• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I stuck in grayscale?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to paint a certain color it always puts down the gray value of it, even the backgrounds I try to put in are in grayscale. On the tab for my picture it says (Layer 0, Gray/8). I'm not sure how and when I did it, so I have no clue how to put it back, if it was me.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Image>Mode>RGB

If you start a new blank image and you have something like word processing text already in the clipboard when you do this, PSE will often want to make a grayscale image. You need to watch the mode menu in the New File window.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image>Mode>RGB

If you start a new blank image and you have something like word processing text already in the clipboard when you do this, PSE will often want to make a grayscale image. You need to watch the mode menu in the New File window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the most useless answers I've ever seen. I have the same problem and this does not begin to tell me how to cure it. I am trying to add background to something but I'm stuck in grayscale. I am not opening "new," and I don't see the menu the author means.I have wasted 10 minutes and still have no solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP's situation was that they created a new document that was set to grayscale because the clipboard had text in it.  Her answer was to make sure you have RGB set when doing a New (overriding the default of whatever the clipboard's color mode is), and if you already have a grayscale document you can convert it to color using Image / Mode / RGB.

If your situation is different than the OP's then please clarify what your situation is.  Her answer is exactly correct for the OP's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this corrects my problem. Much appreciated!

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:12 AM, ssprengel <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TyQ-zU8ik8

For future reference! QUICK AND EASY 

A tutorial how to change gray channel to rgb color in adobe photoshop cc. This will convert a black and white image to color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your answer. Works. TY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I am not in grayscale. I have an image over the background, and a text layer over that. I'm simply trying to paint a swash (to layer behind the text). The brush will not change colour. It stays in a grayish shade of my background image (a purplish hue). I'm a Photoshop newbie. Please help! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of PSE?

Please post a screenshot of your work area, including the open layers palette.

To upload the screenshot, click the Insert Image icon.

insert image.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. It seems like just a small thing but it is people like you in the world who are willing to help people that makes the world a better place. God bless you!!! You saved my project, was stuck for ages on this issue. GG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines