Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring to NAS?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Using PS Elements and LR 6. Wanting to set up a NAS system as getting too hard to manage file size and expansion on PC. Have had considerable issues with updating PS etc.on computers in the past and looking for the best pathway to transfer PSE and LR files etc. to the new storage system. The main goal of the NAS is Backing up photo files and giving expansion ability. 

Where can I find the best procedures to effect the transfers from the PC to NAS system?  I have a relatively limited set of computer skills but need to get this done. 

Many Thanks, 

Kind Regards,

Mike P.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear in mind that a backup needs there to be two copies of things. My concern is that you may plan to both move to a NAS and use it for backup, but you could be left completely at risk of losing everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, The first choice of systems that I am looking at is a 2bay system 6Tx2 in a mirrowed configuration that gives two copies as operating system and back up. Believe that I can piggyback another system onto that later if needed. Second choice is a 4 bay system 4TX2 as above. Obviously has built in expansion but initially more outlay. I think this is a less risk than using plug in hard drives. Am I going down the correct path??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst a mirrored system protects against a single disk failure, it does nothing to protect against virus attack or a physical issue. 

The normal recommendation is to have 3 disk sets. One on line and two back ups with one of those back ups off site.

Also bear in mind that Photoshop is only officially supported for local, non network, drives with the recommendation to save to local and then copy to the network.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for Your reply. Would the NAS/RAID be classified as Local? I presume from Your reply that I still need an external back up aside from the NAS? Is there a set of guidelines transfer PS & LR properly?

Regards Mike P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Internal drives can be set in a RAID configuration, but that is different to an external network. See this help article from Adobe

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, Thank You for the reply and very helpful information. Maybe I am better sticking to the "same old".

Mike P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't get me wrong. A back up plan is essential and a network, or external drives, can form part of that storage and backup plan.

But make sure that :

a. You have the ability to work live with files on your local PC drives, before storing on a network.

b. You have-at least one back up that is not connected to your PC and preferably a second that is stored elsewhere. 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines