Highlighted

Tags not transferred to the duplicated photos

New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Photoshop Elements 2020 and using the File/Duplicate command, the duplicated photo does not contain any of the Tags from the original photo. 

TOPICS
Organizer, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Tags not transferred to the duplicated photos

New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Photoshop Elements 2020 and using the File/Duplicate command, the duplicated photo does not contain any of the Tags from the original photo. 

TOPICS
Organizer, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 25, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of tags are you looking for and where are you looking?  A duplicate file cannot be imported into the catalog because it already exists there.  If you look at the duplicate file's properties, in Windows Explorer, the tags should be present in the duplicate (at least if you have written the metadata to the original file).  I have just tested this with both keyword and People tags.  They all seem to be written to the duplicate file. I don't know what happens if you are working with a Mac OS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm attempting to do is use the File/Duplicate command when in the Elements Organizer.  For example, I have an existing photo in Organizer named IMG_123.jpg with Organizer Tags of "Dave" and "Peter" attached.  When I use the Organizer File/Dupliate command to make a duplicate of the image, Organizer creates a new file IMG_123-copy.jpg.  But it does NOT carry over the two Tags to this new, duplicated file.  I have to manually re-add the Tags to the new file IMG_123-copy.jpg.  You would think that Organizer would copy these Tags to the new file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2019 0
Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be some inconsistency in behavior here.  I have tried the File>Duplicate command with several images.  With one that only had a People name tag, the tag metadata was not copied.  With another that had several keyword tags attached, the keywords were copied.  (I'm guessing that in this one, the metadata of the original file had been written to the file.)  If there is no metadata written to the file, using the File>Duplicate command copies the file into the catalog and appends "copy" to the name.  If metadata is written to the file, sometimes the file is copied to the catalog and sometimes it isn't.  And if it isn't, I can't import the file to the catalog because it is a duplicate of what is already there.  I have not yet figured out what may cause this discrepency. 

In any event, why do you want to create duplicates?  There are arguments going both ways as to why the tags should not be applied to the duplicate file.  I'm afraid what files the Organizer considers to be a duplicate remains a mystery to most of us.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, that's an interesting discovery. Yes, I can see now that People Tags don't get replicated to the duplicated image, but Places Tags and Events Tags do get replicated to the duplicated image. Why it would be designed that way is a mystery.

Thanks...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow-up, I launched my old Photoshop Elements 9 on my old PC.  When I perform the File/Duplicate function with an image file it DOES replicate ALL of the Tags to the replicated image - People, Places and Events.  It would appear that not replicating People Tags in Elements 2020 might be a bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2019 0
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably considered an intended behavior, not a bug.  Since version 11, I think, the People, Places, Events tags are considered system tags rather than keyword tags.  For example, the new-style People tag is associated with face recognition and there are catalog files (.json) that contain the face recognition information that is related to the person tagged.  Duplicating a file I believe requires a new .json file to be created for the duplicate before the face recognition information is applied to the duplicate.  Given the improvement of face recognition over the years, it is possible that a new version of the program may find a new face in a newly created duplicate that was not found in an earlier version.  I'm speculating here and have not tested out this theory.  And I don't know whether face recognition analysis is performed on each image for each version of the program, or whether the information is simply passed through via the catalog conversion process when a new version is installed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Greg_S.

I think that the real and only interesting question is which is your purpose to create purposely duplicates?

I can imagine special reasons to do that.

However:

1 - On practical as well as theoretical grounds it is considered to be a disaster to create duplicates when you can avoid them.

2 - There are other ways to create duplicates and even to include them in the current catalog. Either from the export as new files plus reimporting or the save as a copy or a version set with 'include in the organizer checked'.

So, choosing the 'duplicate' command must have a special purpose. Whatever that purpose, it must have other advantages than avoiding duplicating (using links to the same file). For me that means the ability to keep both 'versions' independent and able to be edited or used differently for different purposes.

As you have seen, the 'duplicate' command keeps the same tags, even if you don't 'write metadata to files'.

For people management, you can use either normal keywords and your own customized hierarchies (important for me for family and genealogy requirements), they are never lost in duplication.

You can also use face recognition  (totally useless for me) which implies a management by stacks. Stacks, albums and version sets are not attributes of a single file. They express relations between groups of photos. Duplicating a file does not in itself say which relation the 'duplicate' will have with other files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0