• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating Place Tags As Photoshop Elements Changes Over Time???

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a long-time Photoshop Elements user, with 45K+ photos tagged with Keywords, People, Places and Events.  I believe I started with Version 10 on a Windows machine.  Whatever I started with, I had to build Place tags manually, and tagged 10's of 1,000's of pics.  At some point in the upgrade cycle, Adobe's Place function started using Google Maps, and had no ability to 'import' manually generated tags, so a whole new file hierarchy was started, under country names, such as "United States".  Annoying, but I gritted my teeth and stuck with the product line.  When I upgraded to Version 16, Google Maps was no longer used, and I could not create new Places.  Reluctantly I upgraded to Version 17, assuming some sort of compatibility would be achieved.  No.  Worse yet, Adobe now embraces 'Map Box', not compatible with my Google-based Places, or my manually-created Places.  I am disappointed.  If I create new Places in the US, they show up under "United States of America", as opposed to the old "United States", starting a whole new file hierarchy.  Ridiculous.  Call in support was persistent and creative in trying various work-arounds, such as renaming files and the like, but nothing they could come up with would allow the creation of one file structure.  I am *very* disappointed.  I have the further fear that Adobe's current romance with 'Map Box' will cool, and in a couple years they will go to yet another incompatible platform.  They have done that twice, why not a third time?!?  Here is what I want:  a drag-and-drop capability to move existing tag categories under new headings.  I have a number of US State file folders, for instance:  let me drag them under a new "United States" category.  Can anybody help me in the meantime?.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem!  See my post

MapBox Problem not compatible with Google Maps Tags

Using PSE 17 and previous versions of PSE, I have placed over 10000 photos on Google maps and created keywords and tags for each. When Google maps became no longer supported by PSE 2017, I purchased PSE 2019 and imported my photos and associated tags into PSE 2019. This seemed to work but when I began to add new places, I found some significant bugs:

One example is I have previously created in PSE2017 a category for USA and sub categories for the states and tags for the cities (Example: USA->Florida->Miami). The old key tags work but now when I add a new place name (USA->Florida->Key West), the data base adds a new category (USA->Florida->Key West), So I now have two categories named USA when I simply wanted to add Key West to the original hierarchy in the existing Florida sub-category.

This is just an example of one of my problems. It just seems that Map Box does not recognize the Google map hierarchy and wants to create a new one.

Another problem is that I could not create a category and tag for Havana, Cuba. Is this a  political problem or a MapBox problem?

Any help or workarounds would be appreciated.

I contacted MapBox and got an answer stating that MapBox is not compatible with Google Maps and the previous PSE map database,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meg:

Drat!  You are having exactly the same problem I have with the generation of a new file structure, and Adobe told me basically the same thing Map Box support told you:  not compatible, and no plan.  Frustrating.  Thanks for getting right back!

I tried your Cuba problem, and Elements would let me see it on the map, accept it and call it 'Done', but it did not tag the pic or add it to my Place list.  Weird.  So I tried 'Bogota, Columbia', and again it did not tag the pic, but DID add Columbia to my list of Places.  Double weird.

I wish us luck, it is going to take some!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never used geo-tagging, and instead have always used keyword tags for a simple hierarchy of places which serves my needs.  It would be possible to create a 3-level "places" hierachy, e.g. Country>State/City>Location. If further levels are required, multiple tags can be applied (although, this makes it more difficult to have an indented hierarchy).  Since the real reason to tag a file is to search for it at a later time, is there any real need to have a country top-level category?  And if you really need 4 (or more) levels, tagging an image in a hierarchy of California>Anaheim>Disneyland with additional tags of USA and Tomorrowland should give all the specificity and flexibility needed. 

Given all of the changes with Maps, I am glad I have stuck with keyword tagging instead of using Places.

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.02.19_10h47m32s_003_.png

I have a number of US State file folders, for instance:  let me drag them under a new "United States" category.  Can anybody help me in the meantime?.

