• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tags not correct imported in upgrade from photoshops elements 9 to elements 2021

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did an upgrade from the photoshop elements 9 version to the newest version now, elements 2021. As a consequence I lost most of the tags and categories. How can I restore that?

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you upgrade? By installing PSE2021 on the same computer and converting the PSE9 catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the upgrade on the same computer, whether I converted the PSE9: I don't know actually. The software started importing all photographs, I think from "pictures" in the menu. I did not use a back up file from PSE9. 

The strange thing is, that some categories are taken over accurate, but other categories (places, events eg) were lost. Also ranking with stars disappeared.

What is the right thing to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your description, I assume that when you installed PSE2021 together with PSE9 you missed the prompt which asked you to 'convert' your current catalog and agreed without realizing that it was the right thing to do. This conversion took place much faster than a new import or a restore from a full backup. The conversion meant a new catalog was created from the contents of the old one (still available with a 1 suffix with PSE9) and did not imply any IMPORT in a new catalog.

Such a conversion is supposed to keep nearly all your past catalog organization (except a few creations). However, there has been a major change in PSE11 to manage the following categories: people, places and events. The old standard tags have been translated into new kinds of tags to allow face recognition, geotagging and events.

The information should now appear in those different tag categories. Ranking with stars should not have disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reactions! I don't know whether I understand everything well, but probably I missed the prompt to convert. 

I tried to recover by uninstall the program, but that didn't work.

On the other side I never succeeded in making a proper back up in the old version. That is to say: I did it, but in a way I couldn't open this back up. 

Is it possible to start all over? It is a collection of about 80.000 pictures.... I am quite disturbed because of the loss of data (tags and stars).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can start  over.

From the organizer menu: File >> manage catalogs, you get the manage dialog in which there is a 'convert' button.

This shows the convert options. Pay attention to the checkbox to 'show already converted catalogs' and browse to your PSE9 catalog. It should have a " 1" suffix added in the previous conversion.

The new conversion will create a new catalog without changing anything to your previous catalog or to your media files.

Side note: If you don't see the star ratings, maybe you are in the new thumbnail 'adaptative view' instead of the 'detailed' view. Use the shortcut 'Ctrl D' to switch to and from both modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Thank you so much!!! Your instructions were clear and effective!!

As far as I can see now all tags are restored. The star rating is also preserved.

The automatice face recognition runs again. That will take same time.... But that's no problem.

For now I am very glad.

With kind regards!

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a similar problem but am not having the same success.  I recently purchased a new Macbook Pro with M1 processor.  My 2013 Macbook with PSE 2020 was and still is working well.  I understood the M1 wouldn't work with PSE 2020, even with Rosetta, but forgot that at one point & tried to load PSE 2020 on my new machine.  It mostly worked, but failed to load almost all of my tags, stacks, captions or stars--a few stars came over, but not many of my 36K catalog.  Recalling PSE 2020 shouldn't run on the M1 processor, I assumed the problem was the version & purchased and loaded PSE 2022 on the new machine.  But I have the same problem.   

When I did the 2022 install, I had the option to convert the previous catalog and DID do so.  The catalog recognizes all of the files, but almost none of the stars.  It also lost all of the stacks and captions.  It did import most of the tags, as Imported keyword tags.  With much effort I've rebuilt my previous tag structure.

Any suggestions as to how to reattach stars, stacks, and captions would be greatly appreciated!  I still have the 2013 Macbook with PSE 2020 catalog but have been unable to copy that onto the new Mac.  I tried the restore of previously restored catalog as worked for Nick, but got the same result (no stars, stacks, etc.) but with the loss of the new tags I'd rebuilt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines