• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What date field is used by Organizer to sort?

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Organizer and sorting by date (Newest to oldest, or Oldest to newest), my photos are not showing in exact date-time order.

I know that the metadata has many date fields, and I'm wondering which one Organizer is using. (I'm thinking that Organizer is not using the camera original date and there is a discrepancy between that date and the date being used.)

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Old question:

https://johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_All_the_different

Theoretically, that's simple: the organier only uses the 'date_taken'. All indexing is based on that kind of date. The problem is that the downloader has problems to recognize that type of date, especially from Apple devices and on file types like PNG or some video formats. When the real date_taken is missing, the downloader will often use other date fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old question:

https://johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_All_the_different

Theoretically, that's simple: the organier only uses the 'date_taken'. All indexing is based on that kind of date. The problem is that the downloader has problems to recognize that type of date, especially from Apple devices and on file types like PNG or some video formats. When the real date_taken is missing, the downloader will often use other date fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back.

PSE 2021 shows "Date Time Original" in the Camera Data (EXIF). But I'm assuming that is the same as the 'date_taken'.

I'm curious as to how this particular image acquired its metadata, since it shows as being taken by iPhone, and the image is from 1987.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorting by date is very strange in the organizer. I have used the command "save metadata in file" for 35.000 photos in one catalogue. Unfortunately Elements Organizer has OVERWRITTEN all dates in the photos with the date when I used the command. Unbelievable! Without warning: even all EXIF-Dates were overwritten. The whole order of my photos was distroyed. Then I found that the organizer uses the OLD EXIF-Date when the photos. I would to like to write these dates back in the EXIF-area. How can I do this? Where can I find the date which Elements is using for sorting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an I-Phone 11 with IOS Version 14.5.1 I use Photoshop Elements 2019. All the .MOV files are dated with the date that I uploaded the photos from the I-Phone rather than the actual date that the photo was taken. Since the Live Photo feature saved my still photos as .MOV all my photos have the same date (my upload date).

How can I upload photos from my I-phone and have the "date taken" on the grid display rather than the date of the upload?

Thanks

Link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@graemel15561016, the circumstances under which files transferred from an iPhone are placed into the wrong date folder has been inconsistent, in my experience.  Take a look at this thread.  The date taken, if available, will almost certainly be displayed in the Info Panel>Metadata.  While it may be tedious, depending on how many photos are involved, you can change the date displayed (and sorted) in the grid.  If you have multiple files with the same wrong date, they can be adjusted in batches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines