• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transfer old Photoshop Elements 5.0 to New laptop

New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. My old desktop computer died and I am setting up a new laptop with Windows 10 on it.  

My question is:  can I transfer my old Photoshop Elements 5.0 to the laptop via download using serial number?  The program is registered, I have the serial number, etc.but I don't have the installation CD.  

Please advise. 

Thanks.  

TOPICS
Download and install , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

PSE5 is very old and it may not work with a current version of W10. Even if you had the original installation disk you are likely to see runtime errors requiring additional components from Microsoft or the software would need to be run in a compatibility mode. My advice would be to get the latest version of PSE 2020. The interface is different but many of the tools will be familiar. Why not download the free trial and test it for 30 days before purchase.

The catalog format will be different an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Unfortunately, there has never been a download for PSE5. By that time, the license number was not kept on an activation server by Adobe;   it was only linked with your physical CD. 
On the other hand, even if I have been able to test reinstalling PSE5 on my Win 10 PC, there are known compatibility issues. 
It's time to upgrade to the recent version which is PSE2020. You are entitled to get the 'upgrade' price (- 20%) but you might even find better deals from big Web resellers.

Another question is

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE5 is very old and it may not work with a current version of W10. Even if you had the original installation disk you are likely to see runtime errors requiring additional components from Microsoft or the software would need to be run in a compatibility mode. My advice would be to get the latest version of PSE 2020. The interface is different but many of the tools will be familiar. Why not download the free trial and test it for 30 days before purchase.

The catalog format will be different and you don’t say whether you made an organizer backup before your old computer died. If so, or if you can find the catalog PSA file it may be possible to convert it from the Access data base to the current SqLite database in the PSE 2020 Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there has never been a download for PSE5. By that time, the license number was not kept on an activation server by Adobe;   it was only linked with your physical CD. 
On the other hand, even if I have been able to test reinstalling PSE5 on my Win 10 PC, there are known compatibility issues. 
It's time to upgrade to the recent version which is PSE2020. You are entitled to get the 'upgrade' price (- 20%) but you might even find better deals from big Web resellers.

Another question is how to move your photo files and catalog(s) to the new computer. Do you have backups?

Even if your old computer has died, the hard drive is probably still valid?

It's possible to convert PSE5 catalogs to the current format, but that requires additional steps. Ask if you need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the prompt response.  I followed your recommendation and downloaded the trial version which works like a charm on my new laptop.  Because I had previously licensed my old Photoshop Elements, I was able to get a $20 discount on my purchase.  Thanks again.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines