issue?

Regards,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually figured out what the problem was. Evidently, there is a maximum size allowed in the catalog. Although my pixels fit under the pixel size allowance, the total size of the images was too large. I noticed that any images above 10MB were not showing up. It threw me at first because very large videos were showing up. But the images followed that pattern - everything under 10MB was fine; anything above 10MB wouldn't display or import correctly. I had to spend the last week resizing 1100 images in that folder - very frustrating since I didn't find ANYWHERE online or with Adobe info that mentioned this size capacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I mentioned, I have not seen any limits on total image size - only pixels. All of my photos were smaller than the noted 30,000 x 30,000 pixels size. No where does Adobe mention it must be under 10MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The limit is not 10 MB. It's what is explained in the 'limits for the organizer' and particularly for layered files. That's a coincidence that the MB limit in your case is roughly 10 MB.

Normally, the fact that the thumbnail can't be displayed does not prevent you from opening the .psd or .tiff layered file.

If you don't want to edit the registry, I sugges that you save a 'version set' of a flattened copy in small size. That way only the very small version will be displayed as the thumbnail in the browsing space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines