• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why are paint bucket colors only shades of gray?

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using paint bucket for fill colors and though I see and choose colors from the spectrum all I am getting is shades of gray.  What happened to the colors for the foreground and background, why does it only come out shades of gray even though in picker it shows I have picked a color?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

you are probably working in a black and white (grayscale) document. go to image> mode> RGB color.

another possibilty: you may be working on a mask. press esc, then go to go to layer> new layer, and se if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are probably working in a black and white (grayscale) document. go to image> mode> RGB color.

another possibilty: you may be working on a mask. press esc, then go to go to layer> new layer, and se if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly esty, thanks, I'm working with black and white line drawings, image> mode> RGB color did the trick, big thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!! Thank you...

your advise >IMAGE > mode> RGB made it work..

compared to... when when I clicked RGB near the swatches it didint  help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I struggled with the same problem for ages, having checked the colour mode was on RGB, adjusting the hue etc. The solution that worked for me was that I realized the black & white adjustment layer on the image I was working on was blocking the colour that I was trying to apply so everything was appearing as grey. To resolve I needed to go into the B&W adjustment layer and erase the black and white from the area of colour that I was trying to apply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOW DID YOU DO THAT?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issues and my layer mask is not on an adjustment layer. My mask is on a shape and when I select the brush tool with the mask selected and the color comes out grey. My mode is RGB. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. Ugh. I'm working on a new document (created with RGB, not grayscale). My Mode is RGB in PS. I'm so frustrated!! My paint bucket tool drops gray, but my layer on the left shows red (that's what I want). Any other suggestions, please? Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost 3 years later I am having this issue and can't figure it out. Did you happen to get a correct way to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nevermind I found it - up at the top the opacity was set way low. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, it solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved for you maybe... NOT ME! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Try this : Right click on blank space and select Normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, this finally solved it for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem and then noticed up above in the Menu Bar the Opacity was set at < 100%.  With Opacity set at 100% my Paint Bucket now pours black instead of gray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here for an answer and accidentally found my answer on my own.  I had accidentally hit CTRL-SHIFT-Y and turned on the Gamut warning for the layer I was working on.  Either hit that combo again or go to "View" and uncheck Gamut warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines