Highlighted

Travel photos on 2nd (small) PC

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use Elements 15 and now have it on 2 computers, a small one for travel and my main one.

I am trying to work out the best way to continually organise things, so I can easily transfer my travel photos to my main PC after I return.

I do not use the cloud or want to use external storage for all my photos.  I will not keep a copy of the photos on my small PC.

I want all the photos from my small PC to be in my current (and only) catalogue on my main PC.

They have been manually tagged and I use facial recognition.  But I do not usually have albums or anything else created at this stage.

I also use smart tags, and am aware that once I delete a smart tag from a photo Elements is intelligent enough not to recreate that smart tag for that photo, will I lose all this info and it will start to recreate all the smart tags again once the photos have been moved?  Not so critical but useful to know for next time?

I have looked at a number of forum threads and the following seems the way to proceed.

But I need to know how to remove incorrect tags already saved to these photos first please, but I do not want to remove the other metadata.

(Can removing tags be done in bulk through Elements?) 

If this can be done then the following seems the way to go

1. Remove incorrect tags from all photos on small PC.

2. Save my new, correct tags (metadata) to all photos

3. Move/Copy the files in Explorer, this will allow the same file structure to add them to the main PC (I use date order)

4. Import into elements, and obviously create any new tags at this time.

Am I missing anything here, I get the impression the backup and restore options would not work as it is going into a catalogue that already exists and also they do not have the same folder structure.

Thank You

Leanna

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Greg_S. | Adobe Community Professional

What I still need to know is the following.

1. Does elements have any way to bulk remove keyword tags already saved to metadata.  If so please advise?   I noticed in another post you said this can happen but most users don't know how to do it?   

If you are talking about just bulk removing tags in the Organizer, then select the images in the grid and right-click on the tag icon in any of the images.  You will be presented with a choice to remove the tag. Note that an image may have several categories of tags and/or Album icons.  You have to right-click on the category from which you want to delete the tag.  The icons may also have more than one tag included under the icon, but only one can be removed at a time.

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.03.07_00h09m41s_001_.png

Removing a tag from the image does NOT remove it from the file's metadata, if the tag has been written to the file (e.g. via Ctrl+W).  In order to remove the metadata from the file, you have to go searching for buried treasure.  In the following screen shot, you will see the Information panel on the right of the Organizer.  You have to (1) click on the tiny Complete button to open up the full dialog.  Then you have to click on the tiny button with dots next to the IPTC heading (2) which opens a new dialog.  You can then delete individual keywords from the metadata in the text box (3) and save the file (4).  If you want to remove ALL of the metadata keywords, click the Remove IPTC Metadata button (5).

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.03.07_00h22m09s_002_.png

If you want to remove ALL of the metadata from multiple images, select the files.  In the Information panel, you will see the following:

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.03.07_00h34m22s_003_.png

Click on the Edit IPTC information button.  That will bring up a similar dialog to the previous Edit IPTC Information dialog.  Here, you can add keywords to the IPTC metadata and can either append or overwrite the existing keywords.  You can also Remove all IPTC data using the same button as appears in the previous dialog.  However, if you ADD a keyword to the IPTC keyword text box, it will not appear as a tag in the Organizer unless you import the file again (and I'm not sure if it will import the keyword even then).

This is all probably more information than you needed, but in responding to your question, I was also learning myself.

2. What information does the Events catagory save to metadata? 

I believe it just saves the Event name as an IPTC metadata keyword, but I could be wrong.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Travel photos on 2nd (small) PC

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use Elements 15 and now have it on 2 computers, a small one for travel and my main one.

I am trying to work out the best way to continually organise things, so I can easily transfer my travel photos to my main PC after I return.

I do not use the cloud or want to use external storage for all my photos.  I will not keep a copy of the photos on my small PC.

I want all the photos from my small PC to be in my current (and only) catalogue on my main PC.

They have been manually tagged and I use facial recognition.  But I do not usually have albums or anything else created at this stage.

I also use smart tags, and am aware that once I delete a smart tag from a photo Elements is intelligent enough not to recreate that smart tag for that photo, will I lose all this info and it will start to recreate all the smart tags again once the photos have been moved?  Not so critical but useful to know for next time?

I have looked at a number of forum threads and the following seems the way to proceed.

But I need to know how to remove incorrect tags already saved to these photos first please, but I do not want to remove the other metadata.

3. Move/Copy the files in Explorer, this will allow the same file structure to add them to the main PC (I use date order)

Am I missing anything here, I get the impression the backup and restore options would not work as it is going into a catalogue that already exists and also they do not have the same folder structure.

Thank You

Leanna

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Greg_S. | Adobe Community Professional

1. Does elements have any way to bulk remove keyword tags already saved to metadata.  If so please advise?   I noticed in another post you said this can happen but most users don't know how to do it?   

If you are talking about just bulk removing tags in the Organizer, then select the images in the grid and right-click on the tag icon in any of the images.  You will be presented with a choice to remove the tag. Note that an image may have several categories of tags and/or Album icons.  You have to right-click on the category from which you want to delete the tag.  The icons may also have more than one tag included under the icon, but only one can be removed at a time.

Removing a tag from the image does NOT remove it from the file's metadata, if the tag has been written to the file (e.g. via Ctrl+W).  In order to remove the metadata from the file, you have to go searching for buried treasure.  In the following screen shot, you will see the Information panel on the right of the Organizer.  You have to (1) click on the tiny Complete button to open up the full dialog.  Then you have to click on the tiny button with dots next to the IPTC heading (2) which opens a new dialog.  You can then delete individual keywords from the metadata in the text box (3) and save the file (4).  If you want to remove ALL of the metadata keywords, click the Remove IPTC Metadata button (5).

If you want to remove ALL of the metadata from multiple images, select the files.  In the Information panel, you will see the following:

Click on the Edit IPTC information button.  That will bring up a similar dialog to the previous Edit IPTC Information dialog.  Here, you can add keywords to the IPTC metadata and can either append or overwrite the existing keywords.  You can also Remove all IPTC data using the same button as appears in the previous dialog.  However, if you ADD a keyword to the IPTC keyword text box, it will not appear as a tag in the Organizer unless you import the file again (and I'm not sure if it will import the keyword even then).

This is all probably more information than you needed, but in responding to your question, I was also learning myself.

I believe it just saves the Event name as an IPTC metadata keyword, but I could be wrong.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 05, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We may need a little more information to assist you with the best strategy for transferring your travel photos to your main computer. 

First, it is not clear why or how you have ended up with incorrect tags for your photos on the travel PC.  Can you give us more detail, including what kind of tags (I.e.  Keyword tags, Smart tags or People, places and events tags) and how many potential images and tags need to be corrected?  Most tags can be removed in bulk through Elements, using different strategies.

We also need to know whether you have saved the tags metadata to the files.  This can happen automatically if you edit and save the file.  Or you can do it manually by using the File>Save metadata to file menu command, or the Ctrl+W shortcut.  (I'm assuming you are on Windows).

See, above.  Select files in the grid and hit Ctrl+W or use the menu command.

Yes, you will need to move or copy the files in Explorer from one PC to the other.  The file/folder structure doesn't really matter, but it is probably best to have some uniformity in the hierarchy.  I'm assuming that your are not concerned about duplicate files or folders.  However, once you have transferred the files to your main computer and imported them into your main catalog, ALL  further file operations (move, copy, rename) should be undertaken in Elements through the Folder panel otherwise Elements will lose track of the files.

Here's where we need to understand a little more about your existing and proposed workflow.  If you have  applied keywords and system tags to your files on your travel PC and have saved the tag metadata to your files, when you import the files into the catalog, you will be given the opportunity to automatically apply the imported file tags to a keyword tag in your existing catalog.  Depending on what you mean by "incorrect tags",  you can use this dialog as a way to remove the unwanted tags by unchecking the boxes of the tags you don't want.  Unfortunately, all of the imported tags go into the Imported Keyword Tags category.  You can then click and drag the tags to other categories in your main computer tag hierarchy. For further options, you can click on the Advanced button.

Ashampoo_Snap_2018.12.21_13h05m52s_001_.png

In the Advanced dialog, you can rename the imported tags and/or "map" the tags to an already existing tag in your keyword tag hierarchy.  If you want to use this option, you should create any new tags in the existing catalog before doing the import.  That way, the imported tags will be applied to the correct location rather than the Imported Keyword Tags category.

Ashampoo_Snap_2018.12.21_13h07m48s_002_.png

I agree that the backup/restore tool would not serve your purpose.

They have been manually tagged and I use facial recognition.

Any facial recognition you have performed on your travel PC will not be carried over to your main catalog.  Face Recognition will be performed again once the files have been imported and so will Smart Tagging, (if you leave auto-analysis on).  However, the People name tags will be imported as keyword tags.  I don't believe you can click and drag these names to the People category or change their category in the edit dialog.  But there is an easy way to transfer the name tags to the People category if you want to keep a clean hierarchy.

A.  Click on the Imported name tag checkbox to select all the imported files with the identified person.  This filters the grid to those photos.

B.  Hit Ctrl+A to select all of those photos in the grid.

C.  If necessary, create a new tag under the People category and tag the selected photos with the People tag.

D.  Delete the imported keyword tag name.

This reply is probably more than you bargained for, and I hope I haven't confused you.  But hopefully it provides you with some strategies to speed up your workflow.  Let us know if your questions have been answered, and give us some more of the requested details if any further explanation is needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the very detailed response. And no not confused at all.

Some additional info.

Re tags -

Keyword tags - I have decided to get very organised with my photos and as part of this to be consistent with my keyword tags.  I have over time updated/renamed keyword tags, ie I no longer use plurals and I know use complete proper names for my bird photo collection. So over time older tags have become obsolete. So I have keyword tags already saved to the metadata on the photo files that I want to remove. Some recently with my current travel photos (not so many really) but I included the query here to get a complete picture. 

At present I use windows to remove the tags, but this is a folder at a time.  So the query is, is there a way to remove keyword tags in the metadata from a larger group of photos, or all of them, as all the keyword tags I know require are saved within Elements so can then be saved to the file metadata, once the obsolete ones are deleted.

So re your comment - "Most tags can be removed in bulk through Elements, using different strategies".

Do you mean tags that are saved to the Metadata with this comment?  If so how?

Re the Events, People and Places tags.

Places - I no longer use this - When it reduced to 3 levels I moved to using Keyword tags instead.

People - Yes I know how to do this.  Thank You.  And for an overseas holiday just for 2 people, no problem at all.

Events - I would like to know what event info is saved to the metadata.  I am thinking of ditching this and going to Keywords also, as I don't think the event date or anything else is saved to metadata.  But would love to know?

I should say that I had a real issue with an earlier version of elements, so I am making sure my metadata is aways saved and useful so I could remake my catalogue if needed.  

Smart tags -  Thanks I thought that as I am moving the files via Explorer and then importing them into Elements again any I had deleted on the small PC would be recreated again.  So next time I'll ignore Smart tags until the photos get onto my main PC.

Re the advance tab, yes always use this way.  Thank you.

FYI I also always use a date hierarchy for my photo folders, so the new ones just get appended.  Over time have found this method the best option.

Thank You

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2019 0
Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your situation is a very common one, and there is no mystery about the various ways to deal with working with a desktop and a laptop.

You have decided for some mysterious reasons not to use them. You are in good hands with Greg to get help, but you are forgetting that what you are asking for:

can't be true is you share something between the laptop and the desktop.

The only catalog in your main PC is not accessible to your laptop. And yes, to avoid any problems like those you have mentioned, you need a single catalog. You have explicitly excluded the easy and foolproof solution to store the catalog together with the library on an external drive. You don't trust using the backup and restore process, which is the safer solution (you need it anyway).

My questions:

-  why no external drive? what's your backup strategy?

- how do you move or copy the data in the laptop to the desktop?

- Are you sure you won't use albums, stacks, version sets and creations in the future?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advice.

I do use Backup, stacks albums etc on my main PC and catalogue and I do use external storage for some photos but not all of them, as I mentioned in my first post.  However I do not want my catalogue or external storage linked to my small PC.  As the hard drive capacity is small I just want to move the photos and leave the small PC empty for next time.  I do not use it at home.  So there will be no ongoing sharing between PC's, just one move. My large PC is also a Laptop by the way - but a large one with a lot of storage. Which is why I choose to keep some photo files on it.

These queries have been answered.

3. Is there any way the backup restore option could be used to move files from the small PC, into the catalogue on the main one.   Answered as No.

4. Will smart tags that I have deleted on the small PC start again after the photos are imported to Elements on the large PC.  Answered as Yes.

Thank You

Leanna

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2019 0
Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 07, 2019 0
Leanna30 LATEST
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg,

Thank you just what I needed to know.

Leanna

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 07, 2019 0