I'm not sure if you mean you have US States files or tags.  If it is just folders that you want to tag with a United States tag, here is what I would do:

1.  Create a new keyword category called United States;

2.  Select the folders in the Folders panel (one at a time);

3.  Hit Ctrl+A to select all of the media in the folder;

4.  Click and drag the United States tag onto the grid.

If you want to tag each state with its own name, create a sub-category of the state name, and use the same method to tag the individual folders.

If you meant to say that you have a Places tag for each state and now want to place them under a United States category, but can't because of the changes in Maps, I would propose the following:

1.  Create a new keyword sub-category with the name of the state.

2.  Select the existing Places tag for that state to display all the images for that tag;

3.  Hit Ctrl+A to select all of the tagged media;

4.  Tag with the new state keyword tag.

5.  If desired, and to avoid confusion, delete the Places state tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This typical of Adobe, you buy software from them with features such as places, this stops working and rather than provide a fix for the software you HAVE PURCHASED they want you to upgrade for a feature you have already paid for.

I have had nothing but problems with ADOBE and their support is simply awful, i am looking actively for an alternative as it is clear they are only interested in selling faulty software!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. The map function is not good. For example, I search for a location and it is found (sometimes correctly). When I add that location nothing happens or if I select a photo and add the location (which was found) the photo gets added to another location that is not even close!

The map function is terrible !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the process of replacing all of the places tags with Keyword location tags organized as Country/state/city/attraction or location.  It has taken about 4 hours over a couple of days to accomplish for 67K photos (not all of which had map tags).  I’ll never use the map function again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be the dumbest person on the face of the earth.  At some point, when I discovered that the new version of Organizer switched to locating Places on a map, it never occurred to me to ignore it and just create (or keep using, really) keyword tags for locations. That’s brilliant. I never wanted wanted to tag so as USA/STATE/CITY/LOCATION in the first place; the location name alone (“Disneyland”) is plenty.

And when installed Organizer 2019 today and discovered that the map provides had changed and the old place tags were messed up - well, this is my last go around with Adobe. I’ve already switched to Affinity Photo and Designer anyway; I just need to find a different asset manager than Organizer and then figure out how to export my existing tags as EXIF data in the individual pictures.  Any suggestions about how to do that correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

steveb523  wrote

And when installed Organizer 2019 today and discovered that the map provides had changed and the old place tags were messed up - well, this is my last go around with Adobe. I’ve already switched to Affinity Photo and Designer anyway; I just need to find a different asset manager than Organizer and then figure out how to export my existing tags as EXIF data in the individual pictures.  Any suggestions about how to do that correctly?

To ensure that metadata is added to a file, you need to select the file in the Organizer grid and press Ctrl+W.   However, if you go to another asset manager, there is no guarantee that the software will accept your tags from Elements.  Also, if you have tagged any videos, those tags will not transfer, and nor will any Album information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems - just updated from Elements 13 to 19.  Now I have a US folder and a USA folder.  Very annoying that changes are made that do not allow for one file structure for locations.  Is Adobe planning to resolve this problem?  I have thousands of images that would have to be retagged!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say about this message and all the answers is:  ME TOO!!!  The "Places" tagging is a complete mess. 

Another feature that has changed from version to version is the capability to handle PDF files.

Good software should always be backward compatible to previous versions or there should be a converter to upgrade old data (catalogs in this case) to the new version.  Adobe has not done this, and I, too, would jump to another photo organizer if there were an alternative that was:

a) reasonably priced

b) reasonable convenient to convert from the Adobe PSE Organizer

c) demonstrated a business strength to carry on into the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A very late addtion to this issue. The map label problem is horrible. With 2019 it was bad enough but 2021 made it worse. I can't find any way to consolidate locations as sub fioles. (E.g., my Italy pictures have at least five different tag schemes even though I have only gone to Rome!) Furthermore, I cannot expand thumbnails to see larger versions unless I leave on the tags/information panel. If I did not have so much time invested in this mess, I would switch to something else. Adobe, wake up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines