• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transfer files to updated version on Elements

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Hi,I have updated to Elements 2020 but don’t know how to transfer everything from my older version .I don’t have enough free space on my computer to set up the 2020 version without deleting my old version first.Should I copy my Elements 12 to ext hard drive,delete and from my computer.If so how do I do this?I worry I will lose everything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about losing your photo files or catalog when updating to 2020.  I would be more concerned about your lack of hard drive space if you need to delete the old program before installing the latest.  How much free space do you have on your computer?

If this is really necessary, you can delete the old program before installing the new one.  Uninstalling the program will not remove your catalog with all your tags and other information.  Nor will it remove your media files.

When you install 2020, it will look for the latest catalog you have used on your computer, and will convert it to the format for 2020.  However, your old catalog will remain during the conversion process. Once the conversion process has taken place, you will be able to delete it to conserve space.  (The old catalog will be renamed "My Catalog 1" if you have just used the My Catalog default name.)  Depending on the size of your catalog and the amount of free hard space you have, the conversion process may run into some space issues, as some temporary files are probably created.

For safety's sake, it would be wise to backup your catalog to your external drive.  If necessary, you can restore the catalog using Elements 2020.  The old catalog will then be converted during the restore process.

Feel free to ask for more information if I have not been clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Great information Greg.Thank you 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines