• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transfer catalog to new computer

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new computer and have transferred all of my photos to the new PC, in what I call my Master Photo File. On my old PC it was the same file and Elements 9 looked to that file for all the pictures.  I wasn't sure I was going to add the old Elements 9 program to the new PC, but now have decided to do so.  I backed up my catalog from the old PC to an external hard drive and planned on importing that file into Elements 9 on my new PC. It seems as though it will duplicate all of my photos when I import.  Am I correct on this?  I don't want 60 GB of duplicate photos.  Any ideas?

Bernie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The recommended way to transfer a catalog (with the media files):

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catalog-photoshop.html

The general problem is that most users never search or ask for a solution. They understand they'll have to move both the catalog and the media files. They know how to move media file, so they start with that and only then, they think about moving the catalog. Too late. The right procedure described above can't work without also moving the files so that the links in the catalog are kept. You have wasted your time. 

It seems as though it will duplicate all of my photos when I import."

With the above procedure, you NEVER have to IMPORT. Importing can't restore your organization in your catalog. At most, you'll recover tags and captions IF you have 'written metadata to files' before the import. You'll never recover albums, stacks, version sets or creations.

That does not mean that you absolutely have to delete the media files you have already copied. If you select the same master folder as a custom restore order, the restore will detect those and ask if you want to overwrite them.

If your library has 60 GB, it's a small one. I hope your new computer has enough space to deal with a temporary duplication, so my suggestion for maximal safety would be to state a slightly different master folder name. After the restore, you can check everything and delete the original copy when you are sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